ATX Community

Non reported Income by tax preparers

justmenmom

Marilyn, you've been here since day 1, how could you not know that's Atticus's member name?  You do make a good case for the need for an agreed on 'sarcastic' font.  I've nominated the  "Comic sans MS" for that, but t's been ignored so far.  

Sorry, KC, I just did not know.  I guess I don't pay attention to the names of posters unless they identify themselves.  In any case, yes, sarcasm should be identified as such.  In our busy lives, we don't always think things through before we reply or post.

Some clients cheat, but I've never had a client ask, "How can I cheat on my taxes?"

Some of them do some pretty dumb things that may or may not be an attempt to cheat-- like selling a lot of stock and omitting it although the IRS gets 1099-Bs.

In one such case, the client said they omitted it because there was no profit on the sale.

NOT YOU, MARILYN!  I was referring to Jack's comment.

Likewise, this website is public and comments like I complained about could be construed as actual options or instructions.

Yes, it's public, and yes, non-professionals do browse here, but if they try to actually RELY ON a statement they see here, that has no cite, no reference to look up, etc, they ARE 'silly'.   Jack's just trying to be more protective of them than I think they deserve.  He's just nicer than me, I guess.  I love him anyway.  You too.  So don't take it wrong, please.

• Like 1

Heres a link that talks about this:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyphillipserb/2014/08/13/think-before-you-post-the-dangers-of-seeking-tax-advice-on-the-internet/

And a short Blurb from the article:

Over the weekend, I posted a quick tweet:

Free tax advice: Don’t post your “How can I avoid reporting income so I don’t pay taxes on it?” question on a public forum. You’re welcome.

That was it. I didn’t post any further details. Sometimes, it’s tough to tell a story in 140 characters. But maybe I should have.

And @JnBrymn8 said as much, tweeting back:

@taxgirl Tweets like these are usually associated with humorous links. … jus’sayin’
:D

I thought about linking to the post that inspired the tweet and ultimately decided against it. I had stumbled across the post while browsing in a support forum for a third party merchant account at the office. I was trying to figure out how to increase my withdrawal limits on my account. I didn’t figure out that answer but my eyes were opened pretty quickly to the kinds of things people will post about their finances on a public forum.

On a lark, I decided to see how many folks posted similar questions. It turns out, quite a lot. A quick Google GOOGL -0.13% into online sales forums turned up questions like these:

• How can I avoid Paypal reporting me to the IRS?
  • I know there are some big sellers on here. I’m wondering how(if) you are avoiding the “$20,000 and we report you to the IRS”?
  • With Paypal, what are you doing to avoid or get out of paying the taxes?
  • How can I avoid paying tax on eBay EBAY +0.04% sales?

It also dug up laments like this:

• I didn’t pass 20k in sales, and they emailed me that my 1099k is ready and it’s also been reported to the IRS.

And of course, rants like this:

• I am already FEE’D to death on ebay and paypal I will be damned if I give any more hard earned money away to people who do not deserve it more than me, sorry but paying rent and eating come first for me not lining the pockets of some scumbag sitting at an office desk doing nothing making over a million year, understand?

I was pretty shocked at how much information folks were willing to share on the internet about their tax evasion questions, strategies and justifications. Sometimes, these folks are regular forum posters who happily share their location and other identifying information while others clearly try to remain somewhat anonymous. Some are careful to couch their queries with openings like “I know you have to pay your taxes but…” while others offer advice like “do what I did and use your husband’s Social Security Number to open an account to stay under the $20,000 cap” – all complete with their user names and in some instances, seller website.

Same thing.  Folks posting how they cheat on the web....

Gonna get bit one day from that.

Rich

• Like 3