ATX Community

NT: Useful Trivia of the Day

Catherine

A friend of mine degloved his ring finger getting down from his tree stand this past hunting season.

I've got pics if anyone wants to see them!

(they cut the ring off, but luckily he was able to keep his finger, although just barely.)

• Like 2

Thirty years as an auto technician. I NEVER wore my ring at work. When in tech school, we saw a film clip about "degloving" of fingers and worse. Didn't take much to convince me never to do mechanical work with my ring on!!

My best friend's dad was an auto mechanic who also never wore his ring at work, because (as he said) "I like my fingers!" He did take it out for special occasions.

• Like 1

My best friend's dad was an auto mechanic who also never wore his ring at work, because (as he said) "I like my fingers!" He did take it out for special occasions.

My dad was an auto mechanic most of his life. I never saw him wear a ring. Most factory workers are not allowed to wear rings to work. Is that only in WI? My husband outgrew his ring from not wearing it so I had it made smaller for me. He got a new one for our 50th and wears that on special occasions. He is in the car business and also uses a chain saw a lot.

I think that method may only work for minor swelling. A couple of years ago my husband crushed his finger when changing the hitch plate on our 5th wheel. Aside from the excessive pain of wrapping the elastic band tightly around his finger, I don't think you could put it on tight enough to get the ring off. Yes they had to cut it off (the ring, not the finger). The finger healed & the ring got repaired. I'm not sure why he didn't remove the ring while he was working on the 5th wheel. He never wore it while working as a body shop mechanic.

When I served in the Air Force working on radar systems with high voltage and climbing up and down aircraft ladders, one could get into serious trouble for wearing any type of jewelry on the flight line.

We joked that the main purpose was to protect the jet engines from ingesting foreign objects such as rings, watches, caps, fingers, etc, but the rules really were in place to protect us as well.

• Like 1