ATX Community

How long are you giving TRX to fix or jump ship?

beckster

I have a small client base of about 80. I enjoy and have been preparing tax returns for 17 years. For many years I used ATX software and it worked wonderfully for me. Starting for tax year 2010, I felt ATX priced out of my range and I changed over to TRX software. It fit my needs for 2010 and 2011 tax years.

This year???? Well, I expect software to handle basic functions and I have no problem with downloading updates to fix issues. Am I concerned with software problems? Yes. I would like to hear from others how long they are giving TRX to fix basic software issues before going to other companies.

I do not want this to be a forum for TRX gurus to berate or give excuses for lack and/or snail pace communications/updates on their part. As far as I'm concerned, action speaks louder than words and time always tells what the truth is.

Thanks,

Beckster

Question is, who to jump ship to?

ATX and TaxWorks both did major revamps of their software offseason, and both are incredibly buggy at this stage. Hard to know how that will play out in the next few weeks.

Drake is too expensive at $1495; not a reasonable alternative to TRX price-wise. They refuse to offer their early-season price this time of year, even to new customers.

That leave ProSeries (also expensive!), TaxWise, TaxAct, and... ? I find ProSeries extremely annoying in that they don't support some common forms (eg NOL computation) in their basic package, and you're forced to upgrade to the Professional Package, which is too expensive! (And business returns are extra!) So, for me, it's TaxWise or TaxAct. TaxWise has a 3-years@$995/yr offer for new customers that's looking very attractive at this point. But I need to give TaxAct a good look.

I was about to start a thread like this.

My drop dead date has to be Feb 1st since thats usually when the ball starts rolling. Im hoping for the best but have to be prepared if the updates dont pan out. Ill probably go with ATX 1040 or ATX Pay per return both >$500 addl cost. I cant afford to lose my client base that Ive worked so hard to build over the last 17 years. Ive held off the refund request (promised TaxWorks) from TRX because of Dougs posts about the product and updates coming.

Come on Doug .... We're giving you a shot to prove your product. It needs to be acceptably functional this month for me.

Unfortunately if TRX doesnt pan out that doesnt bode well for an ongoing relationship. Id like to keep that relationship going if its beneficial to both parties.

If you guys are unhappy with TRX because it is buggy or lacks functionality the time to switch would be now before you get busy with tax filings in Feb unless IRS delays the start of filing. Whenever I switched software the issue has always been conversion of existing clients and carryforward data that you have to check very carefully because each software treats it in a different way. If you have part time staff as i do, figure in their training time as well. You can not expect them to start cranking out returns without adequate training. I am hoping most of these software companies who decided to change their software have enough staff to do quality testing before they release it to tax preparers and do it real fast. Feb is just around the corner.

I got a post card from Taxwise and they are still offering $995 for 3 years or if you buy from a reseller I think it is $699 for 1 year.

I know people complain that Drake is expensive, but the fellows that use Drake are generally more satisfied with the quality of their software and its client service. Go to their website, it is by far superior than the competition. My friend has used Drake for 10 years and even though he complains about the price each year, he is reluctant to switch for the very reason we are discussing. This guy has a full time staff and does around 600 returns per season.

I'd agree that Drake is affordable at $1095 per year, but they're charging $1495 if you switch now, and they won't budge on that.

Who is the TaxWise reseller that you mentioned? $699 sounds like a good deal, if it's their "Power" package. (I've seen $795, but I can't find $699 - though maybe it's a matter of calling and asking.)

Seriously, ATX is an unusable mess right now, though I do have some faith they'll get it cleaned up by the end of January...

Perhaps folks should give Drake a try after the tax season. Couple of years back i did attend one of their free seminars, at that time my clientele was very small and I was happy with TaxAct.

The reseller of Taxwise that i was told by a third party is a fellow by the name of Don Ham out of Indianapolis, IN. I think the # there is 800-516-9442. It could be the Surefire guy that was at the IRS conference last year.

Another option with Drake is their pay-per-return option. I used Drake as pay-per-return the year my vendor for entity (corporations, partnerships) closed its doors. That was very affordable for me and helped me survive the transition from that software vendor until I found something that suited my needs.

Lynn

Guys, I understand you are worried but there is no need to. Tax season does not even start until Jan. 22nd. All the issues you have mentioned are either being corrected or have been and we just have not released another update. Everything is not been in the previous updates only parts as we complete them but we had so much flack from you guys we have decided to wait and update when we have the majority done. Many of the other software companies are sending out software that does not even have forms, but we chose to send ours out with forms in it even though they were 2011 but we will update those in the next few days. If you want to jump ship I cannot stop you but you will be sad you did when you realize we have done everything you asked and now you are paying 3 times the price. I have been doing taxes 25+ years so I know with everyone's software changing this year you are nervous but me making sure I get you what you need to do your business, insures I stay in business so believe me I will get everything done. Doug Hughes

For the size of my practice, the TRX pricing fits my budget & I recognize the limitations of that. I have only done some minor playing around in the 2012 software because I am waiting for the majority of the major bugs (listed by others) to be ironed out. Then I'll do more major testing. I am very hopeful that everything will run smoothly in the next week or so. However, if the software is not usable at that time, I may have to "jump ship." I truly dread the idea of having to find a new software at the last minute right before clients start coming in in late January. I really hope that won't be the case!

Will the Forms 3520 and 3520A be available in Tax Exact? I only do one each per year, but it would be helpful if they were part of the software.

Does it make sense if TRX posted on its website a log of the improvements/fixes/under construction so that users are not "praying" and "hoping" it is there. I can sense frustration because of poor communication from TRX.

Question is, who to jump ship to?

ATX and TaxWorks both did major revamps of their software offseason, and both are incredibly buggy at this stage. Hard to know how that will play out in the next few weeks.

Drake is too expensive at $1495; not a reasonable alternative to TRX price-wise. They refuse to offer their early-season price this time of year, even to new customers.

That leave ProSeries (also expensive!), TaxWise, TaxAct, and... ? I find ProSeries extremely annoying in that they don't support some common forms (eg NOL computation) in their basic package, and you're forced to upgrade to the Professional Package, which is too expensive! (And business returns are extra!) So, for me, it's TaxWise or TaxAct. TaxWise has a 3-years@$995/yr offer for new customers that's looking very attractive at this point. But I need to give TaxAct a good look.

I signed up with taxWise a few years ago, and had big problems with them. I had to ask for my money back.

Then a couple of years ago TRX was supplying TaxWise and I used it. I had a few problems with it but worked through it. The problem with TaxWise is they never add new features to help the preparer. I dont know what has happened since CCH purchased them.

More options ...

... The reseller of Taxwise that i was told by a third party is a fellow by the name of Don Ham out of Indianapolis, IN. I think the # there is 800-516-9442. It could be the Surefire guy that was at the IRS conference last year. ...

Yes, Don Ham is the president of Surefire

TaxWise now also has an on-line product, 1040 only, available thru him at $200 plus $5.00 per return.

Drake is introducing an on-line product, but the break-even point with their full desktop product seems to be in the 70 return area.

While the rest of you are concerned about updating and waiting to see if the product performs, I would just like to get mine installed properly. I received wrong CID and PID numbers and if the documents surrounding them are correct, I have someone else's EFIN as my CID. Apparently, the numbers are needed to get the program to even update. Called support three times today,left messages and still no help. A request for a refund may be in the very near future for me. Then again, from other posts, a refund request might not be a good idea either as some who have requested it appear to not have received it either.

Very interesting! I thought that would be a simple enough fix for TRX to straighten out if by mistake they sent you someone else's CD. I am sure that other guy is also complaining, unless he/she is still hung over!

While the rest of you are concerned about updating and waiting to see if the product performs, I would just like to get mine installed properly. I received wrong CID and PID numbers and if the documents surrounding them are correct, I have someone else's EFIN as my CID. Apparently, the numbers are needed to get the program to even update. Called support three times today,left messages and still no help. A request for a refund may be in the very near future for me. Then again, from other posts, a refund request might not be a good idea either as some who have requested it appear to not have received it either.

Terry send me an email at [email protected] and I will get your problem solved. In the email give me your credentials so I can look it up for you. Doug

I, too, have tried to figure out where to jump ship to. I was with ProSeries, but having a client base of 35 (this is part-time for me), I need a software package a little more affordable and ProSeries raised their rate $100 a year and said all software companies did that. TRX seemed affordable and the software seemed okay up until this year when none of the data would transfer in the proforma and state software is unavailable. I have been told by technical support that the proforma function is only 90% accurate. This is an unacceptable answer as I have worked at a few CPA firms using software such as Lacerte and ProSeries and when a client was unable to be pulled forward, we would have the software company address the issue and if need be, re-enter lost data. However, TRX employees informed me that I WOULD HAVE TO SPEND ALL MY TIME AND HOURS re-entering the data myself on clients that would not roll forward. This is unacceptable. When I explained that to their technical support AND sales manager, they acted like they didn't care (probably because I have a small client base)!!!! Then I was told to wait for the update and since I had paid the down payment to secure the lower price and have not paid the balance, I decided to wait to see if the update worked before paying the balance. I also have not paid because they never sent the invoice that I had to ask for several times. So I asked if the update didn't work if I could get a refund of the down payment I sent last year since the software doesn't appear to work this year. They told me no! So any of you trying to get refunds, good luck. They have no such thing as money back guarantees!!!! I am hoping (like the rest of you) that this gets resolved with updates by February 1, but I am not holding by breath. And based on the "lackadaisical attitude" of each and every employee I've spoken to in the 5-6 times I have called, I am guessing they aren't holding their breath either.....

• Like 1

Hi ReneeinVN,

I wish I could tell you something other than what you've stated however, we are all just waiting for Doug and TRX to make good on the promised updates and improved functionality. It appears that other software providers (ATX & TaxWorks) are also lacking this year due to revisions. We'll just have to wait and see. At least you only paid a downpayment. I assume most here have paid the total invoice price as I have.

I, too, have tried to figure out where to jump ship to. I was with ProSeries, but having a client base of 35 (this is part-time for me), I need a software package a little more affordable and ProSeries raised their rate $100 a year and said all software companies did that. TRX seemed affordable and the software seemed okay up until this year when none of the data would transfer in the proforma and state software is unavailable. I have been told by technical support that the proforma function is only 90% accurate. This is an unacceptable answer as I have worked at a few CPA firms using software such as Lacerte and ProSeries and when a client was unable to be pulled forward, we would have the software company address the issue and if need be, re-enter lost data. However, TRX employees informed me that I WOULD HAVE TO SPEND ALL MY TIME AND HOURS re-entering the data myself on clients that would not roll forward. This is unacceptable. When I explained that to their technical support AND sales manager, they acted like they didn't care (probably because I have a small client base)!!!! Then I was told to wait for the update and since I had paid the down payment to secure the lower price and have not paid the balance, I decided to wait to see if the update worked before paying the balance. I also have not paid because they never sent the invoice that I had to ask for several times. So I asked if the update didn't work if I could get a refund of the down payment I sent last year since the software doesn't appear to work this year. They told me no! So any of you trying to get refunds, good luck. They have no such thing as money back guarantees!!!! I am hoping (like the rest of you) that this gets resolved with updates by February 1, but I am not holding by breath. And based on the "lackadaisical attitude" of each and every employee I've spoken to in the 5-6 times I have called, I am guessing they aren't holding their breath either.....

Renee you will not be getting the updates this week without paying in full for your software. Doug

Just got an e-mail link from TaxAct Software to try their 2012 version. They say the 2012 Forms are in place.

Will we see the 2012 forms in this weeks update??

Our plan is to have in Fridays release the 2012 forms, however not TaxAct or any other software company can have complete 2012 forms until the IRS release the calcs for it. We can say it is 2012 but the truth is if you believe TaxAct you better get ready to do a lot of 1040X'es. Taxed, I know you know this I have talked you enough to know you get it. The 4562 is not even going to be accepted by the IRS until Late February or Mid March and this is just one of the forms there is a whole list. I have a list of affected forms if you want me to email it to you or you can get it off our website, I wonder if we will ever get through this tax season. What do you think will be the last day to file this year? Doug

Our plan is to have in Fridays release the 2012 forms, however not TaxAct or any other software company can have complete 2012 forms until the IRS release the calcs for it. We can say it is 2012 but the truth is if you believe TaxAct you better get ready to do a lot of 1040X'es. Taxed, I know you know this I have talked you enough to know you get it. The 4562 is not even going to be accepted by the IRS until Late February or Mid March and this is just on of the forms there is a whole list. I have a list of affected forms if you want me to email it to you or you can get it off our website, I wonder if we will ever get through this tax season. What do you think will be the last day to file this year? Doug

I get it that the complete 2012 forms are not in any software's package yet. As a matter of fact i tried the Taxact and it does have your basic forms (1040, A, B, C, SE) in the 2012 version. The depreciation form is still blocked.

I am pleased to hear that your Friday release will have some 2012 forms. I am eager to finally print a return. Never had to wait this late to see a live return!

If we can avoild the ATX problem of shell loader blowing up that is half the battle!

I think all of us in the business should sigh a petition to Treasury Secretary and if the need be to President Obama, to push back the deadline of April 16th by a month if we can't file complex returns until late March? I hate to work 20 hour weeks and get a step closer to getting a divorce!

The plan is to have the 1040 Individual 2012 forms tomorrow or Friday and then the Corps. (1120 etc.) by Tuesday. The IRS may say they are ready but if you saw the list of forms they are telling us we cannot e-file yet you would understand that they are really not ready.

I may not have the corps complete by Tuesday but it will be functional and I will update within the next few days after the release. We are still waiting on several of the staes to finalize their form and calcs but I may goahead and start releasing the States and do the same by updating them as the State releases everything for us.

I think each of you should look at our 1040X, I think I have it were it is a winner on ease of use but that is my oppinion and I feel this is going to be a very highly used form this year with the IRS delays as God only knows what they are going to delay next. Have you guys thought about what you are going to do if a client wants to go ahead and file without certain things and amend later, what are you going to tell the client? I think you should also get familar with our appointment scheduler so you can schedule clients to return for the 1040X. Get Cell numbers this year so you can send text out to clients reminding them to come back in.

Doug

The plan is to have the 1040 Individual 2012 forms tomorrow or Friday and then the Corps. (1120 etc.) by Tuesday. The IRS may say they are ready but if you saw the list of forms they are telling us we cannot e-file yet you would understand that they are really not ready.

I may not have the corps complete by Tuesday but it will be functional and I will update within the next few days after the release. We are still waiting on several of the staes to finalize their form and calcs but I may goahead and start releasing the States and do the same by updating them as the State releases everything for us.

I think each of you should look at our 1040X, I think I have it were it is a winner on ease of use but that is my oppinion and I feel this is going to be a very highly used form this year with the IRS delays as God only knows what they are going to delay next. Have you guys thought about what you are going to do if a client wants to go ahead and file without certain things and amend later, what are you going to tell the client? I think you should also get familar with our appointment scheduler so you can schedule clients to return for the 1040X. Get Cell numbers this year so you can send text out to clients reminding them to come back in.

Doug

I agree, 1040X may become our best friend this tax season! I already told my staff that if a client demands that we file their tax return before we know that it will be good to go because FAFSA and some colleges are forcing parents to submit a 2012 tax return for financial aid, we are going to get them to sign a disclosure and pay us $50 to amend it when IRS rejects it or they get a CP2000. That should cover my part time overhead. I am not trying to make a killing of these people, I understand their circumstances but i can't tie up my staff doing avoidable 1040X.

I am really looking forward to text to the cell phone. I have not done that so far in my practice (my reminders are by voice mail or e-mail). I personally prefer a call or voice mail because I am so clumsy texting on a cell phone. I like my 102 keyboard!