ATX Community

Stuck with home office use (Sch A)

ILLMAS

I am having a hard time entering information for TP that is in sales and his work does not provide office space, so he uses his personal home which is a rental property. It's been close to an hour and I cannot figure this thing out, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

MAS

I am following the other thread, I entered the information on the expense allocation worksheet, I see my total expenses $25000 X 5% = 1250 is correct, but on the worksheet it appears on line 42 as a carryover for unallowed expenses for 2014, but I would like to see the worksheet as to why not.

Okay, if I am using form 2106 other expenses business expenses -> home office use - > on the expense allocation worksheet line 8, Income, there is no income besides the TP wages, that is why I am using this form. Since the program is not allocating any income, I cannot deduct the expenses :wall: does this make sense?

Okay, if I am using form 2106 other expenses business expenses -> home office use - > on the expense allocation worksheet line 8, Income, there is no income besides the TP wages, that is why I am using this form. Since the program is not allocating any income, I cannot deduct the expenses :wall: does this make sense?

Have you checked either the filer or spouse at the top of the 2106 and entered the activity name?

On the third section of the Home Office Allocation Worksheet, did you select the 2106 in the drop-down box for business activity.

Bingo, here is the problem, it doesn't select any, which ever one I pick, it stays blank. I did notice that awhile ago, I closed out of the program, reopened it, then the client. I am going to recreate the file in proseries now.

My software has a choice in the Form 8829 to designate where it will flow:

C, F, 2106 or K-1(partnership)

Never have had any problems with the flow-through. If it is a 2106, it then flows to Schedule A.

So you are not using ATX right? I prepared the same return in Proseries without a problem too, but it's not my software so I have to stick to ATX.