ATX Community

Woo hoo sent a client packing

ILLMAS

TP: Last year you gave me a discount, are going to give to me this year?

Me: No, it will be the same fee as last year just without the discount.

TP: Ok then I will look for someone else then.

Me: Good and thank you for calling.

I would of gladly said yes if this was a any other TP, but he takes so much of my time, calls to tell me I did something wrong because his coworker deducted something and I didn't, why can't he deduct improvements to his principle residence etc..... Honestly I feel relieved, and I really hoping he doesn't return back ;)

• Like 4

Yes, it is a good feeling, after the initial one of rejection, to be rid of problematic clients. It has happened to me rarely but, except for one case, I have been relieved, like you. Don't take him back, either, unless he is a good, prompt payer and agrees to abide by your 'rules.' Life is too short to be dealing with people like that. You'll now have time to better serve other clients and even a new one or two! Deep breath and feel good!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Got a call today from a lady who just wanted me to do her Schedule C; her husband doesn't want to pay for me to do Schedule D (he day-trades; it would be pricey). Told her sorry, don't do that in my practice. That did feel nice.

There's another one (a brand-new referral) who has already caused me far more trouble than she'd be worth if I charged her 10x more. Since her return is 98% finished, I'll give her the boot afterward - she should have plenty of time to find a new sucker (um, preparer) before next year.

• Like 2

From time time I also make the "life is too short" decision. My avocation (see image) has the same issue as well. I would be comfortable saying customers (as well as coaches and players) fire (eject) themselves, I just make it official.

May be a wishful hunch, but it sure seems like I get several orders shortly after a refund, but it is an absolute fact after an ejection, the game is much more fun for all concerned. There is an old saying amongst umpires that the only ejection you regret is one you did not make (I also include those not made soon enough) - same can apply to ending a client relationship.

Might not work for you, but I have a few customers who were close to being fired, but agreed never to write, call, email, fax, or do anything but order each year. I use a similar tactic on the ball field, restricting a coach to the dugout, never to be seen or heard the rest of the game.

• Like 1