ATX Community

MA Preparers??

MAMalody

I have just completed a MA return on ATX and when running the check it says "MA DOR requires the nine digit Paid Preparer EIN when PTIN used." It was not this way last year. I am a dba with no employees and not required to have an EIN. Does this mean that client will have to paper file the MA rtn?

I have not seen this one before -- but then, even as a sole prop with no employees, I have had an EIN for years. Sorry! If your client does have to mail in, make sure you check the little box on Page 1 to paper file; it changes the bar coding (to I have no idea what, but the MassDOR computers read those bar codes, not the forms). And have your client sign -- and you keep -- the EFO (efile opt-out for MA).

Wouldn't he have to associate the EIN with his ERO # for e-filing though since the EIN will replace his SSN on the returns that are being filed? It's been too long ago that I can't remember a place on the ERO application if a person goes from having only a SSN to then obtaining an EIN. I've always been a corporation, so I started out with an EIN from the beginning.

Wouldn't he have to associate the EIN with his ERO # for e-filing though since the EIN will replace his SSN on the returns that are being filed? It's been too long ago that I can't remember a place on the ERO application if a person goes from having only a SSN to then obtaining an EIN. I've always been a corporation, so I started out with an EIN from the beginning.

I am sure i will have to update my file,however, if my memories serves me correctly. the PTIN replaced the SSN a couple of years ago on the tax returns.

Why not do it directly on the IRS site though? Click the link "Apply Online Now" on the bottom of this page at the IRS: http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Apply-for-an-Employer-Identification-Number-%28EIN%29-Online

So that reading the IRS page would not be necessary.