ATX Community

ATX Backup

Randall

Just copied my ATX Backup files to a flashdrive. Was looking at it and under Company, only saw entity names, no individual returns. Saw a folder name Formset and saw the individual names. Is this where my returns are backed up? Just wanted to check. So far, nothing's happened for me to need the backup but was wanting to make sure I do have a good backup of my returns.

Yes, and the folder named "Backup" is empty, isn't it? I worry about next year.

Rita, my backup folder is not empty. Under the subfolder "Company' it has all the clients that I've backed up through last night. Has the name of the company, date modified, and "ATXBackup File" as the type of file.

Am I missing something? Am I believing that all is well when it is not??

Rita, my backup folder is not empty. Under the subfolder "Company' it has all the clients that I've backed up through last night. Has the name of the company, date modified, and "ATXBackup File" as the type of file.

Am I missing something? Am I believing that all is well when it is not??

All I know is I don't know. I have never seen so many different things happening with one software. I am really still stunned at the whole thing. Yes, for sure do an external backup.

Rita, do you have the backup function set up on automatic? If so, change it back to manual. Then every night do a backup and back it up to another folder on your computer. That way you will have a backup.

I do a manual backup every night, let it backup to the folder it wants to backup to. Then I do another backup to a portable drive. The two folders appear to be the same. It takes forever to do these backups but at least I am sure they are getting done.

Rita, do you have the backup function set up on automatic? If so, change it back to manual. Then every night do a backup and back it up to another folder on your computer.

Can't I have my cake and eat it, too? Automatic backup and a backup on the desktop and a backup to CD (or flash drive) and if I can think of any other backup, do that, too? lol

• Like 2

Can't I have my cake and eat it, too? Automatic backup and a backup on the desktop and a backup to CD (or flash drive) and if I can think of any other backup, do that, too? lol

That's pretty much what I am doing. I have noticed in the last two days, though, that when you hit the "save" button, the little ring is spinning, so something is happening that wasn't happening before. I still don't trust it so export every return to a jump drive as often as I remember while I am working on it; then when it is complete. Also backup entire system to an external drive at least twice a week. My backup system has the option to shut down the computer when it is done, so I can start the backup and go to bed.

Lemon for me! Thanks! :wacko:

• Like 2

We are having a serious problem. Our backups files are corrupt. Some client files are ok, others are not. ATX support is at a loss. We have restored our backups from the cloud and they too are missing many of the client files in our directories. Some of the files are returns that are finished and sent, others are work-in-progress files. It is random. Today many of our clients are simply missing from our menu.

Our computers are great, our server is new, our backup procedures are daily.

With three weeks ahead of us, I am worried.

I will keep you posted.

We are having a serious problem. Our backups files are corrupt. Some client files are ok, others are not. ATX support is at a loss. We have restored our backups from the cloud and they too are missing many of the client files in our directories. Some of the files are returns that are finished and sent, others are work-in-progress files. It is random. Today many of our clients are simply missing from our menu.

I will keep you posted.

I have been telling about this since update 12.9. The update caused us to lose 25 total returns because the backup file was corrupt. DO NOT DEPEND on the integrity of the back-up file. Tech support and the design department are clueless about 85% of the problems they have created in this new beast. I am going to start exporting all my clients to an external hard drive.

At the firm, this will be a 20+ hour process since we have about 1,700 clients in the program now.

I will keep you posted.

You say cloud, who is hosting it?

Yes, we scan every finished return. Yes, we can reconstruct our work-in-progress from good interview checklist and notes. But it's the manpower that is a problem. Everyone is already putting in 50-60+ hours just to stay on track. Finding the "extra" to re-input the returns. I don't know how much more I can ask of my employees, let alone the additional $$$$$$.

I may just think about retiring this year. I'm just not having fun anymore. Anyone interested in buying a practice in PA? And oh, yes, you might just have to re-enter several hundred returns next year from scratch instead of rolling them over. But no problem, that's next year's problem.

Guest Taxed

I hire high school kids (min wage) to scan the docs into my archiving software. As far as the finished return goes, I can print a PDF and store it in the electronic client file along with the scanned input documents and preparer notes.

How many returns do you do a year? I hear HRB and Jackson Hewitt area developers are on the prowl trying to buy small tax prep shops. i have received 3 or 4 letters and a few calls in my voice mail. Last year a guy showed up at the office without an appointment wanting to discuss a very generous opportunity for me. Needless to say i politely showed him the door!

Well, yes, we too get the annual H&R Block letter. I don't want to talk numbers on this site. However, tonight I had a serious discussion with my husband about about my retiring and selling my practice. After today's surprise at perhaps having lost several hundred returns, I am now on my second Crown Royal and ready to call it a night. Let's see what happens when the sun comes up.

Nite. Nite.

This is NOT the time to make that decision. That should be made in May or June at the earliest.

I know. I've now had a few hours of sleep. I will try to reset today. I'm just very discouraged and have to catch my breath and work with my employees to come up with a plan of action. I am just not used to feeling so vulnerable and worried.