ATX Community

Efile accepted with wrong DOB

mrichman333

I'm not sure that that information is actually transmitted. I think it is only used to get to the proper level of standard deduction with the entry in box 39, test age limits for eic, etc. My state of DE has additional benes for those over ages 60 and 65. Is the client close to your age? When I have this situation, if I've had to estimate a DOB to continue on with the prep, I've always marked the input field as "estimated", and now in Drake as "flagged for review". Drake has a nifty checkbox on the notes page to hold the return so it can't be efiled until the note is resolved.

If you are using the practitioner PIN method you won't get a reject for the taxpayer's DOB, not exactly anyway. If you are claiming EIC without a qualifying child and the IRS records indicate the taxpayer is under 25 or older than 64 you'll get a reject to that effect. Or if trying to file with a 1040EZ and they're too old. Basically anytime the DOB affects something else that something else can get you a reject, but not the DOB itself.

If you are using the self select PIN method, you will get a reject for the DOB not matching.

For dependents, you'll get a reject if the year of birth on Sch EIC doesn't match. That obviously only affects the return when the dependent is shown on Sch EIC, if there is no EIC you won't get a reject for dependent DOB. You could still get related rejects just like you could for the taxpayer, for example if you enter the DOB making the dependent 16 and the IRS has the dependent as 17 you could get a reject for the dependent not qualifying for CTC. So DOB related reject, but not DOB itself.

That happened to me last year. Social Security had the wrong DOB for client's son. No problems in previous years. Last year I got a reject saying their 12 year-old wasn't eligible for child tax credit. Client had to go to Social Security office with his son & birth certificate to get them to correct it. On the plus side, it only took a few weeks (not sure how many), but was able to get return e-filed well before 10/15. (balance due was paid in April - yes, it could have been paper filed.)

I had been filing returns for a client for 9 years with the incorrect DOB.....never rejected. Neither of us noticed that it had been wrong until this year when she mentioned to me that she had turned 65 in December.....my data was telling me that she had just turned 63. I guess as long as it has no affect on the return (i.e.senior citizen credit), The IRS does not really care what DOB you use.