ATX Community

Efile Rejection - Spouse decesed

B. Jani

Filing married joint as one spouse died on May 2011. Using ATX Max.

I am getting reject from federal efile with the following reject info:

MEFFDIND-035

"Primary Date of Death" in the return must match that in the e-file database.

I am looking at death certificate and it does matches with the date on top of 1040.

when i click on the error code in efile reject, it takes me to the SS field on efile form. I checked the SS and that is correct as per the W2 and last year tax return.

How do i fix this.

I see that there is a check mark box under the ERO PIN for POA or Personal Rep. Do I need to mark this box?

Help Please.

TIA.

• 2 weeks later...

I know you said you didn't mix them up, but double check every place the filer and spouse are listed for check marks for spouse, etc. Usually, we have the husband listed first. When I have the wife as surviving spouse, I put her first as filer with the deceased husband 2nd as spouse. There are several places to make changes including filer info, W2s, 1099s that are marked as filer or spouse. Not saying that's your problem, just saying double check.

It may be that you will just have to paper-file this return. My suspicion is that the date of death doesn't match because the iRS database has not been updated recently enough that they have any date of death on record. It seems to me like I have had problems in the past when the spouse's date of death was after the tax year end, or even late in the year. I don't remember the exact error message that I got, but I am wondering if this is your issue.

I sent client to SS office to check out and guess what? The efficient SS office put DOD as 05/02/11 instead of 05/13/11. I have no idea how the number 13 become number 2. Finally client was able to convince SS people to correct the date about 10 days ago and as per SS office, now the correct DOD on the file. Now after a week when i efiled again, it was rejected for the same reason. So i have to wait and see when IRS computer will update from SS info. Really frustrating that error at one end creates problem at other and we as tax preparer have to be at the mercy of them.

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a rejection for a 2011 death where the DOD did not match the Social Security Death Index (SSDI). But since the SSDI is available on-line, you can easily find out what the "official" date of death was and resubmit the e-file accordingly. In my case there was only a one day difference - maybe he died at midnight.

Just had a rejection for a 2011 death where the DOD did not match the Social Security Death Index (SSDI). But since the SSDI is available on-line, you can easily find out what the "official" date of death was and resubmit the e-file accordingly. In my case there was only a one day difference - maybe he died at midnight.

i can't find a link to search ssdi except for sites like ancestory.com