ATX Community

Are Posts on ATX Community Delayed?

Yardley CPA

Just wondering if the posts on this Community are delayed or posted instantly? I posted a topic over an hour ago and it is still gray with zero views. Just curious as to how posts work here.

No one reads you posts. I am just kidding. I have noticed that too. Sometimes you have 0 views and when you log on back, you have more than 50.

• Like 2

There is no delay. Generally speaking, if you can see the thread, everyone else can too.

If I were to guess, I'd say it's caused by your browser loading the page from cache/memory when you read a topic and then hit Back to return to the topic list.

Next time you notice it happening, refresh/reload the page, or navigate to the topic list by some method other than hitting back/forward in your browser.

The new posts do appear right away, but when I view a post and then go back to the main forum, even after refreshing the pages or going out of the site and coming back, the new posts still say -0- views and replies for a while afterward. Exiting and reopening browser doesn't help either.

The new posts do appear right away, but when I view a post and then go back to the main forum, even after refreshing the pages or going out of the site and coming back, the new posts still say -0- views and replies for a while afterward. Exiting and reopening browser doesn't help either.

I guess it could also be that the forum software doesn't keep a live total of views, and the number is only periodically updated for performance reasons.

The number of replies is definitely more important, and I would expect that to be updated immediately upon posting.

EDIT: Found a setting in the forum software:

Update Topic Views Immediately

If enabled, the topic views counter will be updated as one loads a topic. If not enabled, the topic views will be written to another table and the topic views updated every 6 hours. This will significantly reduce overhead on the topics table if you have a very busy board as it overcomes the write lock initiated when the topic counter is updated.

• Like 2