ATX Community

Losing steam

ILLMAS

Hopefully I am not the only one that this has happened to before, but I have TP that comes in every couple of years with various years, last time I prepared a tax return was back in 2010, I gave him a discount because I did like 3 years for him. Well it took him about 7-9 months to pay me, three weeks ago TP calls me and tell me he had a visit from an IRS agent and was given 30 days to submit the missing years, he calls me and I tell him I would need a retainer or to be paid in full before any works is done and client agrees. Fast forward to yesterday, he drops off the documents but no payment and now I don't feel motivated to prepare them even if he pays me when they are finished. Little things like that can ruin someone day.

MAS

• Like 1

Don't let this ruin your day. The only thing that has changed from the day before yesterday to yesterday is that the guy's documentation changed addresses. Without the agreed upon retainer, you should feel zero compulsion to even lift a finger over this info. If it were me, even with the retainer, it would be on a shelf until after next Tuesday. In fact, I do have one that brought in his info for 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011 completely unannounced on April 2nd. We told him it will be a month before we even think about looking at it. He said - that's fine, I am in no hurry. Well I guess not. 2008? Really?

I am stuck on 22 to get finished. I do two and two come in. I have completed all those that we told would be finished. Now it is very low key. If I get them done I am a hero, if not, they were told when they brought their info that they would be on extension. I am truly in coast mode in my mind.

• Like 2

Do NOT do any work on those past returns. Next Wednesday send him an email that you will be in your office on_________ at_________ and he may drop off a check of $____ or pick up his materials. Or, insist upon cash if you think that's best. When he doesn't show or doesn't bring money, send all his stuff to him certified mail, return receipt requested, or other trackable way.

Ken - I could not agree more - except when that guy brought that stuff in, there were 55 returns in-house (current year) to be done in front of his. I will not jeopardize any of those clients for one like this. He has had more than ample time to get his 2008 done. 12 days before the SOL runs its course and he brings it in - I have a hard time getting excited about that. Oh, and this is not a new client - I prepare multiple years returns for him every three of four years. And since there are mulitple businesses, well....enough said. But I do get your point.

Do NOT do any work on those past returns. Next Wednesday send him an email that you will be in your office on_________ at_________ and he may drop off a check of $____ or pick up his materials. Or, insist upon cash if you think that's best. When he doesn't show or doesn't bring money, send all his stuff to him certified mail, return receipt requested, or other trackable way.

The only problem is that you spend the time and money sending it by certified mail. Another problem is like the other day a client sent her documents by certified mail. I wasn't here to sign for it and ended up having to go several miles to the post office and stand in line for half an hour to pick it up. I told her it would be better to xerox her documents, mail the copies to me and keep the originals. She said that is what she had done. I raised her fee $ 50.00 for the inconvenience.

• Like 2

Tell him he is about to lose his refund for 08, but that you have to have his payment of $XXX before you even look at it. And set that payment HIGH. And that, unless he does pay now, you want him to pick up his documents. Have a form ready for him to sign, acknowledging his receipt of his documents back. Then the ball is in his court. Why should you have to pay to send him his stuff, or fool with storing it?

I had a similar client a few years ago.....He had not filed taxes in 5 or 6 years and IRS had finally caught up to him. I prepared his oldest two years so he would not lose his refund. He paid me for those two years, but when I told him I would need paid in advance for the next three, he never returned. I still have all of his W-2's and 1099's for those years that he left with me.....I assume that when the IRS eventually catches up to him (he is an address-hopper), he will show up to have more years prepared (or at least to ask for his paperwork).

Funny thing is he had refunds for the two years I prepared....and an initial review indicated that the other years would likely be refunds as well. You would think he would want that money....or at least want to file to have the refunds offset whatever child support debt he is running from.....Instead, he has lost one year and in a few days will lose another.