ATX Community

NT - Just Wondering About Aurora Tragedy

JohnH

Why do people bring children to a tax appointment? It is the same "lack of knowing how to be a parent" disease. There was a baby there less than a year old.

No one can convince me that a couple cannot find someone to watch their children for an hour, or maybe two for a complex return, to allow the parents to give full attention to their tax return. I get thoroughly disgusted at the number of people who apparently do not understand the value of my time helping them.

I think this year, I will increase fees for those that bring their small children that interfere with the process of doing their return.

Jack - - - I have had the same issues - -but mostly the 2 yr olds - - I once had a client bring his new dog - -who growled and went after my teenage daughter - -did I mention I have always worked from home?

John - -that was my first thought too - -saw an interview on TV with the parents of 2 children who were NOT hurt - - -they never quite answered the question - - -

I believe the same thoughts crossed the minds of many parents and/or grandparents. I did not feel guilty about thinking that; just very, very sad.

As for children at tax appointments. It can often be a nuisance. However, there are clients who just want me to meet their new baby. I generally send a congratulations and often a gift card for clients who have new babies. Babies add to the complexity of the return and clients really like to know that you care about them personally.

I have dozens of refrigerator magnets stuck on the side of my metal desk. These entertain small children for a long time. They are allowed to arrange them however they like, and, if they are good they get a treat when they leave. I would prefer for them not to be there, but generally they are well-behaved. Also, over the years, many of these children have grown to be clients themselves and are now bringing their little ones to appointments. I also have a few "little metal cars" sitting around for the little boys.

Children above the age of about 6 are normally well behaved, and will even wait in the waiting room. I get peeved when the smaller ones are in the office, and the parents pay more attention to the child than to me.

I think I am implementing the "extra time" for the distracting children. Or, when they stop paying attention me, I stop until I have their attention again. "Billable Hours."

When my kids were small, we didn't take them to business sessions of any kind, nor did we take them to late night entertainment till they were teen-agers. Grandparents, Uncles & Aunts were always anxious to spend time with them. Especially for just a few hours. I find no plausable reason to bring them to a tax appointment, nor any child under 12 to a midnight movie, not ANY child under 6 to ANY movie.

Excuse me for being practical and excercising common sense for the care of my young children.

I admit I had the same thought; heck when I was 6 I had to be in bed by 7pm, summer or during school. And a 6 year old at a PG13 movie too.

The baby is just rude to bring to a movie; not that the baby will see or hear anything in the movie, but a crying baby is as bad as a cell phone for other movie-goers. That said, moment of silence for all that died, and prayers for those that were wounded.

The interview I saw with a young woman who was in the second row-what a quick-thinking, level headed, amazing young woman! To be staring at a gun barrel pointed at your head and react the way she did. That's someone I'd like next to me in a crisis.

• Like 2

The gun control people are going to be claiming that guns caused the carnage. If someone else in the theater had had a gun, maybe the results would not have been quite as bad. I believe a more likely cause of what happened was the violence we see daily in the movies, on TV, and in the video games.

Just my opinion.

• Like 3

One thing I don't get....now I know a lot of people go to premiers in costumes, but it appears now that he bought a ticket and walked into the theatre, and then propped open the door. Did he go out the back door and get his gear, or stroll in looking like a SWAT team member armed to the teeth?