ATX Community

State of NY extension for S-Corp

Jack from Ohio

Does the State of NY honor Federal extension for S-Corps or is there a requirement for a specific extension form?

There is a NY extension: NY CT-5.4.  There is also a minimum payment due with the extension based on NY receipts.  If you don't make this payment with the extension, the extension is considered invalid and penalties are assessed as if you never filed an extension.

• Like 1

A separate form has to be filed and franchise fee paid by Apr 15.

http://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/current_forms/ct/ct5_4i.pdf

"You must file Form CT-5.4 and pay the properly estimated franchise tax on or before the original due date of the tax return for which this extension is requested."

S-Corp returns are due March 15, not April 15.

• Like 1

There is a NY extension: NY CT-5.4.  There is also a minimum payment due with the extension based on NY receipts.  If you don't make this payment with the extension, the extension is considered invalid and penalties are assessed as if you never filed an extension.

I used to question why I continue to live in Ohio due to all the crazy taxation that takes place here.  But, the more I get involved with NY tax returns and all the associated unbelievable number and size of the taxes there, I count my blessings.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...