ATX Community

Virginia non resident return

grandmabee

which state?

VA only allows credits on the non-res return from AZ, CA, DC and OR

are you on for, OSC?  

there is a tab at the bottom to fill with the info

For DC, I only request the full amount that was withheld. Since DC residents don't pay taxes to VA, no credit involved.

the Part-year is pretty straight forward

use the VA Sch INC schedule to show which income was earned in VA vs. WI

be sure to enter the # of exemptions on page two.  It does not populate automatically even if there is only one.

VA divides income by spouse (gives an adjustment to the tax based on income of each)  so be sure to code F/S accurately

there is a tab on the VA760PY to show the itemized deductions paid while a VA resident.

if they moved from VA early in the year, they could possibly have no tax.  The VA thresholds are fairly high:  $11,950 for single and $23,900 for MFJ.

Thanks Hahn and Taxman.........those are good heads ups.  I don't know when he moved, but he is working in WI so assume he worked in VA and would have to file for a refund if nothing else.  Will see.  He was recommended by another client who works with him so I don't know much YET!  Thanks again.

Thanks Hahn and Taxman.........those are good heads ups.  I don't know when he moved, but he is working in WI so assume he worked in VA and would have to file for a refund if nothing else.  Will see.  He was recommended by another client who works with him so I don't know much YET!  Thanks again.

Virginia will be the easiest PY return you have prepared. It is piece of cake. If in doubt, post the figures and we will help you.

• Like 1