ATX Community

K1 never seen this

ljwalters

Not necessarily. I have one of those this year, too -- and the codes given on the "statement" page do NOT coincide with the codes listed for K-1's in The Tax Book or anywhere else. Some of the codes the statement gives don't even exist! I had to look at the descriptions given and do my best to puzzle it out.

Catherine

@joanmcq - If you think you've had fun dealing with the PCPs each year, just wait until you deal with the 2013 sale. (I did several last year when client finally sold all of them.) Oh, the states that cropped up that hadn't been an issue in prior years. Losses for each year that had business and / or capital gains from the sales.

Thank you, Lion! I just ran into another one last night; two partnerships with items on the K-1 several of whose codes do NOT exist in the official IRS code listings.

20-Z -- who ever heard of 20-Z? Not just that, but 20-Z1, 20-Z2, up to 20-Z17. Yes, 17. Plus several more similar in 13, and 17; code letters that don't exist, with multiple entries each. Ack!

I hate PTPs. I have yet to start my PTP investors' returns. I did lose one this year with lots and lots of them, and even though it was an expensive return for many reasons, I'm not so sorry to see him go. Plus, he's a lawyer. At this point, I'm still keeping his mother's return and one of his daughter's. But, even if I end up losing the whole family next year, it'll free up so much time for new clients without his dozens of late-arriving K-1s with mystery data.

Agreed. And you spend so much time researching mystery codes only to find out they really don't apply to your client anyway. Then when you see a specific mystery code the next year, you have to research again because you don't remember why it didn't apply last year! Aggravating.

Make the client give you the statement. I have a client that had an oil/gas PTP, and it was a nightmare with all of the crap on the statement. Thank god she sold it in 2013 so I only have to deal with it one more time.

I have one of those and to add to the nightmare it has with holdings in several states :dunno:

I'm now getting in k1s for a deceased client whose fiancée is attempting to get the final return done. The second PTP so far, but since they seem to have been bought in 2013 & then liquidated the same year, there doesn't seem to be much on them. I pray for basis statements though.

Were they liquidated before or after death? If after, you'll need 2 separate K1s to allocate each box to before and after DOD. Client made one phone call to PTP and got revised K1s e-mailed very quickly (same day?). PTPs include basis info in their paperwork. Make sure client asks them to use the stepped-up basis on the 2nd K1 (after DOD).