ATX Community

2012 Program is Very Slow

Chowdahead

Same here. Through reboots, service isolation and clean pc installs, the 2012 release has my people complaining about speed. Whether its an older Core2 or even the new i3 systems we have (of course the new ones open faster, however I still see load times of several minutes)

My environment is networked, and I already know the server itself (main install location) is in need of a refresh. I'm hoping that with some better equipment on the back end it'll pick up.

Edit: ran a test install on an Intel i5 w/ 12G of ram and with an new workstation running a networked copy, had a 16 second load time on the program itself (Intel Core i3) and 110 seconds to load a return after roll-over.

Anyone having print related slowdowns too?My users are reporting about 45 minutes to print a 15 page job to their local lasers.

Edited by Maxwell

You ppl need to install or have Pro IT person to install SSD on your computer or server. The Atx 2012 is badly written program. Since it seems like it write/red every keystroke/field not when you click save or auto save on each form. Therefore is really random read/write really intensive. If you compare to latest SSD with random read/write ~40MB/s to HD random read/write ~0.5MB/S is no wonder why ppl have SSD have less of performance issue. Not comment on no testing or poor performance 12.6 yet.

Currently on 12.5

needmoreupdate, Something wrong with saving with each bit of data entered? I think not. What if there is a power outage? A network glitch? Imagine filling out a long form, the software does not save each field, and you have to give your computer a three fingered salute, the power goes out, or whatever.

A SSD for active data is not the best use (at present). SSD's are currently best used for static things, like your OS and program files. At some point in the future, after years of real world use, then maybe a SSD for heavy changeable data.

Needmoreupdate,

2012 program is totally different than any previous ATX software. Where have you been hiding? A two year old article has nothing to do with todays 2012 program. We have 2 SSD computers and they are the shining stars in the network. 10 workstations and a server. WIN7 is second best thing. 64bit PRO only. 8GB RAM or more.

Anyone trying to use anything more than 18-24 months old or with less specs than this will be fighting a losing battle.

Terminal Resident Programs:

Uninstall EVERYTHING that is not productivity oriented. I look at computers all the time that have "junk" running that has nothing to do with the main purpose of the computer. Toolbars, weather watching programs, software update monitoring, internet security suites etc are just a few examples.

Hardware is not expensive anymore. ATX 2012 with all its glitches and flaws is current state of the art programming. If you are trying to use outdated equipment or OS, then you are fighting a losing battle. If you don't understand the technical part, put someone on staff that does, or hire a company to do it for you.

Those who keep up will drive the bus, everyone else will be in the back seat.

Enterprise Hard drives. SCSI is the best, but almost non-existant any more. We use 2TB, 7200rpm, 512MB cache drives. Three of them in a Raid5 configuration. The Raid5 eliminates the need for one set of backups. We make a daily backup on an external HD and take it offsite every night. Raid5 makes data redundant across three drives. If one fails, system keeps working and the data is still intact.

This is for the server. Also 16GB or more of RAM.

Enterprise Hard drives. SCSI is the best, but almost non-existant any more. We use 2TB, 7200rpm, 512MB cache drives. Three of them in a Raid5 configuration. The Raid5 eliminates the need for one set of backups. We make a daily backup on an external HD and take it offsite every night. Raid5 makes data redundant across three drives. If one fails, system keeps working and the data is still intact.

This is for the server. Also 16GB or more of RAM.

System on our server is similar, but for backup we went with removable hard drives. I love the ease of back up and portability with them! I rotate between 5 of them, so we never have more than 1 days data lost.