ATX Community

Suggest Asset Depreciation Prog.

rob

We use Easy Acct (Taasc's) for Asset Depreciation program. (Windows 98 computer we run remotely from our network.) Features are it allows one to break Assets down in groups and then in group, into categories.

We would prefer a newer software (of course). Any suggestions? We don't want to have to buy a whole suite just for the Depreciation part of it. Yes, we have tried the one in the ATX tax system.

You might want to look at www.cmifixedassets.com I have been using the 'free' version for many years (none of my clients have more than 50 assets. I pay an annual maintenance fee for updates and have placed perhaps 3 calls over the years for assistance. I don't now see that free plus annual maintenance is an option but probably still worth a look. I like it, I like the reports and the tech support when needed is great.

• Like 1

I like Depreciation Calculator from Cellutionware Software. It is like $400 to get it and it cost about $190 per year for upgrades and support. Kinda weird that they only talk to you via email. No phone calls. I have used that software for about 15 years and it is good stuff. Prints out reports that look just like CCH printed them out. Book, Tax, State, and AMT calcs. Groups and locations. I really like the product, and I think it is a steal fro the price and what it does. But it does not run on a network, and they have no plans to make it do so.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Lodi, CA

An IRS agent recommend we use a program called BNA for a client that has thousands of assets in different states, currently they are keeping it on excel and it has worked well for over 15yrs. For my accounting clients I use this software called FAM (Fixed Asset Manager) from Proseries, I still use FAM2000 (back from year 2000) to this day. I don't remember from what year they changed so that you need to buy the next year FAM to transfer to the next year, did I mention FAM is owned by Intuit (see current QB Pro-advisor topic).

• 2 weeks later...

Monitoring my clients' fixed assets -- including those with over 50 assets (upto hundreds, in upto a dozen jurisdictions) -- costs me nothing but time, for which I've always been paid in full. Back before 1993, the last year for which I have paper copies of IRS Pub. 534, I devised Excel worksheets (using Pub. 534's tables) to calc & monitor my clients' fixed assets -- e.g., each topmost row an asset, each column a year; some rows down, each asset's AMT depreciation -- subtotaled AND the *difference* captured -- in just one row -- then, further rows down, both the ordinary A/D then the AMT A/D. (N.B. Have a new tab for each differently-lived asset -- 3 vs. 5 vs. 7 vs. 15 years, etc.)

It's so *obvious,* in Excel, that you could prove to ATX's Asset History -- until CCH killed that. More importantly, it's so obvious that I've *never* had an auditor -- whether it's the IRS or a state/locality investigating compliance with 'simple' tax regs or even Federal Acquisition Requlations (as state & locality agencies also insist upon) -- reject the PDF snapshot of the pertinent section of the worksheet I've submitted in any client's defense.

I.e., use a comprehensive Excel workbook for clients' FA, and you won't have to 'subscribe' to any other vendor's propriety format and excess fees. VTY, TaxCPANY

P.S. Would anyone like me to post an example of my FA workbook?