ATX Community

Schedule D Transactions

raven1818

Have any members had need to put in more than 100 schedule D transactions this tax season. I thought ATX was going to give us the ability to send attachments with the individual returns this season for our "day trader" clients. Has anyone had to deal with this problem this season. I know in the past there have been lively discussions regarding this matter.

There is the ability to attach .pdf files. However, the IRS will not accept an attachment with the information. All transactions must be entered into the tax return.

If the day trader can provide you ALL the NEEDED INFO in an excel spreadsheet, you can import directly into the program. You must make sure the spreadsheet is configured correctly to get the right information in the correct place.

Otherwise, get ready to hone your typing skills and charge a lot more....

>>the IRS will not accept an attachment with the information<<

Your software should have a way to do this. The instructions to Schedule D (now including Form 8949) still say "Instead of reporting each of your transactions on a separate line of Form 8949, you can report them on an attached statement containing all the same information as Form 8949 and in a similar format."

>>Any futher news on this question?<<

You mean the question of whether we are supposed to follow the IRS instructions I quoted?

How about the actual Form 8453 we are discussing? It has a check box for attaching "Form 8949, Sales and Other Dispositions of Capital Assets, (or a statement with the same information)."

In the past I've entrered the entries or attached statments to the 8453. This year I had one client send me a csv file. I already have received it from the broker but I'm waiting for the client to bring in his info to begin the return. I hope to try the download and see how smoothly it goes. ATX does have that import worksheet. I want to try to take advantage of this more.

Thanks to everyone for responding. I ended up using the ATX feature for schedule D and added the information from the broker statement via the client "CSV" file. It worked like a dream and it even fills in the sale/cost information on the state returns where necessary. I really must say the software has greatly improved over the last 10 years I have used it.

I asked this client ahead of time because he usually has a lot of transactions. I asked him to get the file and either send it to me or bring it in on a flash drive. Apparently, he had the broker send it to me directly by email. I think most brokers can do an excel file or csv file directly.