ATX Community

I'm Avoiding Most Political Items, But This is Exceptional

kcjenkins

Justice Department Admits that the Federal Government Has ALL of Lois Lerner’s Emails

Judicial Watch just dropped a bombshell in the IRS targeting investigation.

Department of Justice attorneys for the Internal Revenue Service told Judicial Watch on Friday that Lois Lerner’s emails, indeed all government computer records, are backed up by the federal government in case of a government-wide catastrophe.  The Obama administration attorneys said that this back-up system would be too onerous to search.  The DOJ attorneys also acknowledged that the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration (TIGTA) is investigating this back-up system.

We obviously disagree that disclosing the emails as required would be onerous, and plan to raise this new development with Judge Sullivan.

This is a jaw-dropping revelation.  The Obama administration had been lying to the American people about Lois Lerner’s missing emails. There are no “missing” Lois Lerner emails – nor missing emails of any of the other top IRS or other government officials whose emails seem to be disappearing at increasingly alarming rate. All the focus on missing hard drives has been a diversion. The Obama administration has known all along where the email records could be – but dishonestly withheld this information. You can bet we are going to ask the court for immediate assistance in cutting through this massive obstruction of justice.

“Jaw-dropping” is right.

The IRS has been telling a tale about the emails not only of Lois Lerner but also several other key IRS targeting scandal figures. That tale has been coming from no less than the current director of the IRS.  In disclosing that Lerner’s (and others’) emails still exist, the DOJ also said, essentially, that it thinks searching for those emails would be too much work.

Would that excuse fly with the DOJ or the IRS, or would they frog-march anyone who used that excuse straight to a squad car?  And while that "too onerous to search" argument might work against Judicial Watch, it shouldn't work against Congress!

• Like 4

Well it's more than a political topic - we all deal with the agency on a daily basis. To see it used as a weapon against the citizens it is supposed to serve (as alleged, and as stinks to high heavens) affects all of us, and our clients.  Thanks for sharing this.

(And anyone who knows software or standard procedure knew these systems were being backed up multiple times, and the excuse was just that - an excuse - and a lame one at that.)

• Like 3

I wondered how long it would take you to violate the new political terms of engagement. 

you resisted longer than I thought you were able/capable...what? 11 days of self restraint...LOL!!!

assign yourself a mickey mouse point of board violation.

I will feel better when you ABSOLUTLEY quit posting critical, passive/aggressive threads about liberal/progressive (POLITICAL) positions on chat..

LOL!!!! 

I am not interested in your "off topic" (non tax/political) comments. 

Unfortunately, in our business, we must keep up with the goings on at the IRS and any pertinent political motivation behind any tax based subterfuge. We cannot separate politics from the IRS because the IRS is politics. How do politicians get more votes? They make tax changes that the IRS must enforce. How do politicians raise more money for themselves? They give sweet tax breaks to their friends. Legally done by voting tax changes and loopholes into law. A problem exists if the IRS is no longer administering tax law, but is impeding the administration of tax law. By whose authority did this happen? Was it a rogue individual? Or part of a bigger issue. I don't know the answer, but I would like to be given all the facts.

• Like 5

I think any comments about IRS shortcomings is appropriate whether the administration is conservative or liberal.  For example, if an IRS official is found to be cheating on his own taxes, I think comments on this forum about it might be construed as political somewhat, but nevertheless appropriate for a tax forum.

• Like 4

Just to be clear, the new Off Topic board is totally non-political.

And for further clarification, the general chat says "Discuss taxes, software, anything you want besides politics."

I think by now all here know that the IRS and taxes are political pawns, and the article does nothing to enhance our knowledge that will help us with the business we conduct with this agency. It was purely a political piece. 

Sorry, Judy, but I do think this article does enhance our knowledge of how the IRS has changed, and whether we can trust what they tell us.  It's a vastly different agency from what they were like when I started tax work.  I really do think we need to be active in working to add our voices to efforts to restore the agency to the honesty and integrity it used to have.  "We" being "tax professionals".

The number of times that have been documented in which perjury has been committed, a crime, in the IRS  investigation is too long to list.  We now find out that in the IRS targeting investigation not only is there a backup of Lerner's computer but IRS lawyers admitted to the intentional destruction of the data on her BlackBerry after the investigation began.  For you or I that would immediately result in an obstruction of justice felony charge leveled against everyone involved - including Lerner herself.  Well, where is it?

I can remember the day when the IRS could answer some very difficult questions.  Once I called and asked how to write off an investment in a worthless oil well.  The person who answered the phone explained exactly how to do it.  My client thought I was a genius when I took care of the write-off on his tax return.

• Like 3

I can remember the day when the IRS could answer some very difficult questions.  Once I called and asked how to write off an investment in a worthless oil well.  The person who answered the phone explained exactly how to do it.  My client thought I was a genius when I took care of the write-off on his tax return.

It really was like that, once upon a time, long, long ago. Sic transit gloria fisci.

• Like 1

It was back before some of you were born--around 1958.

I was around for the last quarter (roughly) of that year.

So here is a giggle for y'all:  less than two months before my 56th birthday I got carded!  Was buying a bottle of wine at a new-to-me grocery store, in company with Gwen (the younger daughter).  Cashier asks for my ID.  I asked if she was serious and she said yes.  Gwen & I both busted out laughing, I handed my license over, and the response was, "I don't believe that year."  But she let me buy the wine...  

• Like 6

I am not interested in your "off topic" (non tax/political) comments.

kcjenkins, on 26 Aug 2014 - 12:42 PM, said:

Just to be clear, the new Off Topic board is totally non-political.

that is true...off topic is non political and chat is also non political.

in other words, there is no outlet for political posts...sorry, charlie.

you indicted yourself with the name of this thread...

"I'm Avoiding Most Political Items, But This is Exceptional"

i think off topic could be amended to allow for political posts.

i do not mind a political discussion as long as the rules of engagement  are understood...

basically, a two way street of argument.

my problem with your prior political posts was that it was your one way street.

it was your street, your way, and subject to your arbitrary control and censorship.

i did not like it.   

I was around for the last quarter (roughly) of that year.

So here is a giggle for y'all:  less than two months before my 56th birthday I got carded!  Was buying a bottle of wine at a new-to-me grocery store, in company with Gwen (the younger daughter).  Cashier asks for my ID.  I asked if she was serious and she said yes.  Gwen & I both busted out laughing, I handed my license over, and the response was, "I don't believe that year."  But she let me buy the wine...

I think I like the clerk's response. I assume she meant, ''You don't look that old" rather than "I don't think anyone born in that year could still be alive."

• Like 3

my problem with your prior political posts was that it was your one way street.

it was your street, your way, and subject to your arbitrary control and censorship.

i did not like it.   

Sorry you did not like it, but I do not accept your characterization that I ever censored anyone's posts.  I got plenty of feedback that disagreed with me, and never objected unless the post was abusive.  Judy, who is also a mod here, often disagrees with me on politics, but we remain friends because we both value and respect each other.

• Like 2