ATX Community

Where were you 50yrs ago 11-22-63

ILLMAS

I was in kindergarten; had just turned five years old about a month earlier. At home, watching TV, when they interrupted whatever kiddie show I was watching with solemn looks and words I didn't understand. No video coverage; those were the days when they only got pictures over the satellite links at specified times, to tape on-site and replay locally later. Everyone was so grim I got scared and started crying without even knowing why.

Funny the things that stick in your mind: while I can't remember what was said on TV or who said it, I remember the solemn expression, the grim tone, the "snow" in the picture (because the rabbit ears weren't tuned quite right), the feel of the rough sofa upholstery when I hid my head on the arm, and feeling scared.

I had just turned four. I remember my mom was really upset, she was Irish Catholic. I was too young to grasp the seriousness of the situation but vividly remember watching the military service at Arlington Cemetery on TV. The coffin covered by the American flag and the 21 gun salute stand out. I also remember at some point mom intently watching LBJ speaking.

Living in TX at the time, I also remember the fairly wide-spread speculation about LBJ's possible connection! He was well known within the state as a dangerous person, with powerful connections.

May be LBJ got wind of this concern????

President John F. Kennedy was so "worried for the country" about the prospect that Vice President Lyndon Johnson might succeed him as president that he'd begun having private conversations about who should become the Democratic Party's standard-bearer in 1968, Jacqueline Kennedy recalled in a series of oral-history interviews recorded in early 1964.

She said her husband believed strongly that Johnson shouldn't become president and, in the months before his death in November 1963, he'd begun talking to his brother, Robert Kennedy, about ways to maneuver around Johnson in 1968.

"Bobby told me this later, and I know Jack said it to me sometimes. He said, 'Oh, God, can you ever imagine what would happen to the country if Lyndon was president?'" she said.

The president gave no serious consideration to dropping Johnson from the ticket in 1964, Jacqueline Kennedy recalled. But he did have some talks about how to avoid having Johnson run for president in 1968, at the end of what would have been Kennedy's second term, she said.

"He didn't like that idea that Lyndon would go on and be president because he was worried for the country," she said. "Bobby told me that he'd had some discussions with him. I forget exactly how they were planning or who they had in mind. It wasn't Bobby, but somebody. Do something to name someone else in '68."

I was a Senior in High School standing in the hallway getting ready to enter a Civics class.

The news was announced over the P A system.

I remembered my Civics teacher saying, " The stupid bastards actually went ahead and did it."

He wouldn't explain his comment. Grist for the conspiracy theorists ?

LBJ got into the senate with a victory of just 87 votes more than his opponent, Coke Stevenson. Everyone in the graveyard in Duval County voted for Johnson. H.L. Adams, who was the Democratic County Chairman in the adjoining county was a Stevenson supporter and kept a copy of the old newspaper in his office in which LBJ's thin win was reported. After LBJ became vice president, Mr. Adams said Kennedy's life might be in danger. I saw Mr. Adams after the assassination and he made no comment about any suspicion that Johnson had a hand in the assassination.

As bad as LBJ was, I don't think he would have had anything to do with Kennedy's murder.

I prefer to remain neutral on the subject of LBJ; after reading several books about him and visiting his home and birthplace in TX several times. He left office a broken man after inheriting a maelstrom. Of course, now we are getting political and may be audited.

I was in Mrs. White's 4th grade classroom in the basement of Franklin Elementary School in Vincennes IN. We got three announcements: that JFK had been shot, that he had died and that school was being dismissed early. I remember Mrs. White saying, "Fifty years from now you'll remember that you were in Mrs. White's classroom the day President Kennedy was shot." Sure 'nuff, I remember!

I remember when I got off the school bus being shocked to see that my dad was already home in the middle of the day. To my young mind, that was almost as jarring as the events in Dallas.