ATX Community

ACA Prep Fees

ILLMAS

For my practice in a small rural town, minimum of $25 additional (check the box only) to a max of $100 additional if through the marketplace or no insurance.

I will have a separate line with this additional amount.  It will be designated:  Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act surcharge.

I am considering including the phone numbers for our Representative and both Senators in the line below it.

• Like 3

I charge by the form as well. I have added amounts to each of the specific forms. For the simply check the box there isn't a charge. I find it hard to justify a feel for the due diligence because there isn't any specific guidance on this. I do charge a fee for due diligence for the EIC which is completing the 8867. This year is a learning year so my fees may go up accordingly. I work out of my home with very little overhead so it is easier for me to keep the fees down.

Revisit this on Feb. 28 and let us know.

Jack,

I hear what you are saying, but I also know my client base.  I could go out with a very high charge and blame it on the POTUS, but that is still taking money out of my client's pocket.  A lot of my clients are simple returns, and they are used to paying a certain amount.  An extra $100 for 15 minutes of interview and form entry is too much.  And remember, some of those forms are going to be required multiple times on the return. 

You may still be right, and I may be giving away my expertise at a low price, but I have to run my practice for the long haul.

Tom

Newark, CA

• Like 2

I just did a return for a lady who had no insurance but was under the filing threshold.  She has been my client for ten years.  I didn't charge her anything to check that box on Form 8965.  I feel fine with that.  It's best for me to play it by ear.  Just like I don't have a set fee for Schedule C.  It's all relative. 

Now, when somebody comes in here with a new $40,000 pickup and gets $5,000 EIC I feel fine changing it up.

• Like 3