ATX Community

NT - Tablet Usefulness

pikester1967

I still like paper.  I read real books.  I highlight and write margin notes in my texts and reference books.  I read cheap paperback books on vacation or at the beach or anyplace my Nook or an iPad might get ruined or lost.  If I finish a book or magazine, I leave it behind if there's a place someone would pick it up and read it, like a waiting room.  If it's a subscription, I tear off my name and address.  I consider where to take electronics, the risk/reward of having them lost or stolen or soaked or overheated in the sun vs. the need to receive a phone call from a client in the midst of an issue, for instance.  I can pack lighter with a Nook on a long trip than a bunch of books.  And, sometimes I just have to have my laptop, that monthly spreadsheet is due while I'm gone.  But, I do try to consider what media is necessary &/or more convenient.

• Like 2

I use my phone/tablet a lot, because it would be a huge pain to drag my laptop everywhere and it can't take decent pictures. I have been to 4 doctor appointments with my mom in the last week and it's so much easier to take a picture of doctor orders, her new doctor referral, etc and then drag it into Evernote/and her folder, which then syncs to my tablet and laptop. I know that I could be much more efficient if I took some classes at the local community college. Any technical skills that I have are totally self taught as they were still teaching typing when I went to high school. Today I was doing group texts to my siblings giving them the updates and the new appointments that are coming up.My phone is password protected and running three different anti-virus and malware programs. It will mostly self destruct if I lose it.

• Like 2

I still like paper.  I read real books.  I highlight and write margin notes in my texts and reference books.  I read cheap paperback books on vacation or at the beach or anyplace my Nook or an iPad might get ruined or lost.  If I finish a book or magazine, I leave it behind if there's a place someone would pick it up and read it, like a waiting room. 

I used to do all those, myself.  Now, I use my Nook for almost all my reading, for 2 reasons.  1]  My eyes are not what they used to be, so being able to enlarge the fonts is a huge advantage to me.  2]  I'm a VERY fast reader, and always carried a book in my purse, but often used to be frustrated when I finished it while out somewhere.  I've left many a paperback behind for someone to discover, but the problem is 'what to read now?'   With my nook, I have always got the next book or magazine right there.  Plus, the subscriptions are cheaper,  for the nook version!  I have over 800 books, and 25 apps, so I'm never just sitting wishing I had something to read.  

• Like 1

I was visiting my son and finished a book on my Nook.  Had lots and lots of books on my Nook, but I'd just learned that the same author had a second book out.  I immediately downloaded it and was a very happy camper.  The nearest bookstore or even library of any size was a ninety-minute drive to Scranton.  Hubby saw the receipt show up and called me to say I must've liked that author.  (With Nook, it's a family plan, so both of us and our daughter who has my old Nook can read anything that any of us downloads.)

• Like 3

Not aware of any family plans, but you can make a limited number of e book loans.

Also, they just released a so called unlimited plan for about $10 per month with a number of restrictions:

1. Can only keep 10 books at a time

2. If you want an 11th  book, you have to delete one of your old books.

3. Some publishers and some bestsellers not included with the plan.