ATX Community

Sticking With ATX

Christian

I agree with John on the macros, although I didn't use any during the season. I wasn't sure that I would know how to set them up either, but today I set up 2 simple ones: one to jump to the pin screen, enter the current date and my 5-digit pin; the other to enter all of the information except the date, cost and FV for our local Goodwill drop off for n/c contributions. <--That would have saved me lots of repetitive typing. It wasn't *necessary* to have that macro, but it would have been a big time saver for sure and it only took a couple of minutes once I understood how to set it up.

Jack from Ohio, does your above posting mean that the owner of the firm you work for isn't even considering evaluating other software? If so, I think after this season that would be foolish and a big mistake. The firm has 8 months to test the other competing brands. There are other large firms that posted on the official ATX forum about being successful at converting from ATX to Proseries, Lacerte, Drake, and ProSystem Fx. While small, my conversion to Drake was easy and the only thing that really didn't convert well was related to business returns that had additional details on the worksheet for "other expenses" such as line 26 of a Form 1120. It only affected the comparison and not the returns themselves. All carryovers and depreciation were correct. Every.single.return.correct! And I did it in mid February! It would have been even easier if it had been mid-summer. I posted some things on here in those first couple of days that were due to my inexperience with the program, but within a couple of days I was comfortable enough to prepare returns with ease.

We all know that the firm you work for does 2900 returns, but how many preparers does that include, 7,8,9? It might be a lot of returns, but spread over that number of preparers, that volume isn't more than some others on here prepare. Spread those returns over the next 8 months and checking the conversions, or preparing some in another program, isn't the insurmountable task that you make it out to be. It just isn't! You and the owner should test out a couple of the programs and pick one as a backup. Just because the 2011 or 2012 files are converted does not mean that the original file is changed and never to be accessed by ATX ever again. I still have all of my 2011 ATX files intact, but I also have them in 2011 for Drake. I could prepare a 2012 return in either program.

Are you also not testing a backup program for the returns you do on the side and outside of the firm?

I'm small. I feel for Jack from Ohio. But I would consider switching to one of the high end programs. That's a lot of returns. It would seem you would need the higher end program anyway. Good luck. We all have choices to make this year in our own circumstances.

Regarding the Drake comments, I haven't used macros in Excel much. I've been wanting to learn more and more about using Excel. Tough to make the time. But the macros don't scare me. If I can start with simple ones to make things go faster and easier, I will learn. Still wondering about all the programs. I think the business is going to continue to be in a flux. There's no guarantee on any of these companies, large or small.

Regarding Excel (and hopefully not to take this too far off topic), let me suggest signing up for an Excel course at a local community college or training center. For about $150 and a couple of hours' time, you will more than get your money's worth in increased productivity. I've walked away from every course with something practical I could put into use almost immediately. It is important to find a course which enables each student to work at their own workstation simultaneously while the instructor controls the presentation. That way you can see on the main screen what you're supposed to see on your screen. If not, you usually learn two or three extra things while getting in sync with the presenter.

Anyone who works with numbers should have some Excel proficiency. First of all, it frees you from the constraints of standardized software when you need control and flexibility. Secondly, it gives you valuable insights into how all software manipulates data, so you have a better intuitive understanding of how financial software does it's magic. It helps you to achieve some degree of software transparency that can apply across the board.

As for number of returns and best practices, I'd say any office that prepares more than 200 returns is just begging for trouble by depending upon a single vendor. High volume practices scream for having at least two ACTIVE programs, and I believe this year has proven that hands-down. I'm not talking here about having a second vendor on standby - I'm talking about having the second vendor being in use on a stand-alone machine at the very least. It isn't very hard to gear up this way, the relative cost is minimal, and any claims to the contrary are simply excuses.

Every preparer will have different needs for software. There is NO "one size fits all" fit for software. Either way, at the firm, it is a very difficult decision to make with the volume of clients we have. It is NOT an option to re-enter all from scratch. Changing software will mean conversion. Conversion means "mostly correct." Conversion means that most carryover information won't. Conversion means scrutinizing every detail of every return.

We are going to have to scrutinize every return if ATX fixes its software. Do we add conversion and a learning curve that is far more than just how to input information. Since 2002, we have learned how ATX transfers information, all the nuances of the worksheets for certain fields, the "put it here, not there" things. If we only had 500 or less clients, much different issues.

Staying with ATX is still a viable option for our firm. We have many clients with lots of assets and carryover infromation from many years. Unless you are a firm with over 1,000 clients, you cannot relate to this set of circumstances to consider.

Jack, while I agree with you that "There is NO 'one size fits all' firt for software."

I strongly disagree that even for a firm of your size that it is that difficut to change software when the next tax season is a good 8 months away.

A firm your size has to have additional preparer resources that can test software and then convert your client base to a software of your choosing without great difficulty.

As JKLCPA posted above:

... There are other large firms that posted on the official ATX forum about being successful at converting from ATX to Proseries, Lacerte, Drake, and ProSystem Fx. While small, my conversion to Drake was easy and the only thing that really didn't convert well was related to business returns that had additional details on the worksheet for "other expenses" such as line 26 of a Form 1120. ...

and

We all know that the firm you work for does 2900 returns, but how many preparers does that include, 7,8,9? It might be a lot of returns, but spread over that number of preparers, that volume isn't more than some others on here prepare. Spread those returns over the next 8 months and checking the conversions, or preparing some in another program, isn't the insurmountable task that you make it out to be. It just isn't! You and the owner should test out a couple of the programs and pick one as a backup. Just because the 2011 or 2012 files are converted does not mean that the original file is changed and never to be accessed by ATX ever again. I still have all of my 2011 ATX files intact, but I also have them in 2011 for Drake. I could prepare a 2012 return in either program. ...

And I totally agree with her. It's just not as difficult as you think!

and one more thing.

If you choose to not consider a 2nd software package or changing software in your firm and have a similar experience with ATX 2013 as you and many of us had this year with ATX 2012; and have the same experience next year, you have only yourselves to blame. Not CCH/ATX.

I don't have to program my own software, reinvent the wheel, write macros. I can configure my program any way I want by checking a box for all returns or just this return (and, if I had other preparers, by preparer or by office or by other groups I designate or by types of return or combinations of those or...). It knows my PIN and my company info. I can have template returns (but I don't have a typical return, so don't; besides most are continuing clients and roll over with the forms I typically need). It can answer questions, assign e-file PINs, whatever I want it to do. The programmers have done the heavy lifting, so all I have to do is check or uncheck a box, answer yes or no. When I install a new year, I'm ready to work on returns, not work on the program! And, yes, I pay for that privilege, but my expertise is in tax preparation. My clients don't pay me for programming.

• Like 1

I don't have to program my own software, reinvent the wheel, write macros. I can configure my program any way I want by checking a box for all returns or just this return (and, if I had other preparers, by preparer or by office or by other groups I designate or by types of return or combinations of those or...). It knows my PIN and my company info. I can have template returns (but I don't have a typical return, so don't; besides most are continuing clients and roll over with the forms I typically need). It can answer questions, assign e-file PINs, whatever I want it to do. The programmers have done the heavy lifting, so all I have to do is check or uncheck a box, answer yes or no. When I install a new year, I'm ready to work on returns, not work on the program! And, yes, I pay for that privilege, but my expertise is in tax preparation. My clients don't pay me for programming.

Lion:

You seem to have the type of practice that can support the high end priced packages, like Pro System FX and I would expect Jack's office does as well. He and his firm should most certainly consider the high end tax software, as you have done.

I wish I was in the position to be able to do the same, use one of the more sophisticated programs and find that it was cost effective for a practice like mine. For many of us though, ATX was a unique product that let us get high end features through its extreme ability to be customized, while at very affordable for the small office.

ATX also had something I don't think even ProSystem FX has; Tons and Tons of forms that are only available in packages like SuperForms.

For me, as an Attorney, I used the other forms in ATX almost more than the tax preparation forms. For instance, I have incorporated clients all across the country and the forms in ATX made that much easier and faster than downloading forms from the various States.

Through ATX's flexible structure prior to 2012, I created my own forms, and documents to include: Corporate Books, Stock Certificates, 2553's, State registration forms, etc all in custom templates that I could auto-fill in literally minutes; letting ATX do the work, so I could use my time to provide my clients the legal expertise they needed.

No other software had this ability, NONE! And now ATX does not have this ability either.

Also, my primary business is practice before the IRS and the U.S. Tax Court, something the extra forms in ATX supported extremely well.

Now that I have left ATX, I will almost certainly need to buy a forms product to supplement the tax preparation software. And nothing will quite meet the flexibility and sophistication ATX had prior to 2012.

• Like 1

I remember the way it used to be. Used ATX for entities at HRB and on the side for a handful of partnerships and nonprofits that I had grandfathered in. In fact, I bought ZillionForms or whatever it was called years ago. Maybe even free one year. Then about $63 the next and $99 and $120. As the price went up, I eventually bought ATX pay per return but received all the forms included. Very handy. Bailed the season after the ATX message board closed down two weeks before tax season ended. So, I've been here since this board opened, but I was shopping for new software. I learned that I can afford ProSystem fx (or any other pricey software) in my very small practice, because it gives me the tools to do a few more returns to pay the higher price. It was a scary leap my first season, but paid for itself before tax season was over. Many of you found a software to work in your practices this season. I hope the rest of you find one, or at least a back-up software, during this off season.

Joel, your post exactly expresses what we used ATX for. I'm not a lawyer, but one of my sons is, and he used the program just as you describe. While I, in the "Accounting" end of my part of the business, used things like the sales tax forms, payroll forms, etc, a lot. It was a tremendous tool. I hope every Drake user will encourage Drake to try to get a special 'bundle' price for their customers from SuperForms or some other good forms package.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm small. I feel for Jack from Ohio. But I would consider switching to one of the high end programs. That's a lot of returns. It would seem you would need the higher end program anyway. Good luck. We all have choices to make this year in our own circumstances.

Regarding the Drake comments, I haven't used macros in Excel much. I've been wanting to learn more and more about using Excel. Tough to make the time. But the macros don't scare me. If I can start with simple ones to make things go faster and easier, I will learn. Still wondering about all the programs. I think the business is going to continue to be in a flux. There's no guarantee on any of these companies, large or small.

I meant to add something important to our side conversation concering learning more about Excel but it slipped my mind until this morning. There's a great site which provides email tips on using Excel. Here's the link: http://excel.tips.net/faq.html?awt_l=EXwEx&awt_m=Jmdj2_Z_QHsx4X

There's a free version and a paid version. Both are very helpful, with the paid version just having more info each week. The tips usually arrive on Saturday morning, and they are frequently very useful. So I'm passing this info along just in case you want to get more involved in Excel and develop proficiency.

• Like 1