ATX Community

Drop box suggestions

jklcpa

Guest Taxed

My bank got rid of that vacuum cleaner system after that bottle got stuck one too many times. Now they have a drawer they push out below the drive up window.

They are also coming out with an app that you can scan or take a picture of the check for deposit and you will not need to go to the bank, unless you want to use the ATM.

Guest Taxed

It is neat when you can just scan your deposit checks. I believe Bank of America already has that application free for their business customers.

Wells Fargo has a nice feature with their ATM machines around here - you can make deposits without a deposit slip. I carry a "For Deposit Only" stamp in my car, so when checks arrive at my Post Office Box, I just stamp them, drive directly to the ATM, and make the deposit. The bank emails me a deposit receipt with an image of the checks, and that's what I use to post the payments to my A/R. I had previously been thinking about getting a desktop device, but this method is much simpler.

Several banks also offer a way to make deposits using the iPhone, thus obviating the need for the desktop scanning device in your office. I've tested it once or twice with Wells Fargo and Fifth Third Bank - I found it to be OK

The smartphone deposit really isn't any different than the scanner. The only problem I have experienced is getting the image just right - one check I had to process 3 tims before getting an image it would accept. Once it's accepted, they tell you to hold onto the original check for 5 days and then destroy it. I imagine the rules are the same for the desktop scanner.

Guest Taxed

I think within a year or 2 most banks will push this option for routine check deposits. The scanning software is getting better each year, especially the OCR features.

I use a standard large mail box that we installed a locking mechanism with a key on the top of the front door. A drop off flap was installed on top of the box that can be lifted for clients to put their items in it. I made a sign that I put on the front of the mailbox that reminds clients to raise the red flag so I will know they have dropped off their info. We made a wooden stand for the box, then attached the stand and mailbox to the left of the office entrance opening.

Very inexpensive (if one has the tools, etc..) and clients seem to love it. My "real" mailbox is located on the road, and my office is located on a private road back behind and to the side of my home. No problems at all, however, it is beneficial to live in a rural community where neighbors still watch one another's property.

Before the mailbox, I simply put a file holder on one wall of a room located under the carport. No lock, etc.. but clients seemed not to mind. I do feel much better with the current locked mail box.