ATX Community

Free 2013 CE credits

TaxMan60601

Just curious, if anyone has so far come across ads for free CE credits in 2013?

I suppose you all are well aware of current IRS requirements on the matter, anyway to keep in shape I am using a CE provider services occasionally and just saw their 2013 offer for free credits - passed the test, and credits were reported to the IRS on the same day. Nice one.

My personal preference is to acquire Continuing Professional Education credits by Continuing Professional Education. That is, by attending teaching seminars and classes where I actually CONTINUE EDUCATING myself.

Those companies that sell CPE credits are a huge disservice to our industry.

And still the question comes up about "uneducated and unqualified" preparers...

• Like 1

My personal preference is to acquire Continuing Professional Education credits by Continuing Professional Education. That is, by attending teaching seminars and classes where I actually CONTINUE EDUCATING myself.

Those companies that sell CPE credits are a huge disservice to our industry.

And still the question comes up about "uneducated and unqualified" preparers...

It depends! I've taken some online classes in areas where I have not found live classes to take, and they have been both good and useful. You have to choose carefully and actually put the time in to learning.

It is also less easy to bluff your way through an online class than it is to sit and snooze through a live class. I see it in meetings all the time; folks sitting in the back, asleep, or playing Monopoly or tetris on their iPad... they're not getting anything good for their time and money.

• Like 3

>><<My personal preference is to acquire Continuing Professional Education credits by Continuing Professional Education.

Not me. It's not cost effective. I study some nice books that would tack on high "grading fees" that don't add a dime's worth to what I'm learning. In my observation, most live seminars are very inefficient and generally inaccurate when they stray from their own printed syllabus. So just buy the book, and slam through all the free credits you can.

• Like 1

It also depends on how a person learns best because sitting in a live seminar is not the most effective for some of us. I believe that I learn best by reading the material and then taking the quizzes, and even better if I can spread the time out so that it isn't all at one sitting for those higher credit courses.

My state used to limit the self-study credits to 24 hrs during each two year reporting period, and webinars were considered self-study. Because the seminar is now interactive with participants having the ability to ask questions, the state has changed its rule to consider live webinars as live group classes. I purchased the unlimited package from Surgent McCoy for $599 that runs through the end of this year and have already completed several seminars. My biennial reporting deadline is June 30th, so this means that some of the credits will go onto the next reporting period that ends in 2015. If I do some each month, then my per credit cost could be as low as $10 per credit hour compared to $33+ for the same live seminar sponsored by the state society where I have to sit next to people texting all day long, reading the newspaper, doing another self-study course at the same time, working on client work on their laptop, or snoring. Yes, I've had instances of each of those at every seminar!

Other benefits for me compared to a live offsite seminar: I can take new courses that are more relevant to my client base instead of the state society courses that are the same ones over each 2 years, I don't spend money on wasted gas, no wasted time driving, and I don't have to try to make it home during the lunch break to give my dogs a potty break.

• Like 1

Pretty hard these days for me to justify traveling to a seminar site and sitting all day in a class which is usually paced to the learning abilities and skill level of the lowest-qualified participants, with rest breaks and lunch scheduled at times which may not necessarily be when I'm ready to rest my brain and body. Group seminars must be planned and paced in that manner because they need to appeal to the lowest common denominator in order to meet their enrollment targets. Cookie cutter education is as archaic as buggy rides. Both will get you to your destination, you'll learn something along the way, and the scenery may be even nice, but they're anything but efficient.

I think it's much more efficient to complete CE online at my own pace, which will be faster than some and slower that others. Of course, I still have the responsibility to evaluate whether the online education has accomplished anything in terms of advancing my knowledge. And that usually isn't known for sure until after the course is completed, regardless of whether it's online or in person.

• Like 1

I prefer live seminars, but I pick ones that will add to my knowledge base, not just give me some credits. For example, last year I attended the AFTPS Boot Camp to learn more about collections and OICs from people that have a lot of real world experience in them. Networking and discussion with other tax pros is an added bonus. Smaller classes allow for a lot of question & answer. I've taken some of the very specific CCH webinars too, when I need information that isn't readily available, like filing a 5471. Hour long classes like you get at a lot of conferences tend to be a waste of time, and I get irritated if I know more about the subject than the person teaching. And I like to travel, so if my budget allows, I find it another bonus of live seminars and conferences!

• Like 1

The more specialized classes are always better, because few 'green' newbies take those. Talking with real professionals who are at those levels are almost always beneficial. But that's a whole world away from the general sessions for everybody. I'd take on-line over those any time.

• Like 1

Useful feedback, thanks to everyone.

Seems like both live seminars and webinars have their advantages and shortcomings and its normal.

Since the list with an IRS approved CE provider is currently unavailable I am regularly checking the websites of my 2012 CE providers.

I tried this, with FFA: http://fastforwardacademy.com/index-page-continuing-professional-education.htm

This one I find it good too: http://www.eitc.irs.gov/rptoolkit/main/