ATX Community

ATX Client Advisory Board

HV Ken

• 2 weeks later...

1) ATX *please* give us the option to retain the Last View/arrangement of Return Manager and E-file Manager in which we were working. E.g., E-file Manager is most useful once I've sorted it from latest to first returns e-filed, but it always reverts to its default, Client Names in alphabetical order, when I re-visit that manager. Two extra clicks to get back to what works best for me . . . why?!

Likewise, the later in the Season it gets, I usually want to see *only* Incomplete returns -- sometimes Individuals, sometimes Partnerships, etc. -- but I'm always forced to re-choose from the whole menu. Save Last View/Desktop would be a gawdsend, the way I work.

2) Sorry, but another worst thing about Print Manager is that it does not allow us to over-write a previously-PDF'd return (using ATX's native PDF printer). Try that, and you get just a zero-byte file. Why can't ATX just ask me, "Are you sure you want to over-write this file?" (as virtually all other applications ask), and in one click let me do that?! (As ii is, I have to pre-emptively re-name the file, via Explorer, then, back in ATX PDF mode, re-re-name my new file to its ATX-native nomenclature.) Always a hassle, and, doubly so, when you get a 'call' from another app in the midst of what simply should be an over-writing of an earlier-printed return.

Hopefully yours, TaxCPANY

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an annoying problem: creating e-files people whose names are accepted differently by different agencies.

Example: John Joseph Smith & Jana Louise Jones-Smith.

Fed e-file requires John J Smith and J L Jones-Smith

state e-file only takes John J Smith and Jana L Jones (they've never caught on to her full name change)

To e-file these folks currently, one must create and submit the Federal, wait _at least_ until it has been "Transmitted to Agency", then re-open the return, change Jones-Smith to Jones, create and submit the state e-file. Once THAT has been "Transmitted to Agency", one can then go back YET AGAIN and fix the names. Keeping careful notes all the while of what name is accepted by which agency.

Any other way results in rejected e-files.

If they had a place on the state e-file page for any special name requirements, all that extra work would be taken away. It's not even that it's so MUCH work -but rather trying to track all that while frantically making sure all returns get properly submitted.

Catherine

Here's an annoying problem: creating e-files people whose names are accepted differently by different agencies.

Example: John Joseph Smith & Jana Louise Jones-Smith.

Fed e-file requires John J Smith and J L Jones-Smith

state e-file only takes John J Smith and Jana L Jones (they've never caught on to her full name change)

To e-file these folks currently, one must create and submit the Federal, wait _at least_ until it has been "Transmitted to Agency", then re-open the return, change Jones-Smith to Jones, create and submit the state e-file. Once THAT has been "Transmitted to Agency", one can then go back YET AGAIN and fix the names. Keeping careful notes all the while of what name is accepted by which agency.

Any other way results in rejected e-files.

If they had a place on the state e-file page for any special name requirements, all that extra work would be taken away. It's not even that it's so MUCH work -but rather trying to track all that while frantically making sure all returns get properly submitted.

Catherine

Catherine,

We do returns for all 50 states. I have yet to see an issue with names on a state return. Can you be more specific about which states? We use full first name, middle initial and full last name(s). ATX truncates and sends to the IRS automatically.

Catherine,

We do returns for all 50 states. I have yet to see an issue with names on a state return. Can you be more specific about which states? We use full first name, middle initial and full last name(s). ATX truncates and sends to the IRS automatically.

One client has hyphenated middle name; goes through fine for Federal. Massachusetts has never changed their computers to accept that hyphenated name. First part only.

Another client has a Slavic name. Federal takes full first name and surname with the final vowel. Massachusetts requires dropping the final vowel on the surname, and will only take the first initial of the first name.

The main source of the problem is the state of Mass. -- but regardless of where it originates, it is one royal PITA to deal with.

One client has hyphenated middle name; goes through fine for Federal. Massachusetts has never changed their computers to accept that hyphenated name. First part only.

Another client has a Slavic name. Federal takes full first name and surname with the final vowel. Massachusetts requires dropping the final vowel on the surname, and will only take the first initial of the first name.

The main source of the problem is the state of Mass. -- but regardless of where it originates, it is one royal PITA to deal with.

Sounds like a single state issue. MA causes us all troubles. The healththcare system is a paper and logistical nightmare!!

Ever since ATX started doing the truncation automatically, we have had no name issues. Sounds like you have a couple of clients that the system has name issues with.

• Like 1

@Catherine -

Thanks for your timely post about the MA name issue. This helped me with my one MA client. Client changed name in 2011, so I changed in software. Then MA rejected for name / SSN mismatch. Thanks to your post I knew how to fix it. Otherwise, I would never have realized that I should use a different name on the state as for federal! This was especially useful since it took another day for fed to ack.

But on the other hand, it's worth noting that the cumbersome fix is the same on other software (I'm using TRX's TaxWorks).

@Kea -- I'm very glad that my adventures helped you.

Yes, Massachusetts has a real problem with not accepting changed names -- even when the source is their own incorrect information! If they just had a checkbox on the return for "name has changed since last return" it would probably go through. But NO, they can't do something that simple. Instead we get to keep notes on our clients of which name goes with which e-file. Sigh.