ATX Community

NT Who milks cows? Who lives in a Farm with horses?

Pacun

When I was growing up, we always milked one cow for us, raised and sold beef cattle. Raised pigs, too. Had racking horses we rode for fun and sometimes herding cattle.

I have beef cattle still, no horses, or pigs. My sister has seven horses.

The cutest thing in the world is watching a cow trying to herd her own baby calf that is running all over the field. Saw it this morning.

• Like 1

In some countries they still corn and grass feed cows, in the U.S. now they have organic fed cows, which tends to be more expensive to maintain therefore the milk and meat cost more. My grandfather had cows, and he will tell us, you see that calf, that calf is yours and the next year we would visit his ranch and ask where is my cow, he would tell us, oh your calf drowned or it died of a snake bite.

• Like 1

Wow! That's my alma mater. Oldest land grant university. But, I wasn't around the barns much, maybe visiting the animals in the vet center (they had an elephant one time from a traveling circus). I majored in the physical sciences: physics, chemistry, math, astronomy, and minors from the engineering school, such as electronics, computer science, etc. I want one of those automatic cow scratchers right now to scratch my back.