ATX Community

Finally somebody agrees with me

ILLMAS

Maybe it's being a smaller shop (100 clients) but most of my clients send payment after refunds. I have only missed out on payment once or twice and on a number of occasions the client paid me more (~25%) because they felt bad they missed payment. It's always a nice surprise when the last payments come rolling in to the account in May. Extendeds the "tax season" money beyond Jan - April.

I also accept CC (square-up) & hold checks on new clients that come into the home office.

I do not transmit any returns until payment is received. Solves the problem of people "forgetting."

How many other businesses allow you to pay "when I get the money" or "hold the check for x number of days."

I will bet those people have money for their "luxury" and/or "comfort" items every week. My services happen the same time every year. I don't accept the excuses.

I do not transmit any returns until payment is received. Solves the problem of people "forgetting."

What if the client signs the 8453 or 8879 but doesn't pay within 3 days? According to pub 1345, and ERO is considered to be stockpiling returns if those aren't transmitted within 3 days.

CHAPTER 3 Electronic Return Origination

Submitting the Electronic Return to the IRS

An ERO must ensure that stockpiling of returns does not occur at its offices.

Stockpiling is collecting returns from taxpayers or from another Authorized IRS

e-file Provider prior to official acceptance in IRS e-file;

or

after official acceptance to participate in IRS e-file,

stockpiling refers to waiting more than three calendar days to submit the return to the IRS once the ERO has all

necessary information for origination.

The IRS does not consider returns held prior to the date that it accepts transmission

of electronic returns stockpiled. EROs must advise taxpayers that it cannot transmit

returns to the IRS until the date the IRS accepts transmission of electronic returns.

What if the client signs the 8453 or 8879 but doesn't pay within 3 days? According to pub 1345, and ERO is considered to be stockpiling returns if those aren't transmitted within 3 days.

CHAPTER 3 Electronic Return Origination

Submitting the Electronic Return to the IRS

An ERO must ensure that stockpiling of returns does not occur at its offices.

Stockpiling is collecting returns from taxpayers or from another Authorized IRS

e-file Provider prior to official acceptance in IRS e-file;

or

after official acceptance to participate in IRS e-file,

stockpiling refers to waiting more than three calendar days to submit the return to the IRS once the ERO has all

necessary information for origination.

The IRS does not consider returns held prior to the date that it accepts transmission

of electronic returns stockpiled. EROs must advise taxpayers that it cannot transmit

returns to the IRS until the date the IRS accepts transmission of electronic returns.

You are kidding right? What reason did you have for thinking I needed this reminder? You sure do know how to ASSUME a lot of things.

No pay, no signed 8879. I can think more than 10 minutes ahead. No pay, no copies given. No pay none of my work leaves the office. How difficult is that concept to grasp?

Besides, where are the reports of the IRS enforcing this? I don't remember the incidents being reported.

With all the e-file complications the IRS has been having, I remember them relaxing this standard in 2011 and in 2012.