ATX Community

WINTER NEW INFO ADDED 2/2/15

kcjenkins

Thanks KC!  We closed our office today after a special weather statement from the National Weather Service that said something like: "due to all the snow that has fallen and the plummeting temperatures (dropping from 30 to -1) it could get slippery".  So I will telecommute today and see what tomorrow brings.

I love it Elrod!

• Like 3

shovel-snow-cartoon.jpg

Ha! My wife and I were out this morning trying to dig out our plow truck that got stuck. I looked over at her and asked if she thought we had got the 10 inches of snow that was predicted. She was standing in snow that was nearly waste deep. (She is 5'4") I think we got a surplus. Digging to no avail, after two hours we decided to call a bigger plow and a tow truck. All is good now. I am a little poorer, but at least I can traverse our 2,000 foot driveway. A friend is coming over tonight to help me put the snow blower on my 2720 John Deere. We are rapidly running out of space for the plow to put the snow.

• Like 2

Ha! My wife and I were out this morning trying to dig out our plow truck that got stuck. I looked over at her and asked if she thought we had got the 10 inches of snow that was predicted. She was standing in snow that was nearly waste deep. (She is 5'4") I think we got a surplus. Digging to no avail, after two hours we decided to call a bigger plow and a tow truck. All is good now. I am a little poorer, but at least I can traverse our 2,000 foot driveway. A friend is coming over tonight to help me put the snow blower on my 2720 John Deere. We are rapidly running out of space for the plow to put the snow.

We are also running out of places to put the snow.  The banks made by the snowblower are high enough that we can no longer blow over them for much of the driveway.  Last time that happened, my husband went out with snowshoes to pack down the piles.  Doesn't help that our driveway is bounded by stone walls, so we have to start off going above the level of the walls.

It was bleepity bleep-bleep freaking fracking COLD out there with the wind blowing ice crystals back in my face!

• Like 2

I sure am a-tired!

as for attire:

longjohns

wool socks

ski pants

jacket rated to -20F

boots rated to -20F

rabbit-fur hat (angora, knitted in, calm down folks - angora bunnies need to have excess fur removed for their health)

snowmobile gloves with air-activated handwarmers inside (these are actually the weakest part - have to hold blower handles so hard my hands start to go numb; they will be replaced with thin gloves, and handwarmers between the gloves and heavy over-mittens - just need to buy those two sets)

only my hands got nastily cold, and my face got a bit of windburn/ice-crystal-sting

KC - that West Virginian does not have snow.  Send him a couple hundred miles north to my place (or over to Catherine place) (or up to Eric's place) and we will show him snow.  I do not think his snow removal method will work in the 18 to 20 inches we got over the past 48 hours.

Cool video though!

• Like 1

I would love a day with the snow falling; no drop-ins; no phone calls.  February is nearly booked solid; not counting the mail-ins.  Then people call and can't understand why they can't get in "today or tomorrow".    All of these appts leave me little time to work and the sound of the phone is starting to make my skin crawl.  Last night I had a call at 7:30 PM.  I knew who was calling so I said, "The office closed at 5".  After all the "I'm sorries", I took her information as long as I had her on the line.  Turns out she wanted to let me know that she was getting married this summer.  Has been a widow for a while.  And, would I be able to do her fiancé's taxes too?  What a life.

• Like 1