ATX Community

Line 61

Janitor Bob

We made a mistake today on it. One of our new preparers didn't click some checkbox and line 61 didn't populate. Our reviewer also missed it, so she e-filed it. Less than 30 minutes later we noticed the mistake, but the fed came back Accepted. Darn drat damn.  :wall:

We made an amendment. How much did we delay our client's federal refund? :dunno:

• Like 1

We made a mistake today on it. One of our new preparers didn't click some checkbox and line 61 didn't populate. Our reviewer also missed it, so she e-filed it. Less than 30 minutes later we noticed the mistake, but the fed came back Accepted. Darn drat damn.  :wall:

We made an amendment. How much did we delay our client's federal refund? :dunno:

Get your crystal ball out and look it up!!

If line 61 was checked, then don't worry and amend later if needed. Let the process go flawless and when the client receives the refund, then talk about amending.

This makes me think about this: What's better, to find your own practice's mistake and be worried about them, or never know about your mistakes or potential mistakes and drink your margaritas or wine happily?

• Like 2

I also am wondering about line 61. I have a family in which three members have exchange issued exemptions but the fourth family member is fully covered under the Chip program. On Form 8965 I find no way to indicate she is covered. If I check line 61 I am wondering if the Service will understand the coverage is only for the dependent or should I attach a note of explanation?

Christian, you should leave line 61 blank because not all members of the household had coverage. On form 8965, show only those that had an exemption. You do not need to show the one child that had CHIP coverage.

From the instructions for 8965, it says -

If you are unable to check the box on your Form 1040 series

return indicating that every member of your tax household had
minimum essential coverage in every month of 2014 (and therefore
you are filing Form 8965 to report or claim a coverage exemption or
are making a shared responsibility payment), you do not need to
take any action to indicate that some members of your tax
household had minimum essential coverage for some or all months
in 2014.

• Like 1