ATX Community

Missing First Name

Janitor Bob

OK...This has now happened on three separate occasions on three different returns. I complete the return...and check it...everything looks fine and error check looks good...I close the return. Then I go back into the return to make a change and the taxpayer's first name is gone! The problem is, of course, easily fixed...but makes me wonder why the name disappeared in these three cases...things that Make you go "hmmmm"

I don't think this is anything new with ATX because it would happen in my returns prepared with ATX at least once or twice a season. I always assumed it was something on the keyboard that I was pressing since the 1040 form opens with the cursor on the field for the taxpayer's first name, would happen on other forms too, or sometimes I'd start to type in numbers there.

If the tax program pops up while you are on a different screen, any keystroke you do will be entered in the very first field which happens to be the first name.

ATX has a propensity for popping up when you least expect it. I have had this issue often for the last few years. While I am waiting for ATX to process something, I work on another program. Then the 1040 pops up and I am suddenly typing in the tax return instead of the program I am working on. It is more prevalent since I use two monitors.

• Like 4