ATX Community

2012 ATX now Available?

taxtrio

Got it to load and install this morning. Also did download of payroll forms. Payroll program looks like last year's program... ATX Max looks updated. I rolled over my own return. Took 5 minutes to open my return..!! And it's not that big of a return. Takes a long time after it asks "rollover forms when available"... Hopefully that will change as forms are available. Overall it seems slow, moving from screen to screen.

I looked at the 8867, there is an additional tab at the bottom of the screen called "due dilligence".

It is a place to record additional information for due dilligence. Probably for the extra questions we have asked the client and documenting their answers.!

Taxtrio

I am attending the Seminar in Kennesaw on Dec. 8, where one of the major topics will be the new changes in ATX for 2012.

I can tell you this, if you are having issue with speed of the program, you need to have at least an i3 processor, min 4GB RAM. This has solved many of our problems with speed in the past.

Please send to me any things you see with the new Program, and I will ask when I am there.

Computer hardware is cheap, so there is no excuse for trying to use a Model A computer to do Indy Race Car processing.

Word of warning from a total geek here... DO NOT BUY WIN 8 unless you are using it on a touch SCREEN device. (You'll be sorry, despite what a salesman may tell you.) I have hands on tested WIN 8, and it is my researched and observed opinion that WIN 8 is a "SKIP" OS. (Think Vista...)

That is also the advice that I have gotten. In any case, I am just now really switching from XP to Win7. I love my Android tablet, but I am not ready to use that format with my business computer.

Stick with Win7. Microsoft will see the folly of their ways with Win8, They will lose more market share to Apple. Then Microsoft will (possilbly) bring out something better than Win 7. Win8 is "The Mummy Returns" of Vista!!
  • Like 1

Jack,

I agree on Win8 and Touchscreen. Don't know why you would update an existing W7 machine to W8. Don't know why you would want Win8 without touchscreen. Have you seen any problems with Win8 running our normal business programs? Crashes? or problems like that. Not the usual, it's too different, too much new to learn, don't need touch, fingerprints on screen. Most of the criticism I'm hearing is stuff like that. Any real processing type problems?

Jack,

I agree on Win8 and Touchscreen. Don't know why you would update an existing W7 machine to W8. Don't know why you would want Win8 without touchscreen. Have you seen any problems with Win8 running our normal business programs? Crashes? or problems like that. Not the usual, it's too different, too much new to learn, don't need touch, fingerprints on screen. Most of the criticism I'm hearing is stuff like that. Any real processing type problems?

Think "Vista" only with the twist that if you have a computer with WIN8 that is not touchscreen, you will need to learn all about how WIN8 is not mouse friendly.

As a long time computer nerd, WIN8 is my "skip" OS from Microsoft. Microsoft is in such a "catch up" race with Apple that they are being more sloppy than ever about releasing incomplete and poorly engineered OS.

Did you notice that the 2012 program has stripped the Payroll related section into a separate download with a separate desktop icon? Can't wait til next year when they want to charge extra for that.

Lynn

I am expecting Payroll to cost extra next year. This is just my gut feeling. Here is the e-mail I just received.....

A Change to Delivery of ATX Payroll Compliance Forms

Dear Valued Customer,

We have begun shipping the ATX tax program! We are excited about the enhancements and new features in ATX for tax year 2012.

This message is to let you know about a change to the delivery and use of ATX payroll compliance forms, including W-2s, 1099s and 94x series. In previous years, these forms were included with the ATX tax program, along with 1040s and other forms.

This year we are delivering the payroll compliance forms as a separate program that looks and works just like ATX for tax year 2011. This program is called Payroll Compliance Reporting.

We are delivering payroll forms separately so that in future years we can release them on a schedule that best fits payroll compliance filing deadlines. In the long term, we believe this will better serve you and your clients.

Receiving your payroll forms

To receive your payroll forms, simply download the Payroll Compliance Reporting program from the MyATX Solution Center, save the downloaded file to your desktop, and then install the program by double-clicking the downloaded file*.

The program includes all the payroll compliance forms that are included in the MAX, Total Tax Office and Total Tax & Accounting Office packages and it works just like your ATX tax program for tax year 2011.

You'll find more information in the PDF files below:

Frequently Asked Questions About ATX Payroll Compliance Forms

Step-by-Step Instructions for Downloading Payroll Compliance Reporting

If you have additional questions, please e-mail Customer Care at [email protected] or call us at 800-638-8291.

Sincerely,

Michael Smith

Product Manager

that is the first thing I thought when I saw the email about the payroll forms. extra cost next year. I use quickbooks for my monthly clients but ATX for 1099's and odd w-2's for tax clients. Now if I have to start paying extra for that convience......... I don't know may be time to start looking elsewhere

• Like 1