ATX Community

It's crunch time

ILLMAS

Me, too. (That whole shoemaker's children thing.) I usually do mine last. In CT we now have a 31 October deadline. But I own farmland in IL, which will honor the federal deadline but not accept e-files after 17 October. So I'm going to try to transmit mine by 17 October if at all possible.

Trying to get most of the complex returns out by 17 October so I can e-file including states. Will still have a few more after 17 October that may need paper state returns. Just finished two for NC clients who were NOT in a county in Hurricane Irene's path. Have an S-corp that I don't e-file and would save until the end if I were doing his personal also, but he does his own personal and is anxious for his K-1. I might wait for the 18th to complete his, though. And, I had a woman who has an average return that we bang out in a couple of hours while she sits here; she just called for an appointment !! I tried to book her 18 October or later, but she's going to VA to care for a sick brother by then and needs it sooner, so she's coming in this Friday.

I got mine done a week or so ago, but didn't want to file til I got the funds into my solo 401(k). So I filed friday, but haven't received acks since then. Bleh. Another pick-up in a few minutes, I have a new partnership being held up by one of the partners that 'took care of it' by filing it all on her personal Sch C. Has to tell my client or me just what all the expenses were for. So SHE won't get a late filing penalty, but my client and her wife will unless she gets to it quickly. Like really quickly.

IRS computers are down for scheduled maintenance each Columbus Day Weekend. Lousy time, I know. This explanation from CCH:

The IRS will be down from 9:00 p.m. ET on Saturday, October 8, 2011, until 5:00 a.m. ET on Tuesday, October 11, 2011, (Columbus Day weekend). A routine system maintenance build and the annual power outage used by the IRS to perform critical operation and maintenance programs, to enhance building infrastructure, and to upgrade various computer systems is scheduled to occur during this time.

Returns received by ProSystem after 9:00 p.m. ET on Saturday, October 8, 2011, will be sent to the IRS after the outage on Tuesday, October 11, 2011.

Definitely Monday 31 October. The IRS is continuing e-filing through 31 October. CT and NY seem to be continuing e-filing through 31 October. IL will accept paper returns through 31 October but e-filed returns only through 17 October for CT residents like me who own IL farmland. Need any other state info?