ATX Community

Catherine, Do you think this will help my son get into MIT?

BulldogTom

Catherine,

You and I have spoken several times about my son's desire to attend MIT. Attached is the recommendation letter he recieved from his intership at NASA this past summer.

Yes, I am bragging, isn't that what parents are supposed to do.

Ignore the date, he corrected it to 2013 on a later e-mail.

Tom

Recommendation Patrick Carlson.pdf

• Like 4

Tom -- this is absolutely FABULOUS. Were I the alum interviewing him, and he came to me with an recommendation like the one you posted, I would recommend him in the strongest terms available.

If you would like another take (as if you need it -- you should be busting your buttons with pride over this!) I would be happy to pass this along to a couple of classmates of mine who DO interview potential students for MIT (those who can't make it to Cambridge in person for interviews).

Catherine

• Like 1

Tom -- this is absolutely FABULOUS. Were I the alum interviewing him, and he came to me with an recommendation like the one you posted, I would recommend him in the strongest terms available.

If you would like another take (as if you need it -- you should be busting your buttons with pride over this!) I would be happy to pass this along to a couple of classmates of mine who DO interview potential students for MIT (those who can't make it to Cambridge in person for interviews).

Catherine

Sure, send it along. It can't hurt. Patrick is currently waiting for his interview to be scheduled. He is on pins and needles because the interviewer has not gotten back to him yet.

Still keeping our fingers crossed. Step one, get him accepted. Step two, find the money. Not sure which one will be harder to accomplish.

Thanks for the kind words.

• Like 2

My son and I visited MIT a number of years ago when he was in the process of choosing a college. He refused to even apply for two reasons. One is that he read on one of those college ranking places that 50% of accepted students scored a perfect 800 on their math SATs. (That was perfect before they inflated the scores in more recent years.) He only scored 793 and thought he would be inferior! (Driving back from the exam site he actually had an "aha" moment and realized that one problem he got wrong and wondered if he could go back and change it!)

The other reason he didn't apply is that when we went for a site visit we sat in a huge rotunda waiting for the tour to begin. It was like a crossroads where students coming to and from lunch and to and from classes passed through. He noticed that except for a few girls, most of the students walked alone. He put that observation together with the many presentations we heard that day stressing the point that students are not competitors. They're a team, they're the best, they all got into MIT, and they share that special status and love and cooperate with one another. He just couldn't match the words with what he saw. And the words were almost overemphasized, like the lady doth protest too much. He just couldn't buy it.

He ended up at Carnegie Mellon, which is ranked right up there with MIT. He excelled, graduated with multiple honors, immediately got a high-paying job, and now just a few years later makes more than his parents put together ever made. And he loves his work as an engineer. What more could anyone ask for their child? And we're sure he'll be able to support us in our old age. :)

When you visit the campus, just be sure your son is comfortable there. Prestige means nothing if it's not the right match for him.

• Like 1

Catherine,

Do you know a David Morales? He is supposed to do the interview with my son. Patrick has e-mailed him twice but not gotten a response for a scheduled date for the interview.

MIT has lots of grads, and not really expecting that you would know one from the West Coast, but I just thought I would ask.

Thanks

Tom