ATX Community

ATX conversion to Drake

JRS

When I converted, most of the essential information converted, but things that change from year-to-year like IRA contributions or social security income, did not always convert.

The part that did convert gave you a head start since , SSNs, W-2, 1099 Schedule C,E, and F information

converted enough to preclude having to enter all of the repetitive names, addresses, etc.and served as a reminder to check that they were provided by the client unless no longer relevant.

The main thing to watch for is depreciation, which may not convert properly. Also, Drake uses 5 years, for example, instead of 60 months for amortization. I believe ATX used the number of months.

I am running the 'Convert ATX to Drake' program that I got in teh mail from Drake today. I can't seem to put in the correct data path for ATX 2012. Has anyone converted ATX 2012 data to Drake 2012 successfully? Can you please share the path for the Drake conversion tool uses to "find" the ATX 2012 returns?

I believe the default path for your 2012 ATX data files was C:ProgramDataCCH Small Firm ServicesATX2012FormsetsFormset).

Did you download the conversion instructions too? This forum doesn't allow attachments in this section, but that can be found on Drake's support site. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll attach it to a PM for you from this site.

I posted this a month or so when someone said they couldn't figure out the data files that were for each client since the ATX data file contains only a number sequence. Here is my response from another thread that some here may find helpful:

It is not necessary to open each return and perform keystrokes to find out the file names ATX used to store the clients' data. The complete list of all the backup files that includes the client's name can be found in this directory: C:ProgramDataCCH Small Firm ServicesATX2012BackupFormset.

Note that the above is a different path than the following one that only contains the lettered/numbered file name: C:ProgramDataCCH Small Firm ServicesATX2012FormsetsFormset. Other than including the clients' names, the remaining letters and numbers of the file name are the same in both sets of files.

I am running the 'Convert ATX to Drake' program that I got in teh mail from Drake today. I can't seem to put in the correct data path for ATX 2012. Has anyone converted ATX 2012 data to Drake 2012 successfully? Can you please share the path for the Drake conversion tool uses to "find" the ATX 2012 returns?

If it is off of a network setup it is not that datapath. You have to go into the workstation folder. I suggest calling them and they will walk you through the install.

• Like 1

When I used the conversion program, I had the basic differences referred to above. In addition, I tried to set up the estimated tax payments for 2013 using the amounts in the 1040-ES as given to the client, assuming that would carryover to the 2013 file, however, it made its own computation (only $20 vs. $3920 for the total). I think it might have something to do with the 1099-Rs, but I am not sure. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, were you able to fix it?

Thanks,

Dennis

Hi Dennis, I entered the 2013 estimates on screen "ES" as overrides in the boxes on the right-hand side of that screen. I didn't let Drake calc them at all or use the "ETA" screen (estimated tax adjustments).

I used Drake to prepare my 2012 returns. I haven't rolled any of those returns over to the 2013 program yet.

Thanks, Judy. I originally entered the correct amounts on the "ES" screen, and they didn't go to the 1040-ES. I guess I am hoping that the "ES" screen amounts will roll over to 2013. Did you recall what happened when you rolled 2011 over to 2012, as to which took?

I did receive the 2013 disk today. I guess I could install it and roll that one return over.

Dennis

I rolled one over for you to test.

Here's what the ES screen had on it for 2012:

Top left a "T" for taxpayer, and at the right for 2013, an OP code of "R" to apply the overpayment from 2012 to the first quarter's 2013 voucher.

In the boxes below that, the 2013 estimates that I entered were $3125 for each quarter's for federal, $375 for state each quarter.

2013 ES screen after rollover shows this:

"T" for taxpayer at top

and in the left-hand side, $207 in the overpayment applied from 2012

$2918 in the first quarter's estimated payment, $3125 in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

All boxes with numbers are shown in green, meaning that those fields are flagged by the system for review because those came over automatically and needed to be checked by the preparer to make sure those are accurate. You can right click on that field to remove the flag and leave it as is, or if the client paid something different or missed the payment, simply type the paid amount in the box.

State amounts of $375 per quarter also rolled forward.

So to answer your question, YES, the estimates that were set up in 2012 came over automatically to the proper fields in 2013, and it is showing the proper reduced payment for the 1st quarter federal voucher because of the overpayment that was left in.

On comparing the 2012 ATX with the conversion to 2012 Drake.. I have also found that the EIC doesn't show up in Drake 2012.

Beware it will not be an actual copy. Lot's of great info carries over. But adjustments will be necessary.

I am working on editing all 600 of my returns now to make them an exact copy. Time now or time later. I feel it is better for me to do it now so I can be confident of my rollover to Drake 2013 will be accurate. If I don't do it now, I will have to adjust the 2013 later for such things as:

1. Taxable state refund calculation.

2. 2210 calculation for 2013 depend on 2012 tax liablility.

3. Carryforward of refund from 2012 to 2013 (applied forward) was missing.

4. Ability to do ammendments in Drake 2012 for my clients (won't have to fight with ATX 2012)

5. Prior year comparison will be correct after my edit..

I'm sure there are more...

Before you drive yourself nuts look at the details that are actually converted. When you download the conversion program from Drake site mouse over to the actual form 1040 and click to see what fields are converted.

The intention of the conversion is NOT to exactly replicate a 2012 ATX to a 2012 Drake return.

In your example there is no need to convert EIc amount as long as the demographics are converted. The 2013 EIc will be based on that not 2012 values.

Check the carryforwards.

When you update from Drake 2012 to 2013 these items require manual checking. There is a list for Form 1065, 1041, 1120 that prints when you update.

Individual (1040) Certain Canadian Retirement Plans
Individual (1040) Additional Medicare Tax
Individual (1040) Net Investment Income Tax
Individual (1040) Office in Home - Safe Harbor Method
Individual (1040) Casualties and Thefts Page 3
Return Type Form Description
Individual (1040) Consent to Use of Tax Return Info - ACA
Individual (1040) Calculations For Affordable Care Act
Individual (1040) Depreciation Reconciliation
Individual (1040) Form 4136 - Evidence of Dyed Diesel
Individual (1040) Form 4136 - Evidence of Dyed Kerosene
Individual (1040) Form 4136 - Evidence of Dyed Diesel Sold
Individual (1040) Form 4136 - Evidence of Dyed Kerosene Sold
Individual (1040) Form 8960 - Dispositions of Int and Stock Adj
Individual (1040) Form 8960 - Modifications to Investment Inc
Individual (1040) Form 8960 - Additional Modifications
Individual (1040) Message Page for eSignature

I agree that the EIC is not crucial... but I have always used the prior year comparison when reviewing the returns with my clients.

I could just forego that for this year... but the process of editing a lot of returns will help with possible 2210 calculations in 2013..and

it will give me a lot of "practice" in Drake input processes!

Just thought I would throw this out.

Not that this isn't a great board, but it is really geared more towards ATX and Tax specific issues IMHO.

Although Eric was nice enough to provide this Drake section, I think the Drake users here that have technical issues will find (as I have), that the Drake board may serve you better for Drake specific tech questions. I have found that the Drake board has a lot of long time and very experienced users, which has really short cut my learning curve.

Also, unlike the ATX regular board (not this one), there is virtually no drama!

Just my 2 cents worth, so take it for what it is worth.

• Like 1

I agree in general but this board could also serves us to candidly talk about Drake without Drake company administrators looking over our shoulders. IMHO.

You know Drake and the NSA are always watching everything --- EVERYWHERE!!

I tend to agree with both you and Joel, yes this basically is an ATX board and yes Drake information might be better served on the Drake board, BUT, this section has helped me actually stay with ATX as it gave some good perspectives and information I might have missed on the other boards. Especially information on Drake, TRX, TaxExact, etc. that I definitely wouldn't have gotten on other boards(Drake for instance, as not being a Drake user, I couldn't probably get into).

It's kind of like the political section here --- good information BUT if you don't want to know or don't have any interest --- stay where you want.

• Like 2

You know Drake and the NSA are always watching everything --- EVERYWHERE!!

I tend to agree with both you and Joel, yes this basically is an ATX board and yes Drake information might be better served on the Drake board, BUT, this section has helped me actually stay with ATX as it gave some good perspectives and information I might have missed on the other boards. Especially information on Drake, TRX, TaxExact, etc. that I definitely wouldn't have gotten on other boards(Drake for instance, as not being a Drake user, I couldn't probably get into).

It's kind of like the political section here --- good information BUT if you don't want to know or don't have any interest --- stay where you want.

What turned you off from Drake and made you stay with ATX. Our issue is still waiting to be addressed. On ATX once the file size grows it becomes very slow and can take 5-6 seconds to move from cell to cell. I am waiting to see if this is a problem with 13 when the forms are released.

What turned you off from Drake and made you stay with ATX. Our issue is still waiting to be addressed. On ATX once the file size grows it becomes very slow and can take 5-6 seconds to move from cell to cell. I am waiting to see if this is a problem with 13 when the forms are released.

Basically cost and I prefer forms entry, not data sheet entry.

I'm a small practice rebuilding after losing clients while I had some medical items and I have the time. I don't do really stressful returns (no corp., partnership, big small business, only very small - small business) - which means 1040 with maybe some E's and limited investments. Also, been with ATX before it was Saber, etc. and willing to give a second chance.

However, I did talk with some senior ATX people, received input from some good people (one on this forumn, especially), had a decision sheet "good/bad" and ATX actually made out OK - IF all is fixed, as described to me, etc. Took the deferred payment plan, as if it goes bad, I'll still have money to buy "other" software and have already told ATX, I'll not pay them balance.

My BIG problem will be "which software". Looked at TaxExact and liked it but found from this board -- definitely NOT WHERE I want to go. Time will tell but my ATX 2013 is working, all loaded, up to date, all returns (less than 100) rolled over well and all data there for my ones with depreciation, clients employers, retirements, etc., etc. I'm a stand alone with computers that all meet and exceed minimum requirements and one I used last year that exceeds all requirements.

NOTE: Although had problems last year, with my "top computer" (other sat at house but top came with me to medical rehab) I had less than what some others had, so I'm willing to see what happens. So far, so good.

I agree. I did give Drake a try, but had problems installing. I tried a couple of returns, but didn't like the worksheet entry, much prefer looking at forms, and although you can do it somewhat that way with Drake,, I couldn't remember how so it slowed me way down.

So far ATX 2013 is behaving but I do agree with what Jack says, follow instructions carefully, do not think of this as old type ATX and do not alter any directories. Let it install where it wants and do not move backup or data filees.

Deb!

It is a steep learning curve going from forms based to data entry screens. But once you get over that hump, it is quicker in Drake. However I do see the point for people who like to enter data on the form itself and know while line it is going to as they are inputing.

It is a steep learning curve going from forms based to data entry screens. But once you get over that hump, it is quicker in Drake. However I do see the point for people who like to enter data on the form itself and know while line it is going to as they are inputing.

I see no learning curve at all as it relates to input my learning curve is figuring out where things go.

Did you know that Drake provides a little "cheat sheet" 2013 Data Entry Screen Codes Form 1040. It lists the Line#, Screen and Source. So for example IRA Distribution (1099-R) goes on screen 1099:3 line 15b.

You can download that cheat sheet from the support site under downloads.