ATX Community

Can't open return - "Could not access FAM client folder. Please try again.

Jack from Ohio

We have several returns that we cannot open with the following three screens and messages:

Can't open return - "Could not access FAM client folder. Please try again.

Client 'CID0594883289' has been already deleted

The return is currently locked by the Fixed Asset Manager application. Returns can only be used by one application at a time. Pleast try opening the return later or close Fixed Asset Manager.

We do not use Fixed Asset Manager, and no matter what we try, nothing seems to fix this issue.

I haven't found any reference in the knowledge board and I refuse to log into the Corporate discussion board.

Any help from anyone wold be greatly appreciated.

Jack:

The following was posted "over there" by

"

We have followed this llink and are able to open the program. We also ran a forms update and downloaded the new forms.

http://cchsfs-atx.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14069/kw/ATX2012%5CAssets

Next observation. The Win7 workstations only rollover a file if we first log onto the server and run Sfs.Max.RolloverService.exe. Running it at the workstation level doesn't accomplish anything. We have an open work number on this well past the 48 hours and are awaiting the response. If we ever get a response, I’ll post it as a work around.

"

Not sure if this is your problem or not, but the only other thread found in a search of "Could not access FAM" resulted in an ATX employee responding: "We're working on it."

Hope things (considering) are well up your way,

Jim

Does anyone have any ideas about my problem? Since 12.8 we have dozens like this. So far, the only thing I have found that works is to delete the return and start over.

Many of these, however, we no longer have all the source information and recreating them will be a huge job, not to mention clients not understanding.

Jack from Ohio, I wish I could be of as much help to you as you have been to me but I have KNOCK LOTS OF WOOD had no problems.

I will suggest that, going forward, you seriously consider scanning source documents before returning to clients. A few years ago I decided to head to much less paper and bought a Scansnap with is really fast and scans both side of documents. I save in a client folder on my computer. This year it greatly helped when I had to go back a few years to copies of documents for a property now sold.

If not this year, maybe consider for next year.

I do hope you and all those with these troubles get resolutions soon.

How about making an export of the problem returns and import them to a stand alone computer with the 2012 software on it.

That would avoid any network issues.

Exports can be made from the return manager and don't have to be open.

Just click on them, export, import and maybe they will open.

A pain but anything is better than starting from scratch with them...

How about making an export of the problem returns and import them to a stand alone computer with the 2012 software on it.

I am trying this tonight with 5 of the returns that have the issue. I will keep you posted.

Jack,

I remember seeing a post or two about this problem on the ATX board. but don't remember the resolution. However here is something you can try. You can still restore deleted returns. I just did this. Delete one of these returns. Under Return Manager,

go to the Restore Function, select the return you just deleted, the system has your last 5 backups of each client, pick one of the backups, restore and see if you can open it.

Lee

I am trying this tonight with 5 of the returns that have the issue. I will keep you posted.

Attempt at this process was a complete failure.

Jack,

I remember seeing a post or two about this problem on the ATX board. but don't remember the resolution. However here is something you can try. You can still restore deleted returns. I just did this. Delete one of these returns. Under Return Manager,

go to the Restore Function, select the return you just deleted, the system has your last 5 backups of each client, pick one of the backups, restore and see if you can open it.

Lee

I am attempting this process next. Film at 11:00

Tomorrow AM I get in the queue for technical support... Boss said spend all day on the phone if necessary...

Jack,

I found this reply to the exact same problem you have.

Re: COULD NOT ACCESS "FAM" CLIENT FOLDER

A way to to get into the return for now is to create a folder in your FAMData path, which should be in appdatat (either ProgramData or Documents and SettingsAll UsersApplication Data depending on the OS) CCH Small Firm ServicesATX2012FAMDataData. The folder name should match the value in the Error message. We

The rest of the message just says we they're working on it.

did you try downloading and installing update 12.9 from the ATX support site? ATX programs on all servers and workstations have tombe closed; there are detailed instructions re the download at the ATX support site.

Lynn

I did this 10 minutes after the update appeared on the ATX site. The returns we are having problems with were ones that 12.8 screwed up. All returns rolled over or created after 12.9 are fine.

Jack,

Lee

I tried this process and no success.

Jack, did you do a control? Export and import a client that you knew worked or just the bad ones?

Maybe they really are corrupt.

I like cbslee's idea on restoring one of the previous backups.

Some returns I go into and out of many times where others just once which wouldn't help.

Tried this. The returns that are able to be opened can be exported and imported with no issues.

Jack,

I found this reply to the exact same problem you have.

Re: COULD NOT ACCESS "FAM" CLIENT FOLDER

A way to to get into the return for now is to create a folder in your FAMData path, which should be in appdatat (either ProgramData or Documents and SettingsAll UsersApplication Data depending on the OS) CCH Small Firm ServicesATX2012FAMDataData. The folder name should match the value in the Error message. We

The rest of the message just says we they're working on it.

I tried this process as well. I had even copied said folders from before and replaced the current ones with the saved one. All failures.

How's your search for new software coming along?

I am intrigued wiht Prosystems fx. They allow conversion in my office and on the fly. That way we can transition to new software instead of just changing. Will keep you posted.

Interesting that the President of CCH just resigned. I wonder how much younger than me he is?

I did find this post:

Re: Locked by FAM
Okay so I just got off with support and they could not find an answer. However, I was playing around in program and found a fix that is not very convenient.

I have a server and two workstations. When I open the return on one workstation that is the only workstation I can work the file on. So what I did was open the return on the workstation I originally opened the file on and exported the return to my desktop. *I went to computer that could not open return (..this part may not matter) and imported the return from desktop. ATX created a copy with the imported return. I opened the copy and deleted the original. All my work that was previously done is still in there and I can work in it from both workstations.

*I does matter. You have to import from a separate workstation than the one you created the import from

I did find this post:

Re: Locked by FAM
Okay so I just got off with support and they could not find an answer. However, I was playing around in program and found a fix that is not very convenient.

I have a server and two workstations. When I open the return on one workstation that is the only workstation I can work the file on. So what I did was open the return on the workstation I originally opened the file on and exported the return to my desktop. *I went to computer that could not open return (..this part may not matter) and imported the return from desktop. ATX created a copy with the imported return. I opened the copy and deleted the original. All my work that was previously done is still in there and I can work in it from both workstations.

*I does matter. You have to import from a separate workstation than the one you created the import from

This is not my issue. Returns with the FAM issue cannot be opened on any computer in the network. Currently the only fix I have found is to totally recreate the return as if it had never existed. We have about 25 in this condition.