ATX Community

Computer Help needed!

cred65

When restarting my OLD computer XP and backed up with Carbonite I get the screen message:

NTLDR is missing

Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

However when I do this I get looped back to this same screen and cannot access the system.

Any ideas or do I need to call IT tech?

I am typing this from my NEW computer Win 7 Pro.

When restarting.....hold down F8 key and try to start in Safe Mode. When in safe mode, you can do a diagnostics for boot repair.

I know this is brief, but step by step is too detailed.

SEE:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/dd302384.aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee532075.aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee460919.aspx

That message indicates that the computer cannot read the boot sector on the hard drive. It is a very large symptom of hard drive failure. I hope you had all the important information backed up from the old dinosaur...

Thanks Jack;

I took it to the IT shop and will know something tomorrow (I think).

I had previously loaded 2012 & 2013 on my new computer.

I have both NEW & OLD backed up with Carbonite.

I used to say "pull out that floppy disk from the drive".

Do you happen to have that old smart phone attached to the computer?

Pull out any CDs too.

This is the situation, sometimes computers try to boot up from another drive if you have a device attached to it.

Edited by Pacun

The NTLDR File is a boot loader. If this is corrupt. You will not be able to load the OS. This can happen for a variety of reasons.

To access the data. You can get a Hard Drive Enclosure for the type of drive. Then plug it into the USB and it will mount the drive as an external drive and access the data.

Just save the files for ATX in the Program Files Directory to your new computer and restore from backup. You could save the entire ATX2011 through whenever or just point the backup/restore utility to the backup folder for those prior years.

That will restore the returns and just manually update your prior year software.

Now for 2012 - Go to the following location and save the backup folder or just point the restore returns to the backup folder and restore the returns in 2012. The location on the drive is C:Docs and SettinsAll UsersApp DataCCH Small Firm Services

The NTLDR File is a boot loader. If this is corrupt. You will not be able to load the OS. This can happen for a variety of reasons.

To access the data. You can get a Hard Drive Enclosure for the type of drive. Then plug it into the USB and it will mount the drive as an external drive and access the data.

Just save the files for ATX in the Program Files Directory to your new computer and restore from backup. You could save the entire ATX2011 through whenever or just point the backup/restore utility to the backup folder for those prior years.

That will restore the returns and just manually update your prior year software.

Now for 2012 - Go to the following location and save the backup folder or just point the restore returns to the backup folder and restore the returns in 2012. The location on the drive is C:Docs and SettinsAll UsersApp DataCCH Small Firm Services

I would not recommend the restore from the backup folder in 2012. The backup folder will be, and always will be corrupt. You will lose returns. Trust me on this one.

Jack, Currently He has 0 returns. How can you lose returns when the amount is zero?

Obviously you did not have any need to restore last year. If he restores from the backup file, the data WILL be corrupt. There are other methods, but are too long an complicated to post here.

ATX2012 program is incapable of creating a backup file that is not corrupt. It was a major source of issues last year when people tried to restore after reinstalling the software.

If he gets access to the files on the old hard drive, he should call tech support for the proper method of recovering the returns in the 2012 program.

Actually Jack, I must correct you on that statement. I have used the backup and restore functionality in the software on many occasions.

I have used it to replicate the date from an old PC to a new one.

I have used it when I needed to restore a corrupted return or a return that needed a previous version to be restored.

I had a few problems with it, but those were few and far between. In the end, The issue was resolved and the data was restored.

You are right though. There is a lot more to the backup utlity.

There is a way to import returns using the returns that are backed up.

So that option is also available for him to restore his data.

Customer Support would be able to assist him in restoring the data.

Technical Support would be required if Customer Support is unable to do so.

cred65, do you have exports of the 2012 returns from the old machine that were backed up by carbonite? If you do, you could use those files to import into the 2012 program on the new computer.

Jack, would that work if he has exports?

I had installed ATX 2012 on NEW computer and the data from backups made before the OLD computer problem. I have been able to rollover the data to ATX 2013 on NEW and think I am OK. There is other data on OLD that I will need such as QB and scanned client documents that I will need.

I can go into Carbonite and see the data for both OLD and NEW but not sure what I am looking for. I had followed the advise from this board that Carbonite was not saving ATX data and I was constantly doing backups and exports to flash drives last year. I will not be sure of the status of OLD from The IT pro until Monday so I can't be sure until then. I think that I am OK with ATX 2012 & 2013 on NEW. I will post the results ASAP.

I have received my computer back from the IT professionals and they were able to recover all of my files intact as far as I can see. I am currently backing up and migrating all of the vital files to the NEW computer.

The problems were:

• found boot files were damaged and fixed them.

• fixed boot directory, cleaned up Temp, registry, and startup files.

Thanks to everyone for your help and this was a blessing.

• Like 6