ATX Community

Tax Return Folders

Yardley CPA

I am in the market to purchase new tax return folders. My current folders were purchased through Tenenz and they have generally offered me good service and quality. I have to call them to see if they offer fodlers with expandable pockets. Seems like the copies I am providing to clients are increased in size ;). Was hoping for input on where you purchase your folders?

we go to:

http://www.minespress.com/tax-folders

We order varieties of folders from them. Some with the current tax year, others generic for different purposes. Reasonable prices. Nice selection.

Also, we go to a local printer who designed a large 12" x 13" envelope that we use to return the folder and all client materials. We save a lot of money going local for those.

• Like 1

I always use Tenenz. Usually order when they have the early bird discount, but due to the flow of business, this year had to order extra mid season. They always arrive the next day. They will send you a catalog and free samples of any product that you want to see before purchasing.

• Like 4

I use the back-to-school specials at Staples to get a different color each year of the two-pocket portfolios for as little as a penny each. Then I pick up their store-brand vinyl folders in the same/similar color for my fat returns as well as some slicker paper folders that also hold more than the cheapest. I buy metallic ovals with the year embossed on them from M&C Mostad & Christensen for the front cover and tuck a business card into the pre-slit space on the inside pocket. I like a different color for each year (someone on this board, Catherine?, recommended that years ago) for times on the telephone when I need to tell the client to look for his green folder, for instance. I've gotten compliments on my "packaging" from clients. I'll spend more money on software and courses, but I do skimp on office supplies, furniture, etc.

Returns are getting fatter over the years, so many don't fit in the cheapest folders. But, more clients are sending me their documents electronically, so I have fewer documents to return to the client/fit in the folder. Usually I put client documents in the left pocket and return in the right (anything they have to deal with and not file, such as ES vouchers, stays outside the folder), but a few this year with no documents to return got their state returns in the left pocket and federal in the right so it still all fit in the cheaper folder.

Sometimes I have paperclips and such in the same color for clipping the payment vouchers to envelopes, etc.

I put a fold over year sticker on the spine of every folder. These are a different color every year. This year was a glittery red with a silver 13. I stole that idea from the dental profession; for which I worked part time for over 20 years. Many positive comments from new clients this year on the presentation folders.

My returns have gotten thinner every year as I print fewer and fewer pages. I rarely print more than 10 pages unless they need estimated vouchers.

Rarely do I get a complaint as most clients never look at the return. I give them a CD that has all the returns and records I have for them. I get the CDs from Tenenz for about a buck preprinted. They look nice. They have several styles:

http://www.tenenz.com/index.php?view=search_results&search=39&search_method=CAT

The CDs save me toner, paper and printer wear and tear, but the clients love them for printing copies of their returns or taking to the bank. I've had bankers compliment me on them and say they wished all the tax preparers did this.

Edit: I have a good number of clients that are happy with just the CD. I knock off $10 if they forgo the paper copy and folder.

My returns have gotten thinner every year as I print fewer and fewer pages. I rarely print more than 10 pages unless they need estimated vouchers.

Rarely do I get a complaint as most clients never look at the return. I give them a CD that has all the returns and records I have for them. I get the CDs from Tenenz for about a buck preprinted. They look nice. They have several styles:

http://www.tenenz.com/index.php?view=search_results&search=39&search_method=CAT

The CDs save me toner, paper and printer wear and tear, but the clients love them for printing copies of their returns or taking to the bank. I've had bankers compliment me on them and say they wished all the tax preparers did this.

Edit: I have a good number of clients that are happy with just the CD. I knock off $10 if they forgo the paper copy and folder.

an associate of mine charges extra for paper, not a discount for CD.

I use NIcky's folders.

I like the CD option but I do like the professional look of the folder. I use the folders from Tennez with the business card slits in them. I have used CD's when the returns are huge and I know the client will eventually need some portion reprinted and I can direct them to the return. Example: One of mine this year was in excess of a hundred pages consisting of numerous Sch E and C's. Client called the other day and wanted expenses from a particular property. Directed him to the CD and appropriate schedule. Naturally, this return would not fit in the folder or any other folder that I would use. Hole punch the top with a binder type fastener and an envelope. All is well.