ATX Community

1098-B income for child

Janitor Bob

My client is the custodian of the brokerage account for her young grandson. Client received a 1098-B (gross proceeds $1,078.98). Recipient's name is my client, Custodian FBO "grandson's name". Recipient's identification number is grandson's SSN.

Does my client's grandson need to have a return prepared for him since this unearned income is over $950?

My client is the custodian of the brokerage account for her young grandson. Client received a 1098-B (gross proceeds $1,078.98). Recipient's name is my client, Custodian FBO "grandson's name". Recipient's identification number is grandson's SSN.

Does my client's grandson need to have a return prepared for him since this unearned income is over $950?

Yes. After you enter basis, his earnings most likely will be near $0, so no tax consequences to the child or the parents. If you do not file the return, an CP2000 will be in the grandson's future.

this was not a "covered" sale, so no cost is stated on the 1099-B.....Should I tell grandmother to contact the broker for cost information?

YES. The broker get paid every year the investment is in their company, so it is (in my mind) the least the broker can do for their paying customer. These brokers act like providing basis is something new....

• 2 weeks later...

Received cost information from broker today. Gross proceeds were $1,079, but cost was $1,087....-$8. So does child need to file a return based on gross proceeds or not since income not above $950..excuse the dumb question, but I do not want child to get a letter for non-filing. and I am confused as to what they consider gross income.

The tax side of me believes that since AGI is less than $950, No filing required,

The bookkeeper side of me sees gross proceeds of $1,1079 as gross income