ATX Community

Finally somebody agrees with me

ILLMAS

Comments in this thread are really pushing me to reduce the number and time of face to face interaction I have with clients. That is my biggest problem!

Most clients will drop off their info, we discuss over the phone and get more information if required and then they just pick up. However, I do have about 20% that insist on a drop off meeting to "explain and review tax documents" and then also want an "exit meeting" to review the final return. Each meeting eats up about an hour of my time which is non-productive and could be used to work on returns.

Increase fees...

Crank...I have a single client who insists on brining me his W2 every year. That's all he has, just a W2. I always offer to accept it by email scan or fax if it saves him time but he wants an appointment. It isn't a long appointment but it still does take up time. I guess some people feel it's necessary to discuss their tax situation in person. Maybe some clients just want the peronal interaction.

I'm trying to move to more electronic, but I still have some clients that prefer the appointment. The one yesterday just doesn't trust sending her documents by e-mail or fax. Really the only problem with that meeting was that it was not on my schedule! (I remember discussing setting a March appointment...) She drove up while I was on the phone with the person I did have on my schedule, giving her directions (there's a lot of construction in our area and all the landmarks are gone.)

Perhaps when / if I move in the next couple of years, that will get more people to switch to electronic delivery. (Or switch preparers. That's OK, too - closer to retirement!)

I do not understand how some of you guys can prepare a return live while the client is sitting in front of you? Besides my schedule prohibiting this practice as I am not at my home office location during the day. I work full time in a Tax Dept for a large corporation that really pays the bills and provides HC Ins.

My husband is disabled and I have 2 daughter in College. How do you do it live? I used to have a few I would do on the weekends, but it took twice as long to prepare, with the "Chatting", "Children (Not my own)", and the interruptions. I found I made more mistakes that way and had to go over the return after they left twice (sometimes a redo), to be sure I had everything. Was not worth the small fees I was charging. I must have adult onset ADHD, but these "Live Performances" caused more stress than anything. I still go over the returns when they drop off, pick up or I email, call or email any questions, but most of my returns are Priority Mailed.

I can get a lot more work done with no one else in my office. That includes my husband who I have not yet adequately trained, but we're getting there! My clients are continuing clients. I always need a thorough initial interview with new clients, but often that comes AFTER I've reviewed their prior year returns. I still have some that insist upon live prep. But, one earlier this week -- I missed some CT w/h even after we'd discussed how much she'd lowered it and I'd highlighted it in yellow on the 1099-R and... -- so I've been on the phone with CT to see if they caught it or I need to amend and when and she'd asked for direct debit for the first time, so can we stop that in April?, etc. I don't like not sleeping on it and proofreading the next day. I can proofread all I want, but I just see the same things that are already in my mind when doing it all at once.

I do not understand how some of you guys can prepare a return live while the client is sitting in front of you? ... these "Live Performances" caused more stress than anything. I still go over the returns when they drop off, pick up...

I am with you on that.

That is one of my biggest problems I can flap my yak all day long with my clients, I need to stop that :wall:

I am also with you. Let's get coffee and flap our yaks about it.

• Like 1

Carolbeck, on 14 Mar 2014 - 12:14 PM, said:snapback.png

I am with you on that.

I am also with you. Let's get coffee and flap our yaks about it.

IF, and that is my IF, I wasn't meeting/talking with the clients, I wouldn't be doing this job. And my clients appreciate the "face time".

I don't like to be locked in the back office, processing the paper.... that is NO FUN.

Rich

• Like 1

I always enjoyed the time I spent with most of my clients, and once the practice grew to the point that our time was full, we ''fired' the ones we did not like. Sure that took a few years, but not all that long, because when you do spend a little time "yapping" with clients, often your referrals go up dramatically. At least that was my experience. And it builds a lot of loyalty when clients know YOU, rather than being just a name to them.

• Like 5

It is important to spend time with our clients, as we offer other services in addition to tax prep - bookkeeping, QuickBooks setup and training, insurance and investments, payroll, credit card processing. Spending that time is part of the relationship building, leads to referrals as KC points out, and leads to greater engagements with our clients. Many have become friends and that little 30 minutes is something we all look forward to. For us, this business is about relationships; we are not merely processing transactions. That's our approach anyway!

• Like 3

I always enjoyed the time I spent with most of my clients, and once the practice grew to the point that our time was full, we ''fired' the ones we did not like. Sure that took a few years, but not all that long, because when you do spend a little time "yapping" with clients, often your referrals go up dramatically. At least that was my experience. And it builds a lot of loyalty when clients know YOU, rather than being just a name to them.

I absolutely WILL NOT prepare a return while the client is present. They never stop talking, it is too hard to concentrate and too easy to miss something. On the other hand, I give them as much face to face time as they want. I want to know about them and they want to know about me. They come here to see me, not some gal in the back room plugging in numbers; or even my personal assistant. I know that many of you disagree with me, but this is just the way that I choose to run my business and it just grows and grows; all by word of mouth. As KC said, you learn eventually which ones to fire.

• Like 2

I don't do them while they wait. But I do like to meet with new clients especially; either in person or over the phone. I generally book an hour for interview and a half hour for pickup, although I don't often use all of it.

My best time to work on returns is late night and my clients get used to emails at 3am.

Oh, I spend 30-60 minutes with each client. Face-to-face with anyone that wants it and via telephone for those too busy or far away, lots of email too. I just don't spent five-six hours with them while preparing their returns if I can help it. I'm best late at night with some sleep and then proofreading next day. (Or those 3 a.m.emails like Joan says where I ask questions or report results.)

Had a couple of cousins (of each other, not my cousins) here for six hours this afternoon while I prepared their returns, and I have such a headache. The returns are almost identical, so the second one goes really fast after completing the first. Still, it's an intense six hours. They live far away and don't want to let their materials out of their sight. I'd prefer to see them and chat after I'm done and not while I'm prepping. But, different strokes for different folks.

I let my clients choose whether they want to drop off, e-mail, or make an appointment. Except for new clients. I insist new clients come in for an appointment so I can establish a relationship with them. Then, the following year, they can drop off or e-mail as they prefer.

I prepare returns during appointments if the return is simple enough. That way I can get the 8879 signed and my fee collected all in one sitting. If the return is more complex, I go over the information with them, ask my questions, and answer their questions. Some clients like to sit and talk. I charge them for all my time. They don't mind because they value my time and attention. Some people just need someone to listen to them. I do not mind because I charge by the hour.

I sit with my old-fashioned clients by day and e-mail with the young sophisticated ones by night. It works great. Over the years, I have built wonderful relationships with my clients. Lots of them want to hug me when they come and when they go. I have a yellow page listing but I don't otherwise advertise because I am too busy serving the new clients brought in by word of mouth.

Before I finalize a return, I always give the client a call to discuss the results and any ideas I have for additional deductions. At that time I finalize any details such as where they want their refunds deposited or where to set their quarterly payments for next year. Then I print the return, bill it, and give it to my clerical staff for processing. The client gets a call from my staff when the return is ready to sign and pick up, unless they beat us to the punch. Most clients love getting that second phone call from my staff.

I do not hand out returns. I stay back in my office when the client comes in to pick up the return. I have found that handing out returns is a big time waster, because some clients think that after their return is signed and the bill paid, is a perfect time to engage me in a half-hour-long conversation. The clients don't need me when they pick up because they already talked to me about the results of their tax return. There are no surprises. They are just as happy to chat with my staff about whose uncle is related to whose sister, etc, at that point.

We also give them candy. I keep the candy bowl on the reception counter filled at all times.

• Like 3

A new client that came abroad this year, I asked her is she could request some information from her prior accountant, and she said I rather you call him because I am afraid of him because of how he talks to people, my jaw dropped.

i was wondering who took Mrs. Jones from me, good luck with her.

• Like 1

I am a one man shop and efile returns after receiving the signed 8879 forms. Once the returns are accepted, I prepare a packet of information including a copy of the individual returns, client letter, summary and comparison and mail everything to the client along with my invoice included. I also place a self-addressed stamped envelope in the packet for them to send payment back to me. Much like MichaelMars, I've only been burnt once in 20 years. It's worked well for me.

Yardly, I hate to put it this way, but if that is really you in your picture, I'd pay you too!!!!!! I wouldn't want you to send your guys to my house to collect your money for sure! :o

• Like 1

I absolutely WILL NOT prepare a return while the client is present. They never stop talking, it is too hard to concentrate and too easy to miss something. On the other hand, I give them as much face to face time as they want. I want to know about them and they want to know about me. They come here to see me, not some gal in the back room plugging in numbers; or even my personal assistant. I know that many of you disagree with me, but this is just the way that I choose to run my business and it just grows and grows; all by word of mouth. As KC said, you learn eventually which ones to fire.

I totally agree! I have face time with most of my clients, but preparing the return live with them there is not worth the aggravation or the stress. I have clients I have been doing their returns since 1984 (Sorry to show my age). I have many referrals and because of my full time position elsewhere, I really am not able to take on any additional complex returns. I also do the bookkeeping for a few clients, stopped payroll because the time involved to prepare the weekly payroll, quarterly and annual reports was not worth the stress either. Then of course ADP can do it for a lot less. I love doing taxes, but the "Live Performance" not so much!!!

• Like 4

I do not understand how some of you guys can prepare a return live while the client is sitting in front of you? Besides my schedule prohibiting this practice as I am not at my home office location during the day. I work full time in a Tax Dept for a large corporation that really pays the bills and provides HC Ins.

My husband is disabled and I have 2 daughter in College. How do you do it live? I used to have a few I would do on the weekends, but it took twice as long to prepare, with the "Chatting", "Children (Not my own)", and the interruptions. I found I made more mistakes that way and had to go over the return after they left twice (sometimes a redo), to be sure I had everything. Was not worth the small fees I was charging. I must have adult onset ADHD, but these "Live Performances" caused more stress than anything. I still go over the returns when they drop off, pick up or I email, call or email any questions, but most of my returns are Priority Mailed.

I have always done it this way. It works for me. I have an issue with going back and redoing work, so I like to get the return done in one sitting. Most of my clients have learned to bring me everything they need. The first year is a learning experience for them. Complete interview, every line on the return gone over and explained. Future issues addressed. Why you don't take a deduction for 5K of donations when you get 12,200 in std deduction. We go over everything that first year.

Every year after that is money in the bank. They know to call me during the year for big items, they know what to bring to their appointment, and we get it all done in one shot. No trying to remember what we went over. Besides, the client does not want to come in more than once as well. We are both motivated to do it all in one shot and get on with life.

That being said, I have noticed that I used to schedule 1 hour for most clients and it would take me 45 minutes for a returning client. I am now taking about 55 minutes to complete, and there is very little room for scheduling errors. All the damn foreign bank account questions, questions about the quality of the $600 in donations to goodwill, etc, etc.

Tom

Hollister, CA

With the number of hours my returns take, I'd have to feed my clients!

In fact, I have one coming Tuesday who DOES want it done by the time she leaves, so she's bringing us lunch. A few years back when she had an HSA for the first time, I made an error on that form. Luckily, it did not change her tax, but it was embarrassing when she called me to say she found an error. It might not have happened if I could've slept on it and proofread the next day. But, she still wants it done while she waits. One of my last holdouts.

• Like 1

Yes, it's 3:20 a.m. and I just packaged a return for mailing after uploading to FileShare on my web site to await their signatures for efiling. They're up with a newborn anyway, so I guess we could've all been here together -- but I would've had to put real clothes on! When I'm not expecting clients, I work in my flannel jammies and fuzzy slippers. That's a visual you don't need, either. Sorry.

• Like 3