ATX Community

New Computer

imjulier

Great-Got a new computer so that ATX can't blame me for the slowness. 2012 ATX supported windows XP and windows 7. 2013 software recommends windows 7 or windows 8. New computer has windows 8. Can't load 2012 software on new computer with windows 8 for rollover to 2013. Do you think ATX will help with this? I'm not confident but haven't called them yet.

I Don't think ATX 2012 supports Win 8. This is off there ATX website:

Windows 8 Compatibility

Microsoft has recently released the Windows 8 operating system. The ATX application for 2012 has not been fully tested for compatibility with Windows 8. We will fully support Windows 8 within the upcoming year. For now, we strongly encourage you to follow the recommended system

August @ adgfinancial.com

If you read any of the computer user magazines like PC Mag etc. Windosws 8 got a very mixed review. Many are eagerly waiting for Windows 8.1 to restore some of the "old" functionality, especially the start menu.

ATX documentation says 2012 ATX did not support Win8. When I couldn't load it, I thought this was the reason, I can't even get my Win 8 to read the ATX 2012 disk. I did not get touch screens, etc. I realize now this is the reason for Win 8. I'm looking into if I can revert back to Win 7. I couldn't find any off-the-shelf computers with Win 7....this was pre-loaded. I have always just purchased off-the-shelf computers and didn't realize that this doesn't work any more. Hopefully MS does not decide to run/ruin our lives any more than they already do by coming out with a new operating system every year, but I do think this is where we are headed.

If I was a tech head instead of an accountant/tax preparer, I would have already known all this.

>> I can't even get my Win 8 to read the ATX 2012 disk. <<

That is strange. Can your computer read other CDs?

What happens when you go My Computer -> CD Drive and righ click. Can you open explorer and see the files on the CD?

>> I can't even get my Win 8 to read the ATX 2012 disk. <<

That is strange. Can your computer read other CDs?

What happens when you go My Computer -> CD Drive and righ click. Can you open explorer and see the files on the CD?

That's a pretty smart computer - looks like it senses what it's getting into if it opens 2012...

• Like 1

See if you can open it in Compatability Mode?

Run the Program Compatibility Wizard
Open the Program Compatibility Wizard by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Programs, and then clicking Use an older program with this version of Windows. [This is for Win 7, adjust for appropriate Win 8 commands]
Follow the instructions in the wizard.
If you cannot install a program, insert the installation disc for the program and, using the wizard, browse to the program's setup file, usually called Setup.exe, Install.exe, or something similar. The wizard is not designed to work on programs that have an .msi file name extension.
To change compatibility settings manually for a program, right-click the icon for the program, click Properties, and then click the Compatibility tab.

Your other option is to have a local computer tech wipe the drive and install Win 7. I know of others locally in our area who have done this. The other problem you will have with Win 7 is that ATX will not support the program 2008 and later. This was explained to me by their Tech Support when I made the more to Win 7. So I keep an XP machine just in case I have to do an older return. As we do a lot of problem work. Good luck with working all this out.

August @ adg financial.com

Good luck, and let us know how it works out for you. I'd certainly try to make it work, since no doubt the Win 7 will eventually no longer be supported, just like they are doing now with XP. I loved XP, but find now that Win 7 is working fine, and does have a few new features I like. Remember, I did not give up DOS until my tax software give me no choice! :blush: Then once I got used to the Windows XP [i hung back so long I skipped everything Windows before XP] I realized how much great stuff became available that DOS just could not provide. I'm happy with Win 7 now, but somewhere down the road, if I make it that long, I am sure I will move up to some other platform. Maybe Win 9 or 10?! :P

• Like 1

Not sure why you can't load ATX 2012. ATX and other programs all say they don't support W8. But the programs run just fine on W8. I have ATX 2012, QB, Peachtree and others. If you don't like touch, don't get W8. W 8.1 will not do away with W8. W8 is NOT another Vista. That's a techie sound bite that has spread like wildfire. IT techies and tech rags have all jumped on the 'I hate W8' bandwagon. I plan to get a new office pc, W8, touch, Thunderbolt portal. The biggest holdup now is the touch monitors and Thunderbolt devices are pricey. Apps will start to support W8. They'll have to go forward or lose out.

I've said it in other threads.. Windows 8 isn't all that much different from Windows 7. People are over-reacting.

It needs a start button, which they're adding in 8.1. The windows key on your keyboard will do the same thing, but if you want the button there, you can buy a program for $5 to add a really nice windows 7 style start button and menu:

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

Without the application, the start menu is a full screen menu. It has much better keyboard navigation and shortcuts than windows 7. (example, hit windows key, start typing the name of your application, and hit enter. application opens) Keybaord shortcuts aren't for everyone, but I like them quite a bit.

Just ignore/remove all of the hokey Metro (touch optimized) apps, and use it like you would use Windows 7.

>>I want the touch and I want to work in the same os with my pc, laptop, phone.<<

That is why Windows 8 is wonderful. In the past, new versions were criticized for being buggy, unstable, vulnerable to hacking, not backwards compatible. This time the main complaint is that it doesn't LOOK the same. We have to learn a new interface.

But we have to learn that anyway, to take advantage of mobility (which turns out to be VERY productive). Personally I switched to Chrome because it's real clean cross-platform, but if you stay all Microsoft you'll have the safest online programs available in the new Internet Explorer and Skydrive. The upgrade is only $35, and you get tons of free newsreaders and all sorts of other apps that work flawlessly. Not to mention synching with any other computer or device you use. What's not to like?

>>Can you run Microsoft Office in Chrome?<<

Chrome is a web browser like Microsoft's Internet Explorer and Apple's Safari, not an operating system. Microsoft Office runs on the Windows desktop, although there is an online version called 365. The new Office 2013 has a lot of integration and synchronization with the Internet, so files can be stored online, transferred to other computers, connect with services including Skype, Hotmail, Flickr, etc.

Chrome is free and runs on PCs, Macs, smartphones, and tablets. It has it's own online office suite called Google Docs, which is also free.