ATX Community

WAGE ? - calculating time

WITAXLADY

I agree, I do payroll processing and for all my clients use decimals.

This should be 8.88 Hours. Not aware of any cite.

Plus in your example you have reduced their time by 8 minutes.

If you were rounding, you would have round up to 9 Hours.

Use the KISS method my friend:

You round to the closest multiple of 15:

x:00
x:15
x:30
x:45

Since 15/2 = 7.5 minutes (or seven minutes, 30 seconds), anything within 7.5 minutes of the quarter hour gets rounded to that quarter hour.

So,

4:37:29 (4:37 and 29 seconds) would get rounded to 4:30
4:37:31 (4:37 and 31 seconds) would get rounded to 4:45

What about 4:37:30 EXACTLY? in the real world, the "doubt" goes to the employee, so it would be rounded to 4:45 on the time card. In math, it would be rounded down to 4:30 (for the same reason 4.500000000... would be rounded down to 4 instead of up to 5 - there is a reason, but it involves limit theorem, which you don't need to worry about at this time)

Personally, I'd just round to 9, why turn a good employee into an unhappy employee over a few minutes?   I'd rather raise an issue of her leaving early, if that's a regular occurrence.    

I agree with not making an issue over the few minutes too.  We don't know that this employee left early though.

I was wondering more about this employee not taking a lunch break, or if the OP is just giving a generalized simple example to get an answer to her question.

I created an excel program to calculate pay. Enter hours and minutes, then the program converts the minutes to percentage of an hour; e.g. 15 seconds = 25%.  Any hours in excess of 40 is entered under overtime hours and minutes with minutes converted to decimal.  Regular and overtime pay are calculated by the program and added to get total gross pay.  The program also calculates SS and MCare to be withheld.  Income tax is entered manually, then the program calculates gross pay, withholding and net pay for each employee and calculates the total for all employees for that pay period.

I keep yelling at my interns [our only hourly people] that I don't want to see 4:55 or 9:10, on their time sheets, Just go to the nearest 15 minutes or 1/2 hour...I never question time and if I did I bet most don't take the hour lunch or 2 breaks they are entitled to in NY.  As KC said even if they get an extra 1/2 pay a day, its very insignificant to most businesses and I wouldn't want someone not to finish a return because the clock stuck 5, being generous with employees makes them better employees.

• Like 3