ATX Community

Why do we do this?

jasdlm

Client came to pick up return. W2 income only. No deductions. Had substantially more income than last year but had less withholding. Is not getting the same refund as last year (really?).

Will take return for a second opinion.

I spent 20 minutes I didn't have explaining.

I feel like I am either going to cry or scream. This is ridiculous.

• Like 4

I generally explain that it's a formula. Then I show them. THE TAX. Next I explain that you pay it sooner or later...and point out the withholding . Tax Act has a beautiful prior year comparison chart.

If they are too dense...I tell them go somewhere else...and if that person gets them a better result...based on the same information, I'll refund the fee. So far...never had to give a refund.

I feel like I am either going to cry or scream. This is ridiculous.

Sick lady, very complicated return, caregiver has wasted so much of my time, "handling" the taxes, took the trouble to write down every medical expense, every donation (there are hundreds), didn't add anything together. I ask her on one of her visits where I find out everything I never needed to know: "Did she make any estimated tax payments?"

Caregiver: "No." Then more yakking.

She and sick lady pick up yesterday. Caregiver: "You know, I meant to ask you why she was writing checks to United States Treasury. I didn't really know what to do with those."

I almost told her what to do with them.

• Like 6

husband and wife only have w-2s. kids left last year. Told them in 2012 that next year - 2013 - they would lose kids and credits and would need to visit HR to up withholdings. In 2013 they owed $2500 and had fits. took money out of IRA - of course - to pay tax. Told them again - go to HR. Printed a W-4 for them. Get withholding changed.........yep........in 2014 they owed $4500. Withholdings went down....... They are letting everyone know that next year they are going somewhere else.

good....

:pop: :pop::pop::pop::pop::pop::pop::pop:

• Like 7

I really feel like I am losing it. Most recent phone call:

"I am doing my own return in _________ software, but I need you to tell me where to enter 'X' and 'Y'."

Seriously. As someone else said in an earlier post, 'you can't make this stuff up'.

• Like 3

Amish couple shows up at my door today.

He has two 1099-MISC and some stockyards tickets for the sale of livestock and a 4029 SE exemption.

Wants to know how much he and his wife can make before they have to PAY. I ask him if they have children (duh?) and he says 3 but none of them have SSN's.

I tell him he should go to the local SSA office and apply for SSN's for his children and we can file the return showing SSN's have been applied for.

He says he needs a copy of his tax return right away to take to the bank so he can borrow money so just do the return without the dependents.

Federal return -0- due but owes state $200 (which I tell him would also be -0- if he were claiming the kids)

Then asks if I can just forget the livestock sales. Uh, NO!

Elected to pay the state tax so he could take his copy and run to the bank.

ARRRGHHH!!

• Like 2

I really feel like I am losing it. Most recent phone call:

"I am doing my own return in _________ software, but I need you to tell me where to enter 'X' and 'Y'."

Seriously. As someone else said in an earlier post, 'you can't make this stuff up'.

I purposely give "very vague" answers leaning toward just barely correct...

• Like 1