ATX Community

ATX Backup

Randall

I found it finally by doing what I should have done - look under Options/Preferences and the last tab is Backup. That shows the path. When I went merrily down it, I found lots of things. Company folder has lots of client names at 2kb, a couple of 3kb. Formset folder must be the 5 previous backups and most of those are big numbers like 1500 to 3000kb.

So I'm thinking to backup the Backup folder (which I do on my external hard drive nightly). I'm not sure about the others SFA mentioned earlier - Efiles adn EFIN Enrollment. Have to go down more paths, I guess.

I exported all my returns (in blocks of 6 or 10 at a time) to an external hard drive. The export goes very fast; I only spent a couple minutes at it. The first set you choose the folder want to use, and after that it defaults there. That external hard drive then gets backed up to an online secure site every evening. Phew!

I just took a look at mine and none of them have a single digit kb count. I still don't trust it. I am exporting every return to an external device just as I have every other year. For some reason, my program isn't acting foolish any more. I have not installed the last two updates. I have never had the printing or disappearing check boxes that others have had. Have only had a few crashes and speed isn't all that bad. It HAS to be something to do with standalone, Win 7 64 bit.; and loaded up Ram. Today I did a Partnership and three pretty complicated returns; some rentals; a C with estimates and encountered no issues. Tomorrow may be another story. I am truly thankful and still running around 41 returns behind. Wishing you all well, but Margaret and a few others seem to be doing about the same as I am. There has to be a reason.

• Like 1

The checkbox problem only showed up with 12.10. I am running a lot faster, especially with printing, at 12.11. A lot of the weird little stuff seems to be settling down, and I'm discovering a lot in the program as I work with it, that makes what at first seemed to be glitches (wrong prior depreciation) into benefits as I learn what the program is doing and why.

What's the difference in your backup folders on your internal HD and the same folders backed up to an external HD. If one is corrupt, wouldn't the other also be corrupt? I thought the purpose of backing up to an external HD was in case something happened to your computer. If ATX backup system isn't working, how can we possibly have a good backup. I'm not a techie but I try to think conceptually of how these things work.

What's the difference in your backup folders on your internal HD and the same folders backed up to an external HD. If one is corrupt, wouldn't the other also be corrupt? I thought the purpose of backing up to an external HD was in case something happened to your computer. If ATX backup system isn't working, how can we possibly have a good backup. I'm not a techie but I try to think conceptually of how these things work.

This is the exact reason you should be exporting your returns to an external hard drive or another computer drive (if networked). You are correct about the the backup files being corrupt. ATX refuses to correct the issue.

Export is the only safe way to ensure integrity of your files.

TAXD OUT, Joanmcq, et al. We thought we had turned the corner regarding the quality and speed of our program. Here is what happened to cause the loss of returns: this is the first year that ATX separated the payroll program from the rest of the tax return program. When we loaded the two programs, they both (I think by default) loaded to the same directory. The programs were co-mingled. We saw this, but didn't uninstall and setup two different directories.

When we went to "create efile" to transmit all our W2's and 1099's we couldn't create ANY of them. ATX coached us through separating the programs, all looked good until the next day when our income tax returns disappeared.

The technician said that we were not the only ones that this happened to, and he had worked with others to correct the problem, find and restore the files.

ATX is working pretty great on our five i5 and i7's. Slow on our three AMD computers and impossible on the XP. All have Windows 7. I think we are going to install ATX 12.12 on Monday or Tuesday. We still get bumped out of the program on all the computers. That might be what is creating the 1kb backkups?

That is eerie, and not the case here. I hope you got that straightened out. I am not networked and really have had relatively minor problems compared to some of you. Jack is correct. You do not backup to your external device. You export the file after it is completed. Actually, I have gotten into the habit of exporting the file several times through the creation. That trusty little jump holds a wealth of uncompromised information. Even though my backup file appears to be OK, I have always used an external device to export returns be it a zip, a rev, or whatever worked at the time. You HAVE to have yourself covered or possibly live in a world of hurt.

I did discover one thing a week ago. In order to restore and/or import a file that has crashed, you have to delete the crashed file from the Program Manager. But then, I might be the only dummy who didn't know that. :wacko:

TAXD OUT, Joanmcq, et al. We thought we had turned the corner regarding the quality and speed of our program. Here is what happened to cause the loss of returns: this is the first year that ATX separated the payroll program from the rest of the tax return program. When we loaded the two programs, they both (I think by default) loaded to the same directory. The programs were co-mingled. We saw this, but didn't uninstall and setup two different directories.

When we went to "create efile" to transmit all our W2's and 1099's we couldn't create ANY of them. ATX coached us through separating the programs, all looked good until the next day when our income tax returns disappeared.

The technician said that we were not the only ones that this happened to, and he had worked with others to correct the problem, find and restore the files.

ATX is working pretty great on our five i5 and i7's. Slow on our three AMD computers and impossible on the XP. All have Windows 7. I think we are going to install ATX 12.12 on Monday or Tuesday. We still get bumped out of the program on all the computers. That might be what is creating the 1kb backkups?

The installation instructions on the website where you dowloaded the payroll program warned NOT to install in the same folder. In fact, during the install process, there was the same warning. I feel your pain as your files may be forever lost.

The installation instructions on the website where you dowloaded the payroll program warned NOT to install in the same folder. In fact, during the install process, there was the same warning. I feel your pain as your files may be forever lost.

:wall: We saw that same info on the website only a few days ago. Like taxes, it's reading and following instructions that makes the difference. Also known as "GIGO" (garbage in, garbage out). We laid the foundation for our problems.

By backing up our whole server every night to 2nd HD and to external drive obviously gets these files;

So no problem. And I feel better not knowing I have to depend on ATX's internal program backup / restore.

If you are not manually exporting all your client files, your data is not secure.

Backing up files created by ATX2012 only backs up files that are corrupted and not dependable.

I exported all my returns (in blocks of 6 or 10 at a time) to an external hard drive. The export goes very fast; I only spent a couple minutes at it. The first set you choose the folder want to use, and after that it defaults there. That external hard drive then gets backed up to an online secure site every evening. Phew!

I can't seem to get mine to work. when done it says 0 of 3 exported. is there somewhere that will tell me step by step how to do this. I looked on atx and that is what I followed but I must be missing a step. thanks

In the beginning you will have to tell the program where to export the returns. Have your device (presumably USB) connected. Check the box in front of the returns you want to export. Go to Program Manager, Returns, then navigate to export checked returns. It will probably ask you where you want to export them. Browse for your device. Mine happens to be E: Store and Go. When you have that directory in the box, click on OK or Export; whatever it says. Pretty much after the first time, when you are working on a return and click on Export, the system will know where to take it. A box will open up. If you have exported it before; as I am exporting them every couple of minutes while working on them; it will say this return already exists, do you want to override it. Obviously, if you have made changes the answer will be YES. You can then carry your device to any computer that contains the ATX 2012 program and "import" the return into that program. Really, really wonderful.

• Like 2

In spite of what the ATX technician recommended, (which we are faithfully doing), after reading all these posts regarding the "export" of returns, we have now added "export" as another protective step.

What more can we do. Oh yes, pray.

Thanks to everyone for helping us to understand the difference between the "ATX backup" and "ATX export" features.

If you are not manually exporting all your client files, your data is not secure.

Backing up files created by ATX2012 only backs up files that are corrupted and not dependable.

SFA had this reply below from ATX and I agree with. I backup all of ATX (including what ATX uses as data files). Not exported or imported but the actual files. I'm sure those aren't corrupted or else we wouldn't be able to open to work on. So if something happens, I could reinstall ATX and copy back in the data in it's entirety.

Then our routine backups of our server should include these files within the ATX program directory:

1. Backup Folder

2. Efiles

3. EFIN Enrollment

4. Network Share Folder (which includes "Formset")

He said that if we have these files, they can recreate our returns.

SFA had this reply below from ATX and I agree with. I backup all of ATX (including what ATX uses as data files). Not exported or imported but the actual files. I'm sure those aren't corrupted or else we wouldn't be able to open to work on. So if something happens, I could reinstall ATX and copy back in the data in it's entirety.

Then our routine backups of our server should include these files within the ATX program directory:

1. Backup Folder

2. Efiles

3. EFIN Enrollment

4. Network Share Folder (which includes "Formset")

He said that if we have these files, they can recreate our returns.

Your backup file is not involved in opening or working on returns. Your backup file is not dependable. Trust me or not. If you have to ever reinstall the program depending upon the backup file will cause you to wail long and loud when you try to restore.

1st hand experience on this one.