ATX Community

Square Trade Credit Card Reader

ed_accountant

I got this several months ago but didn't realize I needed a smart phone. At that time I had only a dumb phone but went to the dark side over Christmas with a great deal. And my minutes plan is grandmothered in so I could go back to 1000 minutes without data if I choose to do so.

Anyway, your message reminded me and I found it! No idea how to use it and don't know where the instructions are but can probably get that online. For some reason I decided it might be useful although no client has ever asked me about paying any other way than check.

It will be good to see if others use it.

I've debated about passing on the fee. It does cost me a bit extra to accept cards, but it also means I can get paid faster.

It seems like I heard that there were rules against adding credit card fees, but I know some businesses (i.e. gas stations) that charge more for credit cards.

I have heard of significant problems with Square. Apparently it's OK for those with need for only the occasional credit card transaction, but here is the bottom-line deal-killer for me: Square has NO customer service telephone and a long history of NOT returning emails.

If _they_ think something is odd, and with NO warning to you, they will hold your money until they deem fit to release it -- and you have NO way to stop them, or to contact them with guaranteed response, or to get your funds released. There are tales of monies being held for months.

So beware -- if you have the occasional client trying to pay by card it should be fine. If folks are willing to go on-line, _you_ can have a PayPal account linked from your site where people can pay you even if they do not have a PayPal account. If lots of clients pay by card (or you want them to), Square might not be the best choice for you.

Catherine

Thanks, Catherine, for again sharing your knowledge. I have had a Paypal account for several years but hardly ever use it. I just thought the Square thing was cute even though I couldn't use it. Now I can't use it either because it won't scan my card. Hmm, back to my nonused Paypal account and, of course, those checks that clients have been using for year. In fact, I have never even received cash. And no check has ever bounced. Of course, there were those #$$%^&& clients that refused to pay me. Good riddance though to bad clients.

Thanks for the "head's up." I've had a handful of clients ask about credit cards over the last few years, primarily when they realize they didn't bring their checkbook with them. I've always just asked them to mail a check after they get home. (I'm pretty understanding on this one since I never carry my checkbook with me, either.) I considered getting a PayPal account and Square seemed easier.

I considered putting a note in my New Year's cards letting my clients know that I now take credit cards. I decided against it and just have it as a backup for those who forget to bring their checkbooks.

We'll see if I end up having any regrets.

My "kids" who opened a bakery are using PayAnywhere on their iPad.

I got the Intuit version of the thingy that attaches to my iPhone (or iPad or any "smart" thing) for free. The jack that fits into the microphone hole fits only if my phone is not in its case (Margaret: might be your issue). No monthly fee as a ProAdvisor.

I have a PayPal link on the home page of my web site.

But, the method I use most often is to just type the info into QB. It's a bit more expensive not to swipe the card, but it happens when a client gives me their info over the telephone so I can mail their folder or someone else can pick up for them. Again, no monthly fee as a ProAdvisor. Even if a client is sitting here with their card in hand, it's faster to enter it in QB than to retrieve my iPhone from my purse in my bedroom and take off the case so I can swipe.

Most clients still write me checks, but I want to make it as easy as possible for clients to pay me by whatever method they prefer.

Thanks, Lion, for more details. The Square thingy fit comfortably into my phone and connected. I just kept getting the message that I had to swipe it quickly. Guess I may not be quick enough anyway! I may yet try to type in the info, an option that you noted was a tad bit more costly. It is 3.25% or so and 15 cents. I guess the investment to see if the thing works is worth it. Let's see, $3 transaction so 10 cents fee plus 15 cents - I think I can afford 25 cents. I'll try it later. Yes, options are good these days.

Okay, I found a plastic credit card and turned the volume all the way up. I keep getting the message that I have to swipe faster but I can't do it any faster. I have tried turning the stripe up and down, swiping left to right and right to left. Nothing works. So I typed it in and got to the signature screen. I have tried to sign with a plastic tipped letter opener as I don't have a stylus but it won't take it. I do have a screen protector on so hope that isn't a problem. Any ideas now? I finally just went to the main screen again. I will check to see what happens on the credit card and bank account.

Thanks for helping this dummie with a phone smarter than I am!

With most of the smart phones you need your finger or a special stylus (capasative?). I tried pencil erasers and Nintendo styli, but no go. I finally just got a 5 pack at Amazon or Buy.com for around a dollar. (Or, you can pay $15-20.)

No expert on the volume thing, but I guess it's related to going into the earphone jack?

Yeah!! Congrats! I'm sure I'll need to practice again before I have to use it in front of a client (and have them laugh at me for not getting it to go through).

It's been a few months but I think they do just total every transaction for the day and process the next day. But even when I tested my own card there was no actual monetary value. I used some kind of test mode. Why pay a fee for testing?