ATX Community

Updating EIN info

Kea

A friend of mine (not a client - yet) recently inherited her Mom's share of a partnership (other partner is her uncle). From reading the FAQs on the IRS website, they do not need a new EIN. I can find all kinds of info on getting a new EIN, but I can't find how you change the name (or anything else) on a EIN.

How is this done? Can it be done online?

Thanks.

Kea --

Why does anything in the partnership need changing? Did the partnership name change? That's what is associated with the EIN.

If there wasn't enough ownership change to affect the partnership, I think your friend just takes over her mom's share, and the only thing that changes is the name and SSN on the K-1. For this year, there will be two for that share -- one for the mom, from 1/1/09 to DOD, then another from DOD thru EOY for daughter. Next year, that share will just have a single K-1 for your friend.

Kea --

Why does anything in the partnership need changing? Did the partnership name change? That's what is associated with the EIN.

If there wasn't enough ownership change to affect the partnership, I think your friend just takes over her mom's share, adn the only thing that changes is the name and SSN on the K-1. For this year, there will be two for that share -- one for the mom, from 1/1/09 to DOD, then another from DOD thru EOY for daughter. Next year, that share will just have a single K-1 for your friend.

Catherine is correct. The EIN belongs to the Partnership. If the percentage of ownership is 50% or less, nothing is affected., as per the EIN.

Thanks.

BTW, my friend went to the bank with her uncle to change the name on the bank account. She took the death certificate and letters of testamentary. But the people at the bank told her that they couldn't change it without a new partnership agreement. The uncle doesn't remember ever having a previous agreement. Both the uncle's CPA and my friend's lawyer said that the agreement was not necessary. I thought changing it with IRS might be sufficient for them. But the IRS doesn't seem to be in any hurry to get the new name. And even if they send them a letter, I'm not sure how long it takes for IRS to respond - if at all.

I'm not sure what else they should need to change the name at the bank. Maybe just find someone else to talk to?

Thanks

>>find someone else to talk to?<<

Why bother? Just order new checks that say anything they want--nobody knows or cares about the back story. The k-1s, W2s, and 1099s will of course still show the old name, but that's as common as belly button lint and nobody gives it half a thought.

Since a partnership does not actually have to be in writing, although it's always better to have it in writing, the bank is actually wrong to insist on a written agreement. But you've alrady got several good ideas.

1. Ignore the bank account name, just order new checks with the new name. The check printing company will not care, and the bank goes by the account number, and will process them just fine.

2. File a state 'legal name' form, then take that to the bank. Go to your state's web site, do a search for 'name change' and you should find forms, instructions, etc. there.