ATX Community

Moved to New Software

Birddog

i think i read phil drake sold the company to his workers for $1

i think the company is owned by the employees

is their program in DOS; i've used the program; i don't know if dos or windows..how distinguish..it looks old, but works quite well and efficiently

it's almost as if a real accountant wrote the program

i think i read phil drake sold the company to his workers for $1

i think the company is owned by the employees

is their program in DOS; i've used the program; i don't know if dos or windows..how distinguish..it looks old, but works quite well and efficiently

it's almost as if a real accountant wrote the program

I spoke with one of the Drake brothers about their product. Currently the program IS a windows program that has keyboard shortcuts and keystrokes to do most of the common tasks. You can have the Windows based program with the old DOS feel.

Forms-based data entry is way overrated.

It takes about a half-day to get accustomed to data entry screens if the user is committed to making a change.

And data entry screens offer some advantages in several instances, especially with Schedule A - anybody do many of those?

In Drake you can switch from the data entry screen to the live form by pressing Ctrl-V, then back to the data entry screen by pressing Ctrl-E. Now how hard is that to do? To me it closely resembles a bunny-hop. :)

The best way to learn to use Drake is to put one of their tutorials on one screen and a return on the other. Then just let the tutorial take you through the process while you're making money. (I imagine any new software which offers decent on-line tutorials can be learned in this fashion).

As a more general comment, lots of ATX users are going to need to have a more open mind about changing vendors, either by choice or by default. But if you try to work through any new software intuitively, you are automatically going to dislike any feature you have in your present software that isn't exactly the same in the new one. Just gonna have to get past that roadblock...

John is on the money here! We both switched to Drake about the same time and not only were we both up to speed iin a day or less, we are both actually provided answers to the Drake community.

Tech Support is Unparalleled! Although I have heard that Intuit tends to answer the phones in 5+ minutes, Drakes has always answered my calls by the 3rd ring, even with the added strain on support from all the users switching to Drake.

Drake is also cheaper that Proseries, even with the deep discounts Intuit has been offering. And you are only locked into Intuit's discount prices for 5 years, then it is almost $5000, so back to searching for new software if this price is too much. No need to lock in Drake, their regular price $1495.00, $100 discount now and $1095.00 renewals.

PLUS Free Stuff!

Free Client Write-up Software similar although I am not sure if it is comparable yet to Easy Acct (Intuit), which costs $1214.oo plus an additional $179.00 for a network license. That alone is as much as the the cost of Drake.

Drake also provides for Free probably the best Document Manager bundled with a Tax Software provider (I have a standalone DM - FileCenter that I prefer though as it is still more sophisticated). Intuit charges an extra $450.00 for its DM.

Faster conversions with Drake, using software on your own PC you can convert literally in under an hour!

Drake doesn't compete with me. No TurboTax!

I believe Drake provides a FREE Website for its customers. Haven't checked the details of this one, since I have a web provider I will be keeping because of the other products I get from them, but for those that don't have a web presence, this a great way to get one, again for FREE!

Drake has a built-in Appointment Scheduler, which although I don't use, looks pretty interesting. Again FREE!

Personally I have barely been able to scratch the surface on what Drake offers for less than almost all the others.

And if you are a small office and need PPR, $285.00 gets you 15 returns with $19.00 each for additional returns.

Me, I have always been a forms based tax software before. Drake has made me a convert!

I plan on trying Drake after Apr 15. Then I will have given IMHO, ATX, ProSeries (PS) and Drake all a shot for 2012.

Like most I do not like changes and was one reason I was with Tax Byte-Saber-ATX for 20 years. But even if I stay with PS with a 5 year lock on price, who knows where or what will be out. The pain for most of us long-term ATX users is the worksheet vs forms issue. But now after getting use to PS I see it is faster and points out just what needs to be done. Further, you can always jumb to the form at anytime. With all the ones I looked at they were all worksheet and just made me grinich. Change is hard but sometimes change is good.

I tell my clients there is a difference to working harder vs. working smarter.

So since ATX has decieded to not take care of us it has open the door for me to explore. But I have to say PS is becoming a front runner and only cost me a couple hundred more than ATX. And now that I have jumped to a worksheet drivne vs. a from they don't bother me as much as I thought they would.

For you that have abandon ATX to my understanding, you can dispute on your cc. The charge per return fee from what I have been told is not legal or legal under these circumstances. I will be trying this theory out in a few days. I am not an attorney but have talked with a few as well as someone inside ATX and other software people that confirmed the same thing.

I think it is ludicrous for ATX to even think about deducting anything if they even want a shot at repeat business next year.

But then again what do I know. LOL

For you that have abandon ATX to my understanding, you can dispute on your cc. The charge per return fee from what I have been told is not legal or legal under these circumstances. I will be trying this theory out in a few days. I am not an attorney but have talked with a few as well as someone inside ATX and other software people that confirmed the same thing.

I think it is ludicrous for ATX to even think about deducting anything if they even want a shot at repeat business next year.

But then again what do I know. LOL

I renewed in May 2012. My CC company will not do anything for me. Very rarely will a CC company act on a complaint if it has been more than 90 days. I will add my name to the class action suit as soon as it is filed. I may only get $5, but the message will be sent.

My fear is this: Will the software I change to be going thru a similar "upgrade" as ATX is going thru... I would not want to go thru this again! Taxwise is the next to go thru this transition.... will they have the same problems next year? What about Pro Series,

or Drake... are they going to have to "upgrade" to a new platform that will work better with the IRS system???

Questions, Questions!!

Taxtrio, after seeing the mess that ATX is going through, I seriously doubt that Drake, Pro Series or any major competitor is going to do "an ATX" and screw things up. I'm sure ATX's competitors are closely watching the developments and and going to avoid making the same mistakes. The key to upgrades is take it slow and do it in gradual steps. It's clear that ATX tried to rush this through in order to "save money", so that they could lay off computer programmers after tax season and not have to pay their high salaries. Well, as always, whenever CCH tries to "save" money, they just end up losing more money. Also, keep in mind, that Drake, Pro Series and others have better management and better lines of communication within those companies. CCH failed ATX and us because they clearly have bad management, and little lines of communication between different divisions, etc. There are at least four to five CCH executives who have resigned within the past 6 months. Several CCH field sales reps have left the company within the past year. Wolters Kluwer bought CCH to squeeze them for every dollar the company has, and CCH in return bought out ATX and Kleinrock to squeeze them for every dollar that both companies have, and in the end they only squeezed out their customers, destroyed two good brands, and in the end, more heads will roll.

Can you say abandon ship!

• Like 1

I've demoed their free Client Write Up. There's a reason it's free. While Drake's Client Write Up works, I found it to be clunky, slow and inefficient. Ok, if you're doing a limited amount of write up work.

Not sure if you saw my earlier post above. Was wondering what you use and recommend. I once used TAASC's Easy Accounting. Dropped when Intuit took it over.

I haven't done more than look at it at this point. No time to get up to speed on it with the tough season we are all having.

Also, when did you demo it? Is it possible they have improved it?

Just looking for options here and my write-up work is a pretty minor piece of my practice. Mostly I do IRS representation and Tax Court.

I downloaded Drake's Writeup about 4 months ago. However, my practice is heavy on writeup and payroll, so my needs are different. Several years ago, I made the decision to my move my writeup and payroll to the cloud, if I could find a solution that was both efficient and cost effective. One of my top priorities was to use a database that could be shared with my clients. So I've demoed a lot of accounting & payroll software the last two years. I ended up going with Accounting Relief and Payroll Relief

from Accountants World. AR & PR are programs that have people that like it and people that hate it. It's not cost effective

unless you're doing a fair amount of writeup and payroll. I've been using these programs for 15 months now and on balance

on a scale of 1 to 10, I would rate writeup a 7 and payroll a 5. These are programs that a demo won't tell you enough.

You really need to work with them to see whether they fit your needs.

Thanks Lynn and CB. Will take a look at those as well after season.

The initial look at Drake sort of look similar to EasyAcct, with a more difficult setup, but all I had done is take a few minutes to skim it. When TAASC owned EasyAcct I had quite a bit of write-up work and I loved that program. DOS based (yea DOS), quick and very customizable. Payroll tables could be updated by the user since it used the percentage method in minutes, so no payroll subscription either, and had a separate Payroll software for the return generation. But when Intuit took them over I was not happy with how they both changed and handled it and just kept using the DOS version until it got too outdated.

I have used EasyACCT since the TAASC days and have continued to use it after the takeover by Intuit. Personally, I don't see much difference between the windows version from TAASC and the Intuit version. Head down writeup is easy, and so is live payroll. Joel, you might want to give EasyACCT another try after tax season. I haven't had time to try Drake writeup or payroll, but I will be evaluating it after tax season. If it works well enough, then I might drop EasyACCT and save a few bucks.

• 3 weeks later...

atx's spreadsheet for keeping track of e-files is 100x better than Drake's though

Ari:

While I won't disagree that ATX's Return Manager is slightly better that Drakes, it is pretty easy to customize Drakes to be about 98% of ATX's return manager. I know you use Drake and you need to look at how to do this after season. Suggest you post on the Drake forum and ask how others are doing it.

Me this is how I am handling it:

Drake essentially has 2 Return managers and has several fields that can be added (with drop down boxes that we create) both to its Personal Client Manager (PSM) and Client Status Manager (CSM), plus numerous and customizable reports to help here. Everything we need can be shown on ONE SCREEN, not 3. So you can see client status, ef status, payment status all in one place. You can also filter out returns by type and status quickly and easily, albeit by a different method.

I currently use the PSM for active returns and the CSM for Complete, but there are so many more ways to structure this. So, honestly to me it is just learning a new way to handle it. I also added the MISC fields to the PSM and customized the 1st 2 with drop down lists that I used to use in ATX. I find that once in a while I have to add to the drop down list, but this is easy to do in Setup.

I've demoed Xero and taken 3 of their Webinars. I think it's a very good program. It's a question of whether it fits your practice.

First, no payroll. Second, it's designed to replace businesses who use Quickbooks. You export the Quickbooks files to Exel,

make the required changes, then import the modified Exel files into Xero. It has probably the best bank reconciliation module

that I have ever seen. The only way that you can setup a new general ledger with your own standard chart of accounts is to create

an Exel file and then import it into Xero. It has an extensive list of Software Partners, that integrate with Xero.

I plan on taking another in depth look at it this summer, since they are making some enhancements.

I have used EasyACCT since the TAASC days and have continued to use it after the takeover by Intuit. Personally, I don't see much difference between the windows version from TAASC and the Intuit version. Head down writeup is easy, and so is live payroll. Joel, you might want to give EasyACCT another try after tax season. I haven't had time to try Drake writeup or payroll, but I will be evaluating it after tax season. If it works well enough, then I might drop EasyACCT and save a few bucks.

What is the renewal price on EasyAcct?

And will also look a Xero.

Thx both of you