ATX Community

Keyboards and cat hair

Margaret CPA in OH

There is a plethora of keyboards in my office/garage/computer work bench. No way am I spending time running a $12 item through the dishwasher!!

Well, I see your point, Jack. On the other hand, if you have multiple keyboards laying around, it makes sense to me to take a bunch of them and do one wash of them all, on the weekend, then let them dry for a week, test them, and you now have a useful backup supply, or even sell the excess on ebay. If not, why keep them at all?

Well, I see your point, Jack. On the other hand, if you have multiple keyboards laying around, it makes sense to me to take a bunch of them and do one wash of them all, on the weekend, then let them dry for a week, test them, and you now have a useful backup supply, or even sell the excess on ebay. If not, why keep them at all?

The ones laying around are still new in the packages from systems I have purchased.

I have a HP Deskjet 895cse printer, that I purchased new in the mid 90's for $59.00. I really liked it because of it's simplicity, and it printed enough tax returns and accounting material that would fill my office completely. Well....It got gummed up with ink and old age and just stopped printing, and I still had three new ink cartridges in store,,,,Dang! So I went and purchased a Brother multifunction laser printer/fax/scanner/copier $249.00.

Last summer while in my hot Sunny, over heated garage, I came across that old Hp printer. I contemplated chucking it, But....."Idea"....I blasted it inside and out with the garden hose, stuck it back in that hot garage to dry.

Today it's connected to my home computer, and is working as well as it did when I bought it. And YAY!....I gitta use up stored inky......... :spaz:

• Like 3

Don't underrate those old printers. They are generally more robust, and they often use way less ink/toner than the more modern ones. My workhorse printer is an old HP1100. It is a miser on toner, plus with the copier attachment I can make single copies while sitting at my desk.

Isn't it kind of hard to throw your laptop in the dishwasher just to clean the keyboard ^_^ My #3 button on the Keypad keeps sticking and I have to make sure every time I enter info that contains a "3" that it actually gets entered! I have used the Keyboard cleaner in a can, but not much luck. Must be the German Shepherd fur is tougher stuff.

• Like 1

Isn't it kind of hard to throw your laptop in the dishwasher just to clean the keyboard ^_^ My #3 button on the Keypad keeps sticking and I have to make sure every time I enter info that contains a "3" that it actually gets entered! I have used the Keyboard cleaner in a can, but not much luck. Must be the German Shepherd fur is tougher stuff.

Plug in a USB keyboard and keep on truckin.....

Don't underrate those old printers. They are generally more robust, and they often use way less ink/toner than the more modern ones. My workhorse printer is an old HP1100. It is a miser on toner, plus with the copier attachment I can make single copies while sitting at my desk.

Mine is a HP1200.....just keeps on printing. I just printed off three pages of business cards....last toner change 03-18-12

• Like 1

Can't do that with a laptop!!! NO, NO, NO. But, what you can do is buy a wireless keypad [which can cost as little as $10. ] and remove the whole problem, plus work faster. http://www.ebay.com/bhp/wireless-numeric-keypad

I was being facitious about putting my laptop in the Dishwasher. I am a "Gear Head" as my co-worker calls me at work. I do use a wireless mouse and keyboard at work and a wireless mouse in my home office. However, since my Laptop is a 17" I7 with a separate numeric pad, it is much easier using just the that. Especially if I am not at my desk, and using my laptop in my lap and or other location. That number "3" just wants to be sticky. Guess that is what happens when you allow your college student to use your PC to take her Calculus Exam on it. Too much Mountain Dew!

I was being facitious about putting my laptop in the Dishwasher. I am a "Gear Head" as my co-worker calls me at work. I do use a wireless mouse and keyboard at work and a wireless mouse in my home office. However, since my Laptop is a 17" I7 with a separate numeric pad, it is much easier using just the that. Especially if I am not at my desk, and using my laptop in my lap and or other location. That number "3" just wants to be sticky. Guess that is what happens when you allow your college student to use your PC to take her Calculus Exam on it. Too much Mountain Dew!

If you take that can of air, turn it upside down, hold that keypad away from you, spray the liquid down around that sticky key, it will dissolve whatever is gumming it up. It will also freeze it solid, but it will thaw out in just a little bit and no water in the works to damage it.

However, a cordless keyboard with the numeric keypad built in is still a better option.

Thanks Jack, I will try it! You always try to help and have good ideas.

btw: ATX is much better this year - Not sure if it is because my I7 proc vs I3 or Windows 7 Pro vs Windows 7 Home, 8G Ram vs 4G. I can actually open more than one return at a time. I have a complicated MFS vs MFJ and it worked like a charm.

Thanks Jack, I will try it! You always try to help and have good ideas.

btw: ATX is much better this year - Not sure if it is because my I7 proc vs I3 or Windows 7 Pro vs Windows 7 Home, 8G Ram vs 4G. I can actually open more than one return at a time. I have a complicated MFS vs MFJ and it works like a charm.

From the bottom up, the program is different and better. Your processor speed helps, but for 2013, anything over 4Gb of RAM does not affect ATX. 2014, may be different. Stand by. Film in August 2014....

If you take that can of air, turn it upside down, hold that keypad away from you, spray the liquid down around that sticky key, it will dissolve whatever is gumming it up. It will also freeze it solid, but it will thaw out in just a little bit and no water in the works to damage it.

That is a GREAT tip, Jack. Thanks for sharing that. I have two 'sticky' keys on my laptop, and I have been trying to figure out how to fix that. Will try that as soon as I get a can of Duster.