ATX Community

2012 Program is Very Slow

Chowdahead

This is an upgrade over last year? I am counting myself foryunate that I am even able to open the program on my server and workstation, but this year's program is taking about 10-20 times the amount of time to rollover or simply open a return.

Rollover is slow. But opening a return, even after opening it multiple times, is way too slow. I timed how long a simple 1040 return took to open and it was around 1 minute and 12 seconds. And when it's about to open it the entire program (as in I can see my desktop or other program running behind it) oddly disappears for about 5 seconds and then the return displays on the screen within the program.

Plus everything just seems sluggish. The list of returns to rollovers sometimes take a few seconds to appear. And all of this is on the server. The workstation is 10-20% slower.

When I open up ATX 2011 I'm almost shocked at the speed compared to this year. Returns in 2011 open almost instantly.

I have a Dell Vostro 260 3.3Ghz with 3 GB of RAM so although it might not be the fastest PC out there it's plenty enough to run all my other apps very quickly. ATXX 2012 stills seems like it's in testing phase.

• Like 1

The program is VERY slow this year....Believe it or not, the speed has improved over the past few weeks. They are promising speed increases with future updates....time will tell. At first, I though it was my older PC...only had 2 Gb RAM. I upgraded to 4GB and my PC is noticeably faster....but ATX 2012 is still just as slow

We are having similar issues. This years program has has so many problems. When we first recieved and installed, the program would not open due to a fatal database error in the program. Has anyone else had this problem? Its since been fixed, but it seems there isnt one clear problem with this year. It seems like an array. We were not able to rollover untill about a week ago.

I roll over my own return as soon as I get the software. It's a huge return, and it gives me an idea of what forms are available (nearly none this year, but that was expected) and a chance to play around in the software. I've only rolled one other return since even my 'early birds' got my letter saying filing was delayed.

I've had no problems rolling over returns. Or having the software crash. (cross my fingers, knock on wood) but then again, I'm not running on a network. I did get to preview the software at the CCH Small Firms conference in October, so I know this isn't last minute software changes, or a beta version except what is due to Congress.

I rolled over my return, (it took several trys) when it finally worked it took at least a minut to open and to input in a simple 1099R, it took 2 to 3 seconds to move from one input box to the next. Wow. This could take all day to just do on large return.

Not working for me.....

I may also be looking for another program. And I love the old ATX.

Linda

What I cannot figure out....Each day, the first time I open ATX 2012 takes FOREVER.....but if I close and re-open later, it opens MUCH faster (still a lot slower than ATX 2011, but much faster than the first opening of the day).

"wut up wit dat, homey?"

That was from Lenny the Pirate....He's working on channeling his inner "thug" in preparation of some of my rather scary clients that arrive this time of year.

What's up with that is that when you first open, it opens everything, then when you close the program, it does not actually close EVERYTHING so when you open it again, some files are still running in the background so don't have to be reopened. This is true for almost every program. That's why, if a computer seems to be getting slower and slower, and you have opened and closed a lot of windows, rebooting will speed it up, because it shuts down all those "close and stay resident" files".

• Like 1

I was thinking that too, KC.....but I do not shut my PC off at night.....so why is it slow only once a day? I open ATX 2012 every evening around 5:30pm.....then close and re-open it several times throughout the evening.....Slow at 5:30, but faster every subsequent opening.....until 5:30 the next day...then slow.

Maybe some files/processes remain open for a while after the program is closed....making subsequent opening faster as you suggest.....then maybe some or all of them close after a certain period of inactivity.....making the initial opening slow again the next day.

I'm going with this explanation...mainly because I just really don't care that much.....I just want a functioning program

JB, do you have your program set to update automatically when it starts up? Perhaps it is because there are more files to be updated at the 5:30pm startup after the program has been idle for those 24 hrs and the on the recheck an hour later there aren't any updates or less of them.

I finally set my update preference to manual because I was having major problems with my internet connection being knocked offline due to needing new outdoor cable installed, and the cable company having some now-resolved interference in their lines. I don't know about this year's program, I'm assuming it is the same as the 2011 program that needed internet connectivity at startup if the update was set to automatic, otherwise the program wouldn't start.

KC, Your statement "This is true for almost every program" is not true. I would not even say it is a majority of programs, and could easily be a small minority. The major cause of leaks is more likely to be Windows itself.

Properly coded programs close every file they directly open. If the program is using any shared resources (implicit loading), like a system DLL, Windows manages the shared resource, unloading it when the "count" of uses of the shared file is zero. Some programs do have resource "leaks", but they usually will not cause a major issue unless you start, stop, and restart the offending program a very large number of times without running much else.

There are programs (MS office and open office come to mind) which have a preloader. Such a preloader opens when the computer starts, and preloads certain files, usually dll files. The reason is to make it "appear" the application loads faster, when the reality is it shifted some of the load time to computer startup. Sometimes software does not have a preloader, but after first open, does not clear all resources, on purpose, usually via an option in the program's setup.

One tip, counter intuative, is to turn off disk caching. Developers are well aware file writing is the slowest part of a computer, and optimize when and how to write files. Using caching means Windows controls the file write timing (which opens a real can of worms safety wise). Caching was a valid tool back in DOS 5 (when it was introduced) and we were dealing with 640k of memory and data on floppies, but is not needed, and can be dangerous, on a modern computer.

Anther tip, check the task scheduler to see what things are automatically happening and when. You may have something set to run right in the middle of your heavy use times.

I'll confess that that tip came from the DOS days. But I've still found that when I notice after a lot of opening and closing things that it is going slower, rebooting always speeds things back up.

I like the idea of checking task scheduler. Certainly can not hurt, and might be a part of a problem.

I have been checking task scheduler on a regular basis ever since installing the 2012 program. Amazing to see how resources are being used. Last night I had my ram updated from 4G to 16G so am anxious to see what difference, if any, that is going to make.

I agree with the rebooting issue. I have been taught to reboot after any and every change to the system such as installation of a new program and/or updates. Keep your business machines CLEAN!

I started input on a semi-complicated return last night (that of my computer guy). So far, so good, unless I open it today and everything is gone, which I strongly doubt will be the case.

Another big problem folks seem to over look, is what is connect to the computer e.g. external hard drives. I have two external hard drive, one is solely to for windows 7 hard drive backup and the other is for files I want to manually backup and carbonite mirror image, the drive that is used to for carbonite is always running and slows down the performance of the computer, if I disconnect the that hard drive and restart the computer, it loads very quick and it seems to be faster.

MAS

• Like 1

ATX 2012 is extremely slow compared to other years. It doesn't matter if you reboot - once, twice, three times, check task scheduler, run disk cleanup - it is SLOW. Yes performing all those processes does help, but ATX 2012 software is very disppointing this year, and why should WE be inconvenienced to perform all those processes when the program should be working properly like previous years to begin with?!!! It's not like it's a cheap software to begin with and you would think by now they would have resolved all those issues.

I agree - -I have tried EVERYTHING - -purged spyware, malware, background programs - -I do disc cleanup every day, but the program still is sluggish opening a return. I engaged an IT professional to come over to help speed things up, but alas no avail - -time & $$ wasted.

It appears they fixed the rollover speed, but darn if it still takes 4-5 minutes to open a return that may have had a form update.

So, the GOOD news - - -I am getting a LOT of "busy" work done in the office.

The BAD news - - -I will have to tack on 15-30 minutes minimum for EACH client appointment.

Since I am somewhat retired (went from 640 returns in 2002 to a current 150) I can handle this. I feel very sorry for those of you who really need the time management that you used to have.