ATX Community

Rant

ILLMAS

I always encourage clients to take cell phone calls. They usually have enough sense to know whether it's important or not, and I don't think I'm smart enough to make that decision for them (even with my crystal ball). There is always something for me to double-check while they are on the phone, either some item related to their business or even if it's just to take a quick look at my email & texts. (another benefit of multiple monitors, BTW).

So their brief period of inattention doesn't threaten my ego or insult my professionalism. And we are all able keep the business/personal life ball in motion. (My idea of true multi-taksing) But it is also significant that I don't have a schedule full of appointments back-to-back like many of you do, so I can understand why delays during appointments can be problematic if your work flow is organized in that manner.

• Like 2

Dear client, please have your children use your, a or wherever bathroom prior to your arrival at my home office. Do I need to say more? I am glad we have all experienced some of the same problems. Lost a client one year when my wife got mad when she found their kid buried in the middle of her Christmas decorations located under cover on one side of the room. Go figure

I always encourage clients to take cell phone calls. They usually have enough sense to know whether it's important or not, and I don't think I'm smart enough to make that decision for them (even with my crystal ball). There is always something for me to double-check while they are on the phone, either some item related to their business or even if it's just to take a quick look at my email & texts. (another benefit of multiple monitors, BTW).

So their brief period of inattention doesn't threaten my ego or insult my professionalism. And we are all able keep the business/personal life ball in motion. (My idea of true multi-taksing) But it is also significant that I don't have a schedule full of appointments back-to-back like many of you do, so I can understand why delays during appointments can be problematic if your work flow is organized in that manner.

Yeah, my guy that aggravated me taking a call from his boss the other day didn't threaten my ego, and I did other things. But he talked to his boss for 15 minutes about a project he is behind on. He didn't go in to work that day because of the snow and taking unnecessary risks and all. But luckily, he was able to get to my office and pace around for 15 minutes talking on his cellular. He was unable to step out and sit in his car because of the danger of an icicle falling on his head en route. Then of course, he took the time to explain it all to me. I really appreciated being in the loop like that.

• Like 2

Worst 'kid event' happened to me years ago, when I was adding up a long list of receipts and a kid crawled under my desk and unplugged my computer! Grrrrrrrrrrrrr !!! Many client's kids were welcome, but there were a few clients who were not welcome to bring their kids, because they did not even try to restrain their totally out-of-control kids. And a few who got double-charged because of their kids.

Years ago when I was at Block, a family arrived with their kid and fast food. I cleared a spot on my desk for them to eat while I worked (didn't do a lot of returns with client there -- Premium office -- but a few). When they were done the kid actually asked Mom about cleaning up crumbs, but Mom told him to brush every thing on the floor just as she was doing, adding "they have a cleaning crew anyway." Well, those of you who worked for Block probably know we cleaned our own offices. By the way, she cleaned houses for a living!

One freebie I do always brings me some Avon Skin-So-Soft products, because she knows I love them.

Yeah, my guy that aggravated me taking a call from his boss the other day didn't threaten my ego, and I did other things. But he talked to his boss for 15 minutes about a project he is behind on. He didn't go in to work that day because of the snow and taking unnecessary risks and all. But luckily, he was able to get to my office and pace around for 15 minutes talking on his cellular. He was unable to step out and sit in his car because of the danger of an icicle falling on his head en route. Then of course, he took the time to explain it all to me. I really appreciated being in the loop like that.

I just look at them, while on the phone, and tell them: "I am getting paid $150 an hour whether you are on the phone or not" And then I lean back.

Rich

• Like 2

I just look at them, while on the phone, and tell them: "I am getting paid $150 an hour whether you are on the phone or not" And then I lean back.

Rich

Really? I'm serious, would you really do that? Where do you live? In Tennessee, our clients would walk, I'm pretty sure. If they didn't walk, they would for sure never recommend me to friends. I have two kids in college, their dad helps me exactly zero. I don't think that would work for me.

And, I'm certain I would break my neck if I leaned back in my chair.

• Like 2

Client brought a container of Wilbur Buds (premium chocolates) today for our gang. For the past two weeks we gave our clients personal size boxes of Sweetheart candies. Gotta love this time of year. :P

We're just not going to get hung up on the small stuff.

• Like 1

Well, yes, that's what I do. That's exactly what I do, other Rita. :)

Rita (s):

If my phone rings while I am in the office with a client. I ignore it. I have an answering machine. I tell my clients they are paying me to pay attention to THEM during this time.

I would expect the same courtesy. BTW, nobody quibbles TWICE.

If my wife calls me twice in a row, I say excuse me, and answer it, but otherwise, I am with my clients....

You can insert your billing rate in your answer....

And I have a chair that I can lean back in, and even nap, if I need too...

:)

Rich

I would expect the same courtesy .

I would expect the same courtesy .

Yes, that was the point of my first post in this thread.

You have met some actual people, right?

As my Daddy used to say, "You might as well wish in one hand and :poop: in the other and see which one fills up first."

My chair spins around. If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room. ;)

• Like 1

My phone goes to voicemail while I'm with a client. And, my front door is locked (office in home). I have a large mail slot in the front door for drop-offs without an appointment. Usually, my clients don't take calls. There was the one with a mother on a tour in India who broke her hip!

Dear Client

You know I work out of my home. You also know I do not like clients to come to my home unless absolutely necessary. You know that my husband has a business across the street that is open M-F from 9-6....and that's where people drop off and pick up from.

I do make exceptions.

Do you remember 3 years ago I let you pick up your return from my home? You came in, took your boots off...and talked to me for about half an hour. Then you realized I had work to do, so you left. Thinking you wanted to be "my friend" I invited you for lunch after the season. We even picked out the restaurant. Then, when I called you to confirm that morning you said "Oh, did we have plans? I have something else to do." You weren't even apologetic.

So, why this morning (Sunday..when I do things with DH)....did you and your husband get annoyed when I told you I was unavailable for a drop off...as i have plans all day? Should I sit home all day to accommodate you? You don't work. Please drop your papers off with my husband or learn to fax or e-mail.

• Like 2